Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wednesday Gossip!

Today in gossip... Komal Nahta tries to explain why producers don't care if audiences are indifferent to their films; Abhishek's bad box office record gets him dropped from a film; Saif's daughter makes her magazine cover debut; and MORE!


* Komal Nahta explains Bollywood's new profit making model.

In recent times, a number of films have proved to be plus fares not as much for their content as for the boom in satellite market and subsidies offered by governments of different countries to producers shooting their films there. That is to say, the money is coming in not so much from the public at the box-office but from other sources.

This is actually an interesting piece. Not so much for his explanation of where the money is coming from as his justification for why he feels okay calling films that the public was indifferent to "hits" because they made back money from subsidies and other sources.

Our stand is clear: if revenues, from whatever sources, of a film exceed the investment in it, we have to term it a success even if the theatrical earnings are comparatively low. Imagine calling a film which gives a 25% return on investment a flop merely because it got most of the earnings from non-theatrical sources. Yes, some exhibitors may not have earned much from such films, and, in some cases, may have even lost in them (if they had paid fancy MGs) but that can’t be enough reason to call a profitable film flop.

In other words, the viewers and distributers don't matter in the new Bollywood mechanics. They aren't making films to please us anymore.

* Eros Entertainment might buy the B4U channels.

NDTV has learnt that that B4U, which is co-promoted by steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, is looking for a valuation of USD 150 million and if this deal goes through it will mark Eros's entry into the niche Bollywood channel genre.

As long as they don't run those stupid ads from the DVDs before every video... I hate EROS DVDS!! You can never skip past those ads!!

* Bollywood is in a muddle over whether or not smoking is allowed in films.

* The producers and directors listed in this piece clearly need to read my list of Bossest Women OVER the age of 30.

While not exactly conceding that a pair's novelty wears off after a few films, Ramesh Taurani, producer of Race and its forthcoming sequel maintains that actresses like Rani Mukerji, who has worked with the three 45-year old Khans - Aamir, Salman and Shah Rukh - is doing very well on her own. In fact, they're doing women-oriented films," he points out, adding that Katrina (now 27) and Deepika certainly add the glamour quotient. "In Race and Race 2, we needed a comparatively newer girl. A new casting brings a different freshness to the film."

So, once an actress has "paired" with a hero a certain number of times, she's old news and has to go to "women-oriented" films? FU Producer.

If that's true, then why is everybody chomping at the bit for Talaash, which has Rani and Bebo paired with Aamir?

* Speaking of Aamir, Juhi Chawla sounds like she hasn't forgiven Shahrukh yet. Some journo asked her about working with Shahurkh and she said she was "too old" but then she said she would like to work with Aamir.

She said, “Aamir thinks through things before starting a project.”.

* Akshay, I love you, but I kind of hope this project goes to Aamir instead. While I would certainly love to see Akki in a serious film about AIDS the press would be merciless and I can't handle months of people tearing him down (again). It's better that Aamir do it.

* Vettai hasn't even been released yet and we're already talking remake starring Salman Khan.

* I don't know why it tickles me that Kiccha Sudeep and Vivek Oberoi are BFF but it totally does. They tweet at each other all the time.

* Bobby Deol is missing from the Players promotions not because he's lazy but because he's the surprise element. Got that?

* And as for Abhishek...

So how do you rate your movies and your performances?

Honestly speaking, I don't like my films.When I watch them, I see a lot of scope for improvement, so if I were to see any of my films, like "Dhoom", I might say... 'It would have been better if...' or 'had it been ...' and this is all about evolving.


To be fair, if my filmography included things like Game, I wouldn't want to watch them either.

* Maybe Abhishek should take more care with his film choices... he's just been dropped from the remake of Businessman because of his track record.

Confirming the news, Puri said, “After looking at Abhishek’s recent track record, we realised it won’t be in favour of the film. He doesn’t have enough fire that the movie demands. I want to cast Mahesh Babu in the Hindi remake now. Though Mahesh is not too fluent with Hindi, it shouldn’t be a problem considering his increasing popularity.”

* This should be good... Radhika Apte is making a film with Ko parallel lead Ajmal Ameer.

* WOW! Saif and Amrita's daughter Sara makes her covergirl debut. She's gorgeous!!

2 comments:

Moimeme said...

I wondered if you'd see that article on Juhi. I'm glad you caught it.

Calena said...

"As long as they don't run those stupid ads from the DVDs before every video... I hate EROS DVDS!! You can never skip past those ads!!" WORD! I'm investing my hard earned money instead of getting a pirated version of the net, and they make me sit through ages of ads???!!!! I was fuming the first time I put an Eros DVD in, but know I've grown wiser, pop it in and get popcorn etc. while the non skipable ads run on their own.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl