Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tuesday Gossip!

First of all, I was going to start some dramz but decided it wasn't worth it. Let's just say that, yes, I noticed the snarking at my expense but I stand by what I said on fetishization. Maybe I will write that post on it... I bet there are lots of academic articles to reference on the same phenomenon in anime fans or what have you.

Also in the works is my review of Breaking Dawn (which was ♥) and hopefully I'll be able to make it through a couple of DVDs this long weekend. I've had a busy month or two with not much time for film viewing, unfortunately.

Oh! And be sure to check out the trailer for Chittagong
which is the film based on the same incident as the floptastic Ashutosh Gowarikar-Abhishek-Deepika film but starring real actors! It looks promising!

So, today in gossip - lots of odds and ends! Sunny Leone, Mughda Godse, Sonu Sood, Akshay Kumar... and Salman Khan!



* Food for thought: Dibakar Bannerjee on Bollywood.

The other problem is that over the past two or three decades we have corrupted our film language in many ways by indulging in over-emphasis, sentimentality, repetition, over-simplification, triteness and being utterly conformist.

When you speak in this language for such a long time your tongue deadens, it doesn't move very well. Now some of us are taking baby steps in trying to make a cinema that is questioning, that is not repetitive.


* And a piece on how Bollywood could take a page from the daily soaps and insert educational storylines into films.

Today, Bollywood’s protagonists don’t just have to deal with their human co-stars, they also have to factor in the dozens of products which are strategically embedded in the storyline. According to trade magazines, Bodyguard, the Salman Khan starrer not only played up the megastar and Kareena Kapoor, his romantic interest, but also a whole range of products — from luxury cars to Sony Vaio notebooks to mosquito repellants. The device, known as “product placement”, has been operational for many years. What about the next stage? What about embedding public health messages in the storyline of popular TV soaps and mainstream cinema?

I think this is a great idea!

* Sunny Leone herself speaks.

“Being an adult model happened to me by chance when I was studying to be a nurse. I always wanted to be a heroine in films but then I guess something else was planned for me. I have no regrets about my alter ego, Sunny Leone as I am here today only because of it,” says the model.

* Normally I don't care about Mugdha Godse at all but it's interesting that she wouldn't share the stage with Madhur Bhandarkar at a recent awards event. I suspect it has something to do with the failure of Jail and whatever went on between them off-camera.

* Miss India USA Pooja Kumar makes her Tamil language debut opposite Kamal Haasan.

* Sanjay Dutt is doing a cameo in Desi Boyz!

* And staff to the stars come out to face the cameras.

Shah Rukh Khan's former bodyguard Yasin was seen in a cameo in Om Shanti Om and Billu. For Bodyguard, Salman Khan's bodyguard Shera shot for a promotional song. Akshay Kumar's bodyguard did a blink-and-miss appearance in the song Shiela Ki Jawaani in Tees Maar Khan.

* Akshay and Sonu Sood battle it out for a potentially chartbusting tune! I don't know who I want to win!!!

* Oh no!! Salman might be working with Subhash Ghai again. DON'T DO IT, SALLU! WE ALL SAW YUVVRAAJ!!!!

* The Sayali Bhagat story takes another turn - she had her PR person arrested for allegedly leaking false information.

* Mumbai Boss gives their delightfully snarky take on Love 2 Hate You - Arjun Rampal's new show about haters.

Rampal kicks off the first of the confrontations with a boy called Farhan Syed, by huffing and puffing with such badly acted indignation, that you begin to understand why Farhan seems intent on comparing Rampal’s acting abilities to wooden furniture. The twist is that Farhan, goaded into a diatribe against Rampal, has no idea that Rampal is next door, about to pounce on this unsuspecting hater whose Twitter handle @duggalsahab is helpfully flashed on screen. After listening to Farhan’s reasons—whose chief contention is that Rampal simply can’t act—Rampal’s best comeback is to tell viewers at home that Farhan needs to “re-think” his job as a freelance writer because he didn’t like Rock On!!, and that “he’s not really funny”. Wait, wasn’t this supposed to be about hating Rampal?

* And SRK is butthurt at the copyright suits that keep hitting his films.

"While my producers are best qualified to give a fitting reply to the whole matter, I as a lead actor can say that as for the sequel, the Amitabh Bachchan Don never had a sequel. So where is the question of us copying anything. Farhan and his team have worked on the script, I know for a fact that we haven't copied from anywhere and this is an original script.''

Yes, that may be true BUT you are using the characters from the original film and the original copyright holder must still have some hold over that intellectual property. It has to work that way otherwise Bollywood would be awash in unauthorized sequels to hits.



And Dhanush singing his surprise hit at the music launch of 3!

3 comments:

Amaluu said...

Actually Pooja Kumar's Tamil debut was a remake of Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin in the late 90s. It disappeared without a trace ... :-)

Filmi Girl said...

@amaluu I didn't know that! Thanks for keeping me honest, as always. :)

OG said...

Hey FG,

The trailer for Chittagong looks amazing. I am so gonna watch it. And nope, I did not have the courage to watch the AB version of it.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl