Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tuesday Gosssssssip!!! Yes, I'm back!

Goo~ooood morning, good morning! I'm back from vacation refreshed and ready to start writing! I don't think I missed anything major while I was gone so let's just jump right into the soup.

Are you in Boston-Cambridge? Ritesh Sidhwani is going to be speaking at Harvard.


* I think this was the biggest story of the last few days - a three pack of Khans for the Dhoom series? It's probably just a rumor but it's an interesting one!! No word on whether Uday Chopra would 'unretire' himself for any Dhoom movies to follow Dhoom 3.

* The strike is likely to be called off.

* Ek Deewana Tha to be renamed Ek Flop Tha but Sid's Love Failure is a success! I still don't understand how Ek Main aur Ekk Tu managed to earn such positive reviews (except for this gem of a review) and result but the box office is a mystery.

* The running time of Agent Vinod has been revealed to be two and a half hours which is normal for a masala film but WAY too long for a plain action film. This is one area that Indian filmmakers trying to be "like Hollywood" always crash and burn in. The length of a masala film is tailored to include a comedy subplot, romance subplot, and 5 or so songs - no matter how good, an action film will eventually just drag at that length. (Let me tell you that by two hours into The Dark Knight I was ready for the film to end.)

* Catch up with Aashiqui star Anu Agarwal who has just written a book that I need to read.

Movies were never a dream. Being a star was never a dream. Mahesh Bhatt looked at me and said, “You are a star,” and I said, “Where? In the galaxy?” And he said, “You should act in movies.” And I said, “Movies? What Hindi movies? I don’t even watch them.”

* The always cordial Vivek Oberoi "manhandles" a journalist.

* No heroine yet for Rohit Shetty's Chennai Express aka the one film coming up that I might actually like Shahrukh in.

* Ooo! Priyamani signs a film opposite Ritesh Deshmukh and Ileana D'Cruz has also signed a few more Hindi films.

* Soha Ali Khan tapped for Sahib Biwi aur Gangster 2.

* Vidya Balan to do a comedy called Ghanchakkar?

* Dippy is back in Race 2. (Like it really matters who fills out the bikini top in an Abbas-Mustan film...)

* More information on Bebo's item songs in Heroine.

* Bebo is out of Once Upon A Time in Mumbaai 2.

* Songs.pk under fire for illegal hosting of songs.

* Sanjay Dutt has rejoined the Congress Party, which I'm sure made his sisters happy. But Shekhar Suman has resigned from Congress. Perhaps to relaunch his son?

* Rajkumar Santoshi dropped by the Bachchan house to recover the signing amount from Abhi for Ladies and Gentlemen.

* Pico Iyer's Vanity Fair piece on Ramoji Film City is unrevealing but the pictures are cool.

* This piece on the casting couch is much meatier.

A few months later, Janki bagged her first role in the film Shaque. "I was the main lead, playing the role of an NRI. The director Vinod Chhabra was a tough taskmaster and would yell at and humiliate the actors." "For a particular shot, the hero was required to challenge the girls by removing his shirt, while my character, in retaliation, would tear off her shirt to reveal her bra. I agreed to do the scene, but then the director told me that I needed to tear off my bra as well. I was aghast and refused, but the director and his production assistant convinced me that it was a split second shot. After a lot of convincing, I agreed to give the shot."

* This piece on Rishi Kapoor is also worth a read!

In a wonderfully unusual 1975 Filmfare profile of Raj Kapoor and his sons, the well-known non-filmi columnist Behram Contractor (better known as Busybee) described the beginning of the interview thus: ‘Rishi was nervous, tongue-tied and timid, and Daboo was respectful. Raj Kapoor is known to have this sort of influence on his sons… Seeing them sitting together opposite me, I had the strange impression that I was the principal of Campion School and Raj Kapoor had brought his two sons to be admitted.’

10 comments:

Moimeme said...

Welcome back! Yes, I did miss you, a LOT!! I also missed your post yesterday, since I was counting the days till Wednesday. :)

I'm glad you had a nice vacation, but I'm really looking forward to getting my daily fix again. :)

OG said...

Hey FG,

Welcome back!

I cannot understand the extremely bad reviews for "ek deewana tha"; the same reviewers liked EMAET, which was a horrible film.

EDT was a decent film and in certain scenes, I thought it was better, more nuanced than the original.

I was actually impressed by Amy Jackson and her acting; her tan in a scene or two looked wrong.......

As always, it again shows the deep devide between the north and the south on what constitutes "good cinema".

Sal said...

"I still don't understand how Ek Main aur Ekk Tu managed to earn such positive reviews . . ." - perhaps the film is actually *gasp* good? =p I thought it was rather lovely - low-key and sweet - though I do realize that a rom-com with Imran Khan is not your cup of tea.

Filmi Girl said...

@Moimeme Thanks!!! It's nice to hear from all my Internet friends again. ♥

@OG You know, I actually would have gone to see Ek Deewana Tha if I had been home over the weekend. I heard about her tan but I'm glad to hear she built on the promise of Madrassapattinam acting-wise. How was Prateik? He gets VERY mixed reviews... I'm not sure how to take him.

@Sal LOL!!! Keeping me honest, like always. I guess I'll have to accept that EMAET seems to have struck a nerve with some people. My disinterest is not so much the Imran factor (I liked Mere Brother) or the rom-com factor (love Jab We Met) but more my real hatred of the man-boy grows up with help of wacky girl trope. ;PP

OG said...

Hey FG,

Pratiek was decent in the role but he could have been better in certain emotional scenes. The actor "Manu Rishi" stole the show with his one-liners and his comic dialogs............

I was actually thinking about it and why the film garnered such bad reviews from the NI public and I think it all boils down to what the expectations are.......

Personally for me, I find many bollywood films hard to like because, very often the portrayal of us indians/india is not what the reality..... problems with religion/caste/race do exist in india and I almost always find that most B films tend to ignore all these realities and paint a picture of india that it wants... if you get my drift......

So while in a film like EMAET, religion is hardly brought up as a factor or discussed...everything is ok.... but in a film like EDT, these real factors (religion, parents apprioval etc) are shown... and is not ok with the NI public......

I do agree that we dont like realistic portrayals in our indian films, but I appreciate EDT for what is it... and the issues that it brought up.... as I have personally seen it happen so many times growing up...

Filmi Girl said...

@OG That is an interesting point!! I wonder... maybe part of it is Hindi films are aiming for the ABCD audience? Somebody born and raised in California is probably more used to thinking of "us" meaning desi (to include Pakistan, Nepal, even Afghanistan) than "us" meaning religion, class, race.

I will keep EDT in the back of my mind for a future Box Office Poison post. People seem to like the Box Office Poison posts about recent films more than older films.

OG said...

Yes FG, agree! that is the sad reality of B.

Anways, I think that you should go see the film if it is playing in the theatres now near you........

I would like your take on the film and heavy dose of stalker syndrome depicted in it.... as well... :)

btw, your "character verification" for writing comments is really hard... it takes me a couple of attempts to get it right :P

Sal said...

RE: Prateik, his voice and accent are issues. Menon had to tinker with his voice during post-production, and he still sounds a bit ridiculous in the promos. Pity, because he showed tremendous promise in both JTYJN and Dhobi Ghat. Also, re: OG's point about race/religion/caste issues in Bollywood, I think Dabanng, which was a huge commercial Hindi film, did a pretty good job of not ignoring those issues while not making them the focus of the narrative. Remember the scene in which Arbaaz cannot marry at the same "mandap" where Salman married the lower-caste potter's daughter? Also, Tashan did a lovely job of playing around with the desi India/ firangi India divide with humor. Of course, the latter tanked.
Also, FG, thanks for being such a trooper in dealing with differing opinions. :)

Filmi Girl said...

@Sal I love differing opinions!! It keeps life interesting. :D

Good point on Dabangg but I think it's the exception that proves the rule.

I think you're much more likely to find a Hindi film like EMAET than aDabangg at the theater. Of course, not every film has to bring up religion, etc but I thought OG made an interesting observation. I should probably stop commenting before I stick my foot in my mouth but when did that ever stop me before. LOL!

Divya said...

I had my problems with VTV but I really don't think EDT was deserving of the trashing it received at the hands of the critics. There was a review in the Hindusthan times were the reviewer was extremely condescending saying that the movie seemed like it belonged in the 70's and all I could think of was South Bombay is not the rest of the nation. Growing up middle class in SI I have seen situations like the movie potrays time and again. Shouldn't a reviewer for a prestigious publication actually judge a movie based on the milieu it is set in and not on his idealized version of society.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl