Thursday, December 15, 2011

Thursday Gossip

Today in Gossip... end of the year rundowns have begun; assorted rumors; and Players continues to go out of its way to make me hate it before I've even had the opportunity to shell out cash to see it.


* Oh, Vigil Idiot... I love you when you mock things I hate and hate you when you mock things I love. Check out the worst films of the year - Vigil Idiot stylee!

If you were in India for any amount of time in the last half of the year, chances are you know everything there is to know about "Ra.One" (Pronounced Raavan, after the mythical supervillain).

With a promotional blitz that had Shahrukh Khan endorse everything from reality shows to F1 cars -- you couldn’t miss this movie if you tried. Of course, this isn’t to say anything in the movie actually justified the amount of money spent on getting people to see it.

By far, the most torturous investment of US$25 million in Bollywood this year.


* Get Filmy on Salman's "I'm Salman and he's Shahrukh" quote. (Which may as well be referring to this forthcoming book.)

* I'm actually working on a piece tackling this question right now - Don 2's business likely to be affected by Mission Impossible 4. Because, if what you are offering people is essentially "action film like Mission Impossible but starring Bollywood actors" than you can't blame folks for choosing the version that has the higher budget, better special effects, tighter script, and more female flesh on display... I'm just saying. If Shahrukh continues to insist that he is in competition with Hollywood, he's setting himself up to lose. After all, we don't have to go to the cinema just to see the songs anymore. It's called youtube. He can't beat the Goliath of Hollywood by playing their game. He just can't.

* The casting rumors for Bollywood new golden boy Dhanush's directorial debut are flying fast and furious. Today, it's Hrithik.

* New book on Malayalam actor Madhu.

* Scammers take advantage of wannabe actors by setting up fake auditions. That is QUITE the con! The saddest part is the film the actors were baited with...

"I contacted them over the phone and they told me they were in search of fresh faces for the film Call Centre, which will be produced by UTV Motion Pictures and stars Irrfan Khan, Tusshar Kapoor and Kangna Ranaut."

* People are still funding Nagesh Kukunoor's films - a Kolkata producer has agreed to finance his next.

* The world does not need a remake of Smita Patel's Bazaar starring Prateik Babbar. Is he going to be cross-dressing or playing an evil bride purchasing NRI?

* Mid-day runs through this year's debut directors.

Raghav Dhar: 'My Friend Pinto'

Sanjay Leela Bhansali produced this one but wasn't really liked by masses and critics alike.

BO fate: Flop. The movie is said to have barely registered 10 per cent occupancy.
Next Step: Not known


I'm sorry to see that Rohit Dhawan got so little appreciation. I felt he did a wonderful job with Desi Boyz! And the list didn't mention my favorite debutant director from this year... Nupur Asthana, whose Mujhse Fraaandship Karoge was one of the most pleasant surprises of 2011.

Okay, another song promo from Players...



Look, movie, why are you going out of your way to make me hate you? Do you WANT me to not go and see you?! Is that the game plan by sticking everything I hate into a single song picturization?

1 comment:

KimT said...

I'd totally watch the fake movie, Call Centre...throw in Konkona Sen Sharma and that's quirky, but interesting cast.

Totally agree on Players...that song was just too crude or something and do. not. like. Abhishek's silly tough guy persona. It only truly works when he's playing a negative role, like in Yuva. Much prefer his comedic roles or even his low key performances like in Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon (where he was sadly the best part).

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl