Friday, December 23, 2011

Friday Gossip!

I've been told in no uncertain terms that I will absolutely hate Don 2 so I'm not going to waste my time watching it. The word on the street is that the film is very much like one of those slick Hollywood action films that has thrills, plot twists, one-liners, babes, and a smirking hero in spades. However, much like those films, it's also lacking in character growth, character relationships, drama, songs, and humanity. For me, those are more important to enjoying a film than babes and plot twists, so I'll be passing on Don 2. I'll be curious to see how well it does at the box office because fairly or not, everybody is watching to see if King Khan is still relevant.

Reviews seem mostly mixed - a few panning it out right and a few singing it's praises but even Taran Adarsh only gave it a 3/5 so take from that what you will...

I think this review says it best:

With some 75% of the movie set in Berlin, and the whole of the second half devoted to the bank heist, Don 2 has none of the first film's complex storyline and multiple twists, only one musical number (and an item number, at that) and little to distinguish itself from any other globe-trotting blockbuster with a main character who's always three steps ahead of his enemies. As a pure movie, however, it's much better than the 2006 one — and way better than Khan's recent super-hero outing Ra.One र.वन.


* Did I write this list? The most underrated films of 2011.

* These stories are always so sad. Veteran actress Achala Sachdev is bedridden in Pune and alone.

* Interview with Vidhu Vinod Chopra...

Of all the heroes, why was Sharman Joshi chosen to play the lead in FKS

Sharman did a test. I was in the US. The test was sent to me but I didn't see it. I just didn't want to see it. I was toying with the idea of casting big actors. Suddenly, I learnt that he is coming to the US. I said to myself, 'Test dekh lete hain. Phir bol denge, well done Sharman, magar yaar woh baat nahin hai'. But when I saw it, meri toh phat gayi. You know what, I always go with my gut feeling when I select. In nine out of every ten cases so far, it has worked. That reminds me of Vidya Balan who started off with Parineeta from my stable.


* GOLMAAL 4!!!

* Veena Malik is now under a social boycott by some clerics or something. I'm not sure what this means.

* This one is especially for Bastard Keith. I almost scrolled right by... Neil Nitin Mukesh is OBSESSED BY THE DARK!! (Dun dun duuuuu~uuuuun.)

“The dark fascinates me. In recent times, I’d love to be part of films like Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai or even Murder 2,” he says. And what about mush and romance? “I’d love to do love stories if there’s any love in it. I must say in the garb of rom-coms, the industry is making some really trashy films. Why can’t we learn from films like True Romance or Love Story or even desi films like Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak or Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar?” he ends.

Right... it's not at all because somebody is jealous that Imran Khan is taking all the cute but average guy in those rom-coms instead of him.


ETA: Agneepath 2nd trailer!!

3 comments:

eliza bennet said...

I'm more baffled with the idea that NNM considers True Romance and Love Story "dark" films.

Bastard Keith said...

I heard Neil Nitin Mukesh sleeps in a room full of bats and cuts himself just to see if he can still feel anything at all, man.

As long as you are still speaking, Neil, I will listen.

In other news of similar importance, I had a simply fantastic taco last night at a place called San Loco. It's a wonderful restaurant.

Sal said...

The largely desi audience at the Midwestern theatre I watched the film at hooted, clapped and whistled throughout the film. One film is not going to change how relevant SRK is. To millions of people, especially those who came of age watching Bollywood films in the late 90s and the 2000s, he will always be beloved. I remember my mom used to say he felt like he was her son or younger brother. He may have to work a bit to get some mojo back, but the dude is a superstar.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl