Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tuesday Gossip!

Are you in Seoul, South Korea? You can go and see some free Indian films at the CGV Apgujeong.

And are you prepared for another masterpiece from Taran Adarsh? He must have gotten the big bucks for his review of London Paris New York - 4.5 stars and so many fancy words...

Armed with an inventive and ingenious plot, LONDON PARIS NEW YORK owes its allegiance, to an extent, to the Hollywood movie [500] DAYS OF SUMMER than to the atypical Bollywood rom-com.

What does that even mean? This sentence makes no sense unless he means TYPICAL Bollywood rom-com. Did Taran accidentally select "antonym" instead of "synonym" in MS Word?

And then there is this... "[Ali Zafar] glows luminously all through the film."



* A new India-only online download service been launched. You can check it out over here.

* The Bollywood Eye is being relaunched in an online only edition. You can check out their new site over here. I'm not quite sure what they have to offer beyond the press release style reporting found in EVERY OTHER news site.

* Another family tragedy for Fardeen Khan - his auntie and sister have been killed in a car crash.

* Iqbal Sharma's wife tells her side of Punch Gate.

You don't fear a Bollywood boycott?

I've my integrity. If I didn't the course of my careeer in Bollywood would have been different. I don't need money from Bollywood to support myself or my family. I come from a very wealthy family. I don't do films for money. I do it because I've a strong creative streak. I actually come from a medical background. So they can bar me from Bollywood. You think I care? But I won't sell my soul to get little films after what they did to my family. I'm willing never to work in this industry. But I won't allow what was done to my father and husband to go unpunished.


I think I love Iqbal Sharma's wife.

* Meanwhile Saifu himself declares that he doesn't want to be seen as a victim... despite the fact that he's been whining about how he's been mistreated because of his celebrity since the incident occurred. Because we all know that if there is one thing that the Indian media and police force always do, it's mistreat Bollywood celebrities for fun. (That was sarcasm, by the way - as if the media would EVER do anything to mess up their relationship with Kareena Kapoor - and if that means putting up with Mr. Kareena Kapoor's inflated ego, that is what they'll do. Who exactly has been mistreating Saif? If anything, the press has bent over backwards to spread his side of the story around.)

* Gautham Menon does some postgame analysis on Ek Deewana Tha.

Quiz him on what could be the reason for this and he states, "This is a simple, old-fashioned romantic film. I've given it a realistic treatment. It isn't grand or out-of-this-world like the current Bollywood films, where a boy meets a girl and they hook up instantly."

I kind of love that he called out the glossy NRI rom-coms like Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu for being glossy and unrealistic.

* Trouble for Tigermanshu Dulia. Balwant Singh, the nephew of dacoit Paan Singh Tomar, has filed an FIR against him saying that he was promised 40 lakhs for his story. The film stars Irrfan Khan.

And no Tigermanshu clarifies that he has not signed Imran for Milan Talkies... yet.

* Vettai REMAKE NEWS... Shahid Kapoor for Arya's role. Now, if Maddy is cast again, we'll be all set. (Also, Shahid Kapoor was gifted a star by some fans. That makes me happy! Fans are the best!)

* Is Heroine based on Manisha Koirala's life?! The Bandar-car says no but what does he know...

* For all that talk from Shahrukh about how Ra.One was pushing technological boundaries, we all know who the REAL boundary pusher is - Rajinikanth. While Shahrukh is off in London playing the reanimated corpse of Raj/Rahul, Rajini is making a special effects spectacular that involves Andy Serkis-style image capture technology.

* And, lastly, I hate everything about this news story. Why is Ashutosh Gowarikar getting the Sleepless in Seattle scriptwriter to write a biopic on Rajiv Gandhi? WHY? You know it's that whole "on par with Hollywood" thing... He's probably been like, "Oh, the lack of an on-par-with-Hollywood script must be why both Khelein Hum Jee Jaan Sey and What's Your Raashee? bombed and not my terrible direction and editing and casting choices."



I WANT ALL OF THE DABANGG REMAKES!

This promo is too cute!

4 comments:

Chrism929 said...

I'm confused about the Saifgate incident. Was the father punched, or the husband, or both? It was an interesting interview, that seemed to be about real people, which is why I care, I guess.

Filmi Girl said...

@chrism929 (I love your kitty icon!)

The incident, as far as I understand it, is that Iqbal and his family requested that Saif & co. lower the volume at a restaurant, which Saif took extreme offense at. Saif confronted Iqbal, heated words were exchanged, and Saif punched him in the nose and possibly shoved the father-in-law, too.

Saif claims that he did NOT shove the father-in-law and that the reason he punched Iqbal was that Iqbal punched him first but according to what the media is saying the police are saying, witnesses not related either party are backing up Iqbal's version of events.

I'm assuming that Saif & co. were - at the very least - tipsy, but don't want to blame it on the alcohol.

Iqbal and his family really have nothing to gain from this incident so I, too, would be more apt to believe their story.

maxqnz said...

Mrs Sharma comes across very well in that interview. Ever since the whole dee shooting thing, I've had the belief that Saif thinks he really IS a nawab, & this incident strengthens that conviction. Nice to learn some background on the Sharmas and that they are connected to REAL movers & shakers.

maxqnz said...

That was "deer", of course. As for the "atypical" thing, the whole sentence is actually oddly structured. What struck me first about it was the absence of the word "more" or "rather" before the word "than". It could have been a mental slip too, going from thinking "the typical" to "a typical", and ending up with "the atypical".

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl