Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Top 11 Top 11 Lists of 2011 #9

Counting down to 2012, I thought it would be fun to do my Top 11 Top 11 Lists of 2011!

List 11 - Top 11 Indian Film Songs According to Filmi Girl's iTunes

List 10 - Top 11 Scene Stealers of 2011

And LIST NUMBER 9!


Top 11 Films I Never Got A Chance To See in 2011

[Alternate Title: People Need To Start Sending Me Screeners]

#11 Rockstar/Dirty Picture (Hindi)


Why I want to see them? Honestly, I’m not terribly anxious to see either one except to both join in the conversation surrounding the films and to see some amazing performances from two of my favorite Bollywood actors - Ranbir Kapoor and Vidya Balan. Rockstar and Dirty Picture belong to a genre of films gratingly nicknamed “Hindies” - films that take their visual and narrative cues from what we can call the Miramax style of filmmaking. It’s a style I don’t find all that engaging in English language films and one I find as equally un-engaging in Hindi language films but it seems to the way middlebrow Hindi films are headed (which explains a lot about the rest of my list, if you dare to check it out!)


#10 Krishnanum Radhayum (Malayalam)
Directed by: Santhosh Pandit
Starring: Alien Star Santhosh Pandit
Trailer: Here


Why I want to see it? Come on, yaar! This was the SURPRISE hit of this Diwali!! Alien Star Santhosh Pandit’s labor of love became the surprise so-bad-it’s-good hit of 2011.

Here is the synopsis according to Kottaka.com: John(Santhosh Pandit) and Radha are spouses born in rich families. But they don’t have their families support since they had a love marriage. They were struggling financially and were in the middle of several other problems. Moreover they had set themselves certain criteria for their life and were struggling to fulfill them. In addition to all these two young girls Rugmini and Sreelatha come to their life causing more chaos. A lot of villains also team up to make John’s and Radha’s life worse.

The trailers went viral in Kerala and the film ran housefull from the first show!! With no other producers releasing new films because of fear from competition of Ra.One, 7aum Arivu, and Velayutham, the Alien Star must have been crying all the way to the bank at the critical drubbing his film recieved.

I need to see this.

#9 Aaranya Kaandam (Tamil)
Directed by: Thiagarajan Kumararaja
Starring: JACKIE SHROFF (!!!!!!!!!!)
Trailer: Here



Why I want to see it? Jackie Shroff being a gangster. The plot is your standard gangster-heist film (I think) but with the added bonus of JACKIE SHROFF. The trailer sells it as a really dark noir film and that is exactly what I want to see from it.

#8 Vishuvardhana (Kannada)
Directed by: P. Kumar
Starring: Kiccha Sudeep, Priyamani, Bhavana Menon... AND SONU FREAKING SOOD!
Trailer: Here



Why I want to see it? By all accounts, this film is a lot of fun. Plus, it stars Kiccha Sudeep battling it out against Sonu Sood. The plot, as far as I can piece together, is your typical stream-of-consciousness masala plot but the performances are supposed to really sell this one. And I'm buying.

#7 I Am Kalam/Chillar Party/Stanley Ka Dabba (Hindi)





Why I want to see them? I combined these into a three-fer because they are all films starring young boys and dealing with children’s issues. I’ve heard excellent thing about all three (especially Stanley Ka Dabba) and would love a chance to see them for myself.

#6 Murder 2 (Hindi)
Directed by : Mohit Suri
Starring: Emraan Hashmi, Jacqueline Fernandez
Trailer: Here



Why I want to see it? I’ll be honest... Murder 2 looks like a buttload of fun. The plot is a ridiculous soapy mess and will most likely contain lots of opportunities for Jackie F. to be unclothed. Besides, it’s been declared the Year of The Hashmi by the media and I feel obligated to see his solo-hero flick.

#5 Bubble Gum (Hindi)
Directed by: Sanjivan Lal
Starring: Nobody I’d heard of
Trailer: Here



Why I want to see it? Usually the words “sensitive coming-of-age drama” send me screaming in the other direction but Bubble Gum seems to be the rare film about young teenagers that isn’t overly saccharine and nostalgic. By all accounts, it’s a very sweet watch.

#4 Lifeu Ishtene (Kannada)
Directed by: Pawan Kumar
Starring: Diganth
Trailer: Here



Why do I want to see it? To be honest, I’ve avoided looking up the plot so that I won’t be spoiled but I’m assuming it’s a slice-of-life film but after the beautiful Manassare, I trust Pawan Kumar to deliver the goods and the talented - and oh, so handsome - Diganth is always worth a watch! On top of that, music by Mano Murthy makes this a must-see for Filmi Girl!

ETA: This film is available for legal streaming with English subtitles! More information available HERE.

#3 Saheb Biwi aur Gangster (Hindi)
Directed by: Tigermanshu Dhulia
Starring: Jimmy Shergill, Mahie Gill, some dopey male model Randeep Hooda
Trailer: Here



Why do I want to see it? Frankly, I’m just curious! I’ve had a handful of people I trust really praise this one and the plot sounds interesting. A tangled royal love triangle in a dusty North Indian town? Yes, please!

Besides, Tanu Weds Manu reawoke my love affair with Jimmy Shergill earlier this year and to see him in a starring role... well, that is something I demand to see.

#2 Deiva Thirumagal (Tamil)
Directed by: A.L. Vijay
Starring: Vikram, Anushka Shetty
Trailer: Here.



Why do I want to see it? There are two main reasons. 1) Vijay directed Madrasapattinam, which is one of my favorite films... of all time. 2) It stars Vikram. There are a handful of heroes that I will see in anything. Vikram is one.

In Deiva Thirumagal, Vikram plays a mentally challenged adult who ends up with a daughter and has to take care of her. Or something. The important part is that it stars Vikram and the trailer made me cry, which means that the film will make me sob delicious melodrama tears.

#1 Avan Ivan (Tamil)
Directed by: Bala
Starring: Arya, Vishal
Trailer: Here



Why do I want to see it? I am a Bala fangirl, plain and simple. The fact that Avan Ivan received what those in the publicity business call “mixed reviews” does not damper my enthusiasm in the slightest. Arya and Vishal starring as half-brothers who are petty thieves, backed by a capable cast of character actors, and featuring a cameo by Suriya. Obviously, I want to see this. It may have a shaggy screenplay and the dialogues may not be as hilarious has people expected but if it’s by Bala, it will be worth watching.

2 comments:

Moimeme said...

Quite an eclectic list there, Filmi Girl! That being so, I'm sad that no Telugu film made it onto your list, which says more about the state of the Telugu industry than about your taste, I think. :)

I, too, want to see the three children's films you mentioned, but I have managed to see only Chillar Party, which I recommend highly.

pixel pitz said...

Chillar Party is on netflix instant, I believe.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl