Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day?

As most of you have probably figured out by now, I'm not the biggest fan of romance. I think it gets mistaken for "love" more often than not - especially in films, and extra especially in films that follow in the footsteps of candyfloss like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

And while I'm of the firm opinion that candyfloss should not be the staple of anybody's media diet, that's not to say that candyfloss can't be enjoyable from time to time...

(Also, for two great takes on love and Hindi films, check out So They Dance on filmi friendships and Get Filmy on why the new breed of rom-coms aren't very satisfying.)

Here are a few of my favorite candyfloss songs in honor of Valentine's Day!

Do share your favorites in the comments!!





"You May Be" from Aladin (2010)

No lie - I actually woke up with this playing in my head this morning. Riteish Deshmukh flashing his big puppy dog eyes around... Jackie Fernandez giving that big glowing grin of hers... it just works for me!



"Mere Haath Mein" from Fanaa (2006)

I have plenty of issues with this film but the music isn't one of them. This is a gorgeous song with honey-dripped vocals from the one and only Sonu Nigaam. And when was the last time you saw Aamir Khan looking all chocolate boy hero-y? He and Kajol had some great chemistry...



"Falak Tak" from Tashaan (2008)

This song kills me every time!! I think part of the reason Akshay and Bebo pair so well together is that they both have very expressive faces. You can feel the romance between the two. (And I love the way Akshay just grabs all over her... who can blame him, really?)

Plus the song itself is just so pretty...



Bonus Evergreen Pick: "Dil Pukare Aa Re Aa Re" from Jewel Thief (1967)

While I am the type of person who generally fast forwards through slow, romantic songs (what?!) this is one that I will actually rewind to watch again. It's just so beautiful! Dev Anand is such an old smoothie. He could charm the pants off of anyone...



Bonus Tamil Pick: "Pookal Pookum" from Madrassapattinam (2010)

Just the opening bars are enough to give me shivers... this movie is one of the most romantic films I've ever seen and I think this captures it pretty well.

Arya is amazing (as to be expected) and if you haven't seen Amy Jackson in action, now is your chance!

2 comments:

Mette said...

That is just what I think every time I watch the Mere Haath Mein video - but then again, there is something cute about Aamir... it just doesn't show that often, because he probably doesn't want it to. I think he looked quite good in 3 Idiots too, even though that might be due to his make up and everything.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Carol said...

Dil Pukare is just SO sweet! When I hear that slow sounds of the beggining, it feels like my heart is melting. And I thought I was the only person who loved Falak Tak, I'm glad I was wrong. Udit's voice is amazing in it.

I love a LOT of those covered-by-sugar songs. Yeh Mera Prem Patra from Sangam is one of them. Since I have a huge crush for Rafi's voice and Rajendra Kumar , everything in it seems to be perfect for me.

Humko Tumse from Amar Akbar Anthony is not exactly this kind of song, but I always find it very romantic. Tere Bina from Guru it's like.. made by God. I don't believe in God, but If He/She existed, it was only to create that song.

Now, one song that makes me fall in love with everything around is Bahara from the awful IHLS. I don't care at all for Sonam or Imran, I make my own love-song-video for this one.

Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna and Tumhi Dekho Naa make me cry almost everytime I hear them, and I'm serious about it. KANK was my second Bolly film, I have good memories of it. Everything was so new, people were singing to express their love! :)

Jab Se Tere Naina is amazing too. And...oh, how could I forget? Baharon Phool Barsao from Suraj. I have something with Rajendra and Vyjayanthi, obviously.

As anyone can see, I like romance ;P

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl