Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Gossip!

Are you in Singapore? Mika Singh is playing at University Cultural Centre Hall, NUS. 4 Feb, 7:30pm.

If you are in Trinidad, Ash King will be performing on March 10th
.

DC, Maryland, Virginia peoples - Salim-Sulaiman on March 2nd! I already got my ticket!! Should be a fun concert!

No new releases at my theater this week... maybe I'll watch another classic for you instead!! I should also have up an interview with Omi Vaidya talking about Jodi Breakers and my flops feature on that epic piece of cinema Yaadein aka Subhash Ghai's Watch Out For The Crocodile.



* Congratulations to Ritesh Deshmukh and Genelia D'Souza, newlyweds!

* Read a nice piece on ghazal singer Mehdi Hassan.

According to composer Arshad Mahmud, a director at Karachi’s National Academy of Performing Arts, Hassan contributed to Pakistani music by experimenting with and popularizing the ghazal, a genre traditionally if not wholly reserved for female singers such as Begum Akhtar and Mukhtar Begum. “He could make even the most intricate pieces sound effortless,” says Mahmud. Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s “Gulon May Rang Bhare” and Ahmed Faraz’s “Ab Ke Hum Bichray” are among the works that benefited from Hassan’s experimentations. Both ghazals found mainstream success through incorporation into Lollywood soundtracks. Mahmud says Hassan’s feigned vocal simplicity made him far more accessible to lay listeners than some of his more baroque successors, such as Ghulam Ali.

* Review of a new book on Jazz in Mumbai.

Its publisher, Roli Books, has done everything possible to sabotage our enjoyment. Foxtrot’s format makes it an awkward read: too bulky and heavy to curl up with, it frustrated my attempts to cosy up to the historical narrative. Yet it’s too small, and its cover too oddly anodyne, to sit conspicuously on a coffee table. Roli also published Bombay Then/Mumbai Now, a gorgeous photographic book with text from Fernandes that I admired from my first, languid flip through. Foxtrot, though crammed full of photographs, doesn’t give up its secrets so easily. At 192 well-illustrated pages, the text is all too brief, but poring through it, I often wished for a paperback.

* Life as a DJ in Delhi.

Earlier that evening I’d met Sunantha at Gurgaon’s packed Sahara Mall. Sporting a poker-straight bright blonde-orange bob, green pants and a laptop bag on her shoulder, she stood awkward and guarded behind an arrangement of large flowerpots that looked onto the lobby of the mall where families pushed children into playpens, couples surreptitiously convened at CafĂ© Coffee Day and late-evening shoppers began their escapades. The beginning of her workday marked the end of everyone else’s, and the guarded look she wore had become second nature—now 22, Sunantha has been a resident DJ at a local club since she was 19.

DJ Sammy seems like a real firecracker!

* O ho! Prakash Jha is not doing a remake of Ko - he's making a film about the Naxalite movement, starring Abhishek Bachchan as a Naxalite. So... yeah, I won't be seeing it then. ("I hate my life!")

* Will there be a film on the Barak Misslle Scandal? (I think that's what they are referring to here.)

* Sanjay Dutt is going to groove in the Zilla Ghaziabad item song.

* Jackie Shroff in Rajnikanth's Kochadaiyaan.

* Priyanka Chopra is the latest Bollywood personality to try to make it in Hollywood.



"Pee Pa" from Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya. You have no idea how much I wish this movie looked more promising... I'm Ritesh Deshmukh Fan No. 1 over here and even I think this is going to bomb. Unless by some miracle the promos are all just really poorly cut. (Maybe?)



Trailer for Ishq which I'm posting because Nitya Menon is adorbs.

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl