Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday Gossip!

For anybody in Dubai, the Vishal-Shekhar concert has been postponed.

And for anybody in DC, Atlanta, or Texas - Salim-Sulaiman are coming in concert! In March! Tour dates and tickets are here. Also touring with them are Benny Dayal and Shradda Pandit. I'm not going to miss this! It should be a good show!

Today in gossip - SRK, Q, NNM, and a whole host of other initials! Don't you want to know...



* Koimoi has really been trying to crank up page hits with this Salman vs Shahrukh fan feud. The latest volley is actually kind of cute - 10 Reasons Why A Fan Loves Shahrukh. I don't necessarily agree with his assessment but it's nice to see some positive fanboying. (Related: This photo cracked me up. It looks like SRK is photobombing Kalki and Anurag!)

And BehindWoods has an angry guest post on another hot button issue - Southern stereotyping in Hindi films.

Another movie that got on my nerve was Ra.One. Shah Rukh Khan, shame on you! You have the nerve to make South Indians as caricatures and then translate your flop movie into Tamil and release it in South India.

* My favorite acid-tongued media personality Q makes an appearance!

“The thing about a Rajinikanth movie, and for that matter, most movies that I have seen in the south, is that they are honest enough to acknowledge the level of imagination that a movie-goer is willing to accept. Now obviously, he watches it and enjoys it — What else is cinema if not the maker’s imagination? Unfortunately Bollywood has some trouble recognising this.”

* Read a nice profile on Dhanush.

Compared to the other mainstream stars in the Tamil film industry, Dhanush survives largely by his immense talent and smart instincts. In almost all his films, he cleverly played the underdog, making a virtue of his “bad” and “puny” looks and the poor or modest background that the protagonist came from. But the same underdog, despite the initial destitution or aimlessness, would go on to succeed and win a smashing girl through sheer persistence and hard work. For millions of average youth of his age on the streets, this clever and conscious stereotyping worked big time.

* Amy Jackson talks to her hometown newspaper.

“It was hard leaving everyone behind, my mum and dad and all my friends and family back in Liverpool, but I tried not to think about it too much because if I had I would have been worried and nervous. I do miss my mum’s Sunday roasts, though, and my Galaxy caramels,” she laughs. “I brought back some Supernoodles in September, but a few of my friends are coming out for the premiere here soon so I’m going to get everyone to stock up for me.”

* Karan Johar talks Agneepath.

Why didn't you direct it yourself?

I am incapable of directing a film like Agneenath. I can do only what I am good at, so I would have been the worst choice to direct it. It has aggression, action and an inherent violence in it - things I am not capable of directing in my films.


* I like that the point of this piece is to convince us that the Bhatts aren't settling for Emraan Hashmi, they're choosing him. Also, Jannat 2 is going to be about the illegal arms trade.

Emraan is really a mediocre actor, isn't he? But I got to respect the man's staying power. Clearly he's doing something right.

* I didn't know the Ladies Vs Ricky Bahl girl Dipannita Sharma was going to be in Jodi Breakers! Read an interview with her.

These days you pick up a glossy or watch a fashion show and you see Bollywood stars gracing the covers and walking the ramp.That definitely is a matter of concern for upcoming models, as Bollywood is encroaching on the space that belongs to models, but Dipannita’s concern is different. “I think film divas walking the ramp as showstoppers or gracing the cover of glossies is nothing but a PR drive. It shouldn’t be a matter of worry. In my opinion, actors can be showstoppers, but they can’t walk or pose like models. A fashion show can’t be pulled off by film stars alone. You have to have models to showcase your designs, right?"

* Everything about this description on Sachiin Joshi's new film is delightful.

After being a part of Azaan, a slick action thriller last year, entrepreneur turned actor Sachiin Joshi plays a whimsical cop in a hard-hitting flick that is based on the controversial subject of dance bars.

I like the idea of a whimsical cop in a hard-hitting action flick. It makes me think of Anil Kapoor from Race roaming around eating fruit when he's suddenly air-dropped into a Ram Gopal Varma flick with blood splattered around everywhere and then here comes Madhur Bandar-car with some exploitative T&A while pretending to be progressive and you have yourself a film! Somebody call up the Filmfare jury!

* Shahid Kapoor has also refused VVC's Chitthiyan and Asin has refused Shootout at Wadala.

* Dangerous Ishq teaser should be out soon!!

* A celebration being planned to mark the 100th anniversary of the Hindi film industry.

* Shabana Azmi, Dharmendra, and Mira Nair were awarded the Padma Bhushan. And Manoj Kumar is to be felicitated at the Apsara Awards (which will be hosted by Karan Johar and Farah Khan.)

* Lisa Haydon signed for an item number in Cherry's Racha.

* Genelia D'Souza to take a break after marriage?

* Important Neil Nitin Mukesh alert - he's singing a song for Shortcut Romeo. He's also threatening to release an album. Neil, dude, genes and money are not enough to make you a singer and/or an actor. You also need to hone your craft and I don't see that you've taken anytime to study acting or singing properly.



Yes, it's here! The infamous Agent Vinod teaser featuring Old Plastic Face himself! Will we see it release in 2012? WILL WE?



And to cleanse your palate - a flash mob for Pride Week on Marine Drive! I love that guy working it in the red-stripe shirt! Go! Go!

5 comments:

Moimeme said...

Hey, FG, I think you forgot to close the bold tag after your item on Agneepath.

BTW, I finally caught up w/ your interview with Pitobash. I was putting it off till I watched SIC (which I've had on my shelf for months now), but finally decided to give in and read.

I thought you usually conduct your interviews via email (or possibly phone) but it seems you did this one in person? Great!

Moimeme said...

Oh, and it's "BehindWoods", not "Behind the Woods".

KimT said...

I think I'm really excited about Agent Vinod. I think the role might play perfectly to Saif Ali Khan's strengths: mean, badass playboy type. Must say, also, he's looking fine in this (and Kareena will have fun styling I hope). It's always a plus when the mullet goes missing and I like a bit of scruff on my Khans.

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme Fixed it! Thanks!

OG said...

hey FG,

We have this joke about Emraan Hashmi; that the man first listens to the songs before signing a film coz no matter how mediocore the film is, the music is almost always superb in his films..... dont know how he manages it :)

and Thanks for linking the Behindwoods post! It does get irritating when I see the stereotypes....... considering the fact that the South of the country does much better than the north on most socio-economic factors......

That was a major issue I had with "The dirty picture". They should have just based the story out of mumbai coz people speaking in hindi in the heart of tamil country sounded so ridiculous and the caricatures were also very bad!

Btw, Have you seen Dhsnush's Aadukalam.....He won the national award for it..... it is an awesome film (minus the heroine part)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl