Friday, January 6, 2012

Colors Screen Awards Nominations 2012

Yes, it's that time of year again... AWARDS SEASON! Let's take a look at who made the cut for the Colors Screen Awards and possibly get a taste of who we'll be seeing parading around stage this winter.


BEST FILM


DELHI BELLY
NO ONE KILLED JESSICA
SHAITAN
SHOR IN THE CITY
THE DIRTY PICTURE
ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA

[Delhi Belly? Really? And no Dhobi Ghat or Rockstar... interesting.]

BEST DIRECTOR


ABHINAY DEO - DELHI BELLY
BEJOY NAMBIAR - SHAITAN
KRISHNA D.K, AND RAJ NIDIMORU - SHOR IN THE CITY
MILAN LUTHRIA - THE DIRTY PICTURE
RAJKUMAR GUPTA - NO ONE KILLED JESSICA
ZOYA AKHTAR - ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA

[Are you kidding me with that Abhinay Deo crap? DID YOU EVEN SEE GAME?! But I'm excited to see Zoya and Raj & DK listed. Again lack of Dhobi Ghat and Rockstar is surprising.]

BEST ACTOR


AJAY DEVGN - SINGHAM
AMITABH BACHCHAN - AARAKSHAN
R MADHAVAN - TANU WEDS MANU
RANBIR KAPOOR - ROCKSTAR
SHAH RUKH KHAN - DON 2

[You know what I have to say about SRK being nominated... L.O.L. If that ham-act counted why isn't Sallu up here for Bodyguard and/or Ready? Hmm? Riddle me that! Oh, right, they just want SRK to show up on television and/or this is in lieu of being paid.]

BEST ACTRESS


KALKI KOECHLIN - SHAITAN
KANGANA RANAUT - TANU WEDS MANU
PRIYANKA CHOPRA - SAAT KHOON MAAF
RANI MUKERJI - NO ONE KILLED JESSICA
VIDYA BALAN - NO ONE KILLED JESSICA
VIDYA BALAN - THE DIRTY PICTURE

[WOW! When was the last time you saw such a strong field for Best Actress!! Brava, ladies! It would have been nice to get Bebo in there for Bodyguard and Kat for Mere Brother but...]

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR


ARUNODAY SINGH - YEH SAALI ZINDAGI
KUNAL ROY KAPUR - DELHI BELLY
NEIL NITIN MUKESH - SAAT KHOON MAAF
RAJESH SHARMA - NO ONE KILLED JESSICA
SAIF ALI KHAN - AARAKSHAN

[LOLING FOREVER at Saif included here.]

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS


ADITI RAO HYDARI - YEH SAALI ZINDAGI
KIRTI KULHARI - SHAITAN
PARINEETI CHOPRA - LADIES VS RICKY BAHL
POORNA JAGANNATHAN - DELHI BELLY
SWARA BHASKARA - TANU WEDS MANU

[Parineeti! Swara! Poorna! Another great field!]

BEST ACTOR IN A NEGATIVE ROLE


ABHIMANYU SINGH - I AM
AMOLE GUPTE - STANLEY KA DABBA
JIMMY SHEIRGILL - SAHAB BIWI AUR GANGSTER
PRAKASH RAJ - SINGHAM
PRASHANT NARAYAN - MURDER 2

[To quote one of my favorite films: Jimmy Aja! Jimmy... AJA!]

BEST ACTRESS IN A NEGATIVE ROLE


KAINAZ MOTIWALA - RAAGINI MMS
KALKI KOECHLIN - SHAITAN
MAHIE GILL - SAHAB BIWI AUR GANGSTER
PRIYANKA CHOPRA - SAAT KHOON MAAF

[Interesting that this category is here... I don't recall seeing this before.]

BEST COMEDIAN


DIVYENDU - PYAR KA PANCHNAMA
KUNAL ROY KAPUR - DELHI BELLY
PITOBASH - SHOR IN THE CITY
VIJAY RAAZ - DELHI BELLY
VINAY PATHAK - CHALO DILLI

[Pitobash! Congrats, brother!]

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST


CHILLAR PARTY - NAMAN JAIN, DIVIJ HANDA, ROHAN GROVER, IRFAN KHAN, VEDANT DESAI, SANATH MENON, AARAV KHANNA, CHINMAY CHANDRANSHUH, VISSHESH TIWARI
DELHI BELLY - IMRAN KHAN, KUNAL ROY KAPOOR, POORNA JAGANNATHAN, VIJAY RAAZ, SHERNAZ TREASURYVALA AND VIR DAS
SHAITAN - RAJEEV KHANDELWAL, KALKI KOECHLIN, KIRTI KULHARI, GULSHAN DEVIAH, SHIV PANDIT, NEIL BHOOPALAM
YEH SAALI ZINDAGI - ARUNODAY SINGH, ADITI RAO HYDARI, CHITRANGDA SINGH, IRRFAN KHAN
ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA - ABHAY DEOL, FARHAN AKHTAR, HRITHIK ROSHAN, KATRINA KAIF AND KALKI KOECHLIN

[I didn't see any of these other than ZNMD but the ensemble nature of the film topped any individual performances.]

MOST PROMISING NEWCOMER (MALE)


DIVYENDU - PYAR KA PANCHNAMA
PITOBASH - SHOR IN THE CITY
RANA DAGGUBATI - DUM MAARO DUM
SAQIB SALIM - MUJHSE FRAANDSHIP KAROGE
SENTHIL RAMAMURTHY - SHOR IN THE CITY

[Yay for Pitobash and Saqib Saleem! If you didn't see Mujse Fraandship Karoge... shame on you!]

MOST PROMISING NEWCOMER (FEMALE)


KIRTI KULHARI - SHAITAN
PARINEETI CHOPRA - LADIES VS RICKY BAHL
POORNA JAGANNATH - DELHI BELLY
SABA AZAD - MUJHSE FRAANDSHIP KAROGE

[Another strong field! LADIES! You guys rocked this year!]

I actually have to go to work now but you can check the technical nominations over here... Nice to see Sachin-Jigar getting some love. Those two are music directors to watch out for.

6 comments:

Sal said...

All that hate for Delhi Belly, but from what I remember, you haven't watched it, correct? Toilet humor is not my thing, just because I don't have a strong stomach for that sort of thing, but the film was really well-made and well-acted. Also, I doubt they'd give Shahrukh a nom just to have him turn up,since the rest of the nominations are so interesting and generally fair (Kalki over Katrina or Kareena? Even though she can't dance to her hit songs at the ceremony?) From what I'e gathered, people have really responded to him playing the baddie again. I'm not sure if it's a hammy performance; it's definitely a stylized one.I didn't quite buy into it, but it was interesting. Nominating Salman for an acting prize, on the other hand, is always a joke. The only time I could get on board with it was Dabanng. A tailor-made role in a genuinely good film, and he did it full justice.

Filmi Girl said...

@Sal One minor correction - the hate was for Deo, NOT for Delhi Belly. It's true I never saw it but I did see Game, which was put together so shoddily that I highly doubt he had much to do with putting together the final cut of Delhi Belly at all. His nomination is a joke.

Re: SRK, my point was more that if he's getting nominated for a "stylized" performance than shouldn't we recognize Salman's "stylized" performances, too? From everything I read SRK in Don 2 did as much actual acting as Salman did in Bodyguard.

I happen to like Salman's style; other people like SRK's. I'm not disputing that - but to call either "acting" is a bit rich.

harveypam said...

Am shocked to see no mention of Dhobi Ghat in the nominations!

Filmi Girl said...

@harveypam I was, too! It's another film I didn't see because I knew I would find it boring but it was very well reviewed and seemed like a solid middlebrow art film... plus the Aamir Khan connection means it should have been awards season gold!

Sal said...

I was surprised about the exclusion of Dhobi Ghat too. I kinda hoped Prateik would get some sort of attention. Oh, well.

Moimeme said...

Doesn't Aamir keep all films produced by him out of all awards shows? There was some discussion on this on other forums (whether it was fair to the other people involved in the film). I think he announced this after getting flak from the Peepli Live director.

OTOH, I think I have seen Dobhi Ghat nominated in some other awards, so perhaps this is not true.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl