Monday, December 26, 2011

Top 11 Top 11 Lists of 2011 #11

Counting down to 2012, I thought it would be fun to do my Top 11 Top 11 Lists of 2011! Here is number 11...

TOP 11 INDIAN FILM SONGS OF 2011... according to Filmi Girl's iTunes

One of the many features of Apples iTunes is a counter that tracks how many "plays" a song has gotten. Here are the top 11 film songs ranked in ascending order by how many times they were played by me this year.

11. "Neduvaali" from Osthe (Tamil)
Singer(s): Rahul Nambiar, Mahathi
Music Director: S. Thaman



Why I like it: The chorus. "Neduvaali" is a mid-tempo stomp along song that just explodes into this raucous chorus! The drums don't stop and neither do your feet stop tapping... "Neduvaali" is just a fun mash of horns, drums, and autotuned vocals.



10. "Character Dheela (Ishq Ke Naam)" from Ready (Hindi)
Singer(s): Neeraj Shridhar, Amrita Kak
Music Director: Pritam



Why I like it: I think this one just got stuck in my head like bubblegum. It's got a chewy-chewy rhythm and a sticky sweet consistency. Once you hear it, you can't escape it! (Plus, Zarine looks amaz~ing in the picturization!)

9. "Aaranne Aarane" from Urumi (Malayalam)
Singer(s): Job Kurian, Rita
Music Director: Deepak Dev



Why I like it: This song is just soaked through with an earthy, rainy feel. The instrumentation is sparse but rich and I love the emotion in Job Kurian's voice. This is one I definitely kept hitting "repeat" on.

8. "Khwabon Ke Parindey" from Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara (Hindi)
Singer(s): Mohit Chauhan, Alyssa Mendonsa
Music Director: Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy



Why I like it: Like a breeze blowing in through an open window, Alyssa Mendosa's vocals feel cool and refreshing against my ears. The Latin feel to the song is unusual for Bollywood but fits completely the film it's taken from.

7. "Chill Maro" from Double Dhamaal (Hindi)
Singer(s): Mika Singh (obviously!)
Music Director: Anand Raj Anand



Why I like it: I'm kind of inappropriately attached to the Double Dhamaal soundtrack which, for my money, is the best party album of 2011. "Chill Maro" spent a lot of time being the soundtrack for me doing the dishes or vacuuming or other chores where a snappy tune came in handy to motivate. Dishes are a lot more fun when you wash while swinging your hips in time to "Chill Maro..."

6. "Chammak Challo" from Ra.One (Hindi)
Singer(s): Akon, Hamsika Iyer
Music Director: Vishal-Shekhar



Why I like it: Most of the plays on this song came from between the time it was leaked in the spring and some time in late summer when I started getting really, really tired of Ra.One. With a few months distance between me and "the film" I'm back to being able to appreciate how much fun Akon singing in Hindi is... although "Criminal" is still a piece of shit song.

5. "Body Guard" from Body Guard (Hindi)
Singer(s): Band of Power
Music Director: Himesh Reshemmiya



Why I like it: IT'S ALL ABOUT THE GUITAR RIFF! Oh, man, this song gets me pumped up big time. It's essentially a big pile of drums and chanty vocals about how awesome Salman Khan is... that get taken to the next level every chorus with an awesome guitar riff. This song PWNS. Fact.

4. "Char Baj Gayi" from F.A.L.T.U. (Hindi)
Singer(s): Hard Kaur
Music Director: Sachin-Jigar



Why I like it: Come on, yaar! How can my girl Hard Kaur not make my TOP SONGS of 2011?! It's a classic Hard Kaur party track - after one listen you're singing along, demanding ek glassy aur.

3. "Karma is a Bitch" from Shor in the City (Hindi)
Singer(s): Suraj Jagan, Priya Panchal
Music Director: Sachin-Jigar



Why I like it: I actually didn't realize until just now that Sachin-Jigar did two of my favorite soundtracks of 2011. I don't usually pay attention to lyrics but the ones for this song (by Sameer) work extremely well. Unlike most of the others songs tipped as "rock" in Bollywood, this one actually is a rock track with just a hint of Indian instrumentation. And how awesome is that bridge? "Da-da-dum-dum-da..."

Sachin-Jigar are a team to watch out for!

2. "Tai Tai Phish" from Chillar Party (Hindi)
Singer(s): Amit Trivedi
Music Director: Amit Trivedi



Why I like it: Though I never got a chance to see the film, I was obsessed with Ranbir's item when it was released online. The song is just so bouncy and tapori... those little vocal breaks with the bendy keyboards are just too fun! And it just shows that almost anything Amit Trivedi does is simply flawless.

1. "Madhubala" from Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (Hindi)
Singer(s): Ali Zafar, Shweta Pandit
Music Director: Sohail Sen



Why I like it: Two words - Ali. Zafar. This soundtrack has been in my car since September and I don't think it's moving out anytime soon. Ali Zafar just kills this song. It's so ridiculously catchy! The guitar line; the drums; Ali Zafar belting away on top of all that... I'm not surprised this turned out to be my most-played song of 2011!

2 comments:

KimT said...

Thanks for the list! Looking forward to the rest...I always find new things to check out in these end of the year lists.

Ali Zafar is one of my favorite "discoveries" of the year. I've had his Jhoom album on repeat for the past few months and he totally stole the show in MBDK. Can't wait for his next film.

And I really need to visit Bhavani online and get a copy of Urumi.

Shell said...

Most of these songs are on rotation on my ipod. While I haven't seen a lot of this year's movies yet (what else is knew?!) I thought there was some pretty good music this year, although some would disagree.

Nice compilation!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl