Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wednesday Gossip!

The only big story today: Reviews of That Film I Can't Name For My Own Sanity... and they're kind of terrible... well, a couple of other things were reported...


* Well, R*** may not have won hearts and minds but apparently it has won over marketing executives who now plan to spam us with promotional materials for films a year in advance. Posters? Okay. I can handle posters but please nothing else until much closer to the release date.

* Saif hasn't given up on Agent Vinod.

* Ajay Devgn gives pal Vindu Dara Singh a role in Son of Sardar and Sunny Deol's son may follow in his daddy's footsteps with a sequel of Betaab.

* For the cricket fans out there - VVC apparently shot at Lords.


REALLY THAT'S ALL THERE IS THAT ISN'T DISCUSSION OF THAT.MOVIE... but I've been told to save my schadenfreude for my own review. If you're interested, I've been haunting the comments thread at this post and people are tracking reviews. Aside from the usual suspects, the reaction is mostly disappointed... with some praise for Bebo, Arjun, and the child actor.


I should ETA that hopefully 90% of people don't even care and are just celebrating Diwali! I think it's more frustrating for Westerners like me who get the hype without the celebratory atmosphere that would accompany a release like this in India.

5 comments:

Ameya said...

I hope they realized that promoting it so heavily would make it impossible to live up to and negative reviews would be the norm. I've not seen a recent srk film I didn't like (except maybe lank, but I liked the plot idea) so I'm avoiding reviews. Luckily I've not been around any promo stuff so ill be the only person who sees it without already being annoyed!

Bastard Keith said...

There's something so terribly sad aboutthe sentence, "Saif hasn't given up on Agent Vinod." Like it's a child he's been putting through boarding schools and therapy, but the kid keeps setting things on fire and peeing on strangers' dogs.

Seriously though...I remember stories of this shooting when Action Replayy was in production. Is this thing ever getting finished? How long has it been in production? Is there ANY chance it will be good? Will Saif's face retain the same cosmetic structure and complexion from scene to scene? Or will he, assuming the film has been shot in sequence, slowly harden from a man who looks like he's had some work done into a sentient Madame Tussaud's statue with a lemon stuck in its mouth?

These are the things I wonder.

martoufmarty said...

I just did a quick Google to see if The Movie That Shall Not Be Named was playing in Winnipeg, and yes, it is, in some cheap theater, but this little review that popped up amused the hell outta me:

A father trying hard to 'fit-in' in his son's badass world. A son trying hard to 'dude-up' his dad from 'aiiiyyyo' to 'Yo!' And a mother lost in translation between her husband's 'ingeva' and her son's 'inn'it!' While Shekhar was trying every trick in the book to woo his son, get 'dude-ified' and 'up his coolness quotient' his son had given up on him. Just when the father-son duo hit a deadlock, Shekhar strikes gold when he designs one hell of a game. Finally it all starts falling into place, as the family comes together, only to find themselves in the middle of a crash...not just a hard drive crash but a crash that would drive them to a disaster and make their lives go - KABOOM! All hell breaks loose when - the game that was meant to be played with starts playing them. Ra.one - The next level.

Hilarity.

Thelondongirl said...

have any of you actually seen Ra.one? I agree the marketing was disgustingly grotesque in its scope and range but actually see the film then bash it. I have and as sci fi movies go its not bad at all. And sorry to disagree with Filmi girl, I have read most of the reviews and they are not all bad, even the bad ones( not a large majority)say the movie has some excellent action scenes ( which is what the film is about) there are gaps in the story, the science is definitely sketchy but er have you the majority of sci fi flicks where the science geek rambles some explanation so fast that you cant actually get what he or she is saying? the story as it goes is what I expect from a masala film of its type. All i'm saying is see it if you can, but dont judge based on reviewers who may or may not have an axe to grind with the actor( this does happen).

Filmi Girl said...

@thelondongirl I haven't seen the film. I was planning on it but after reading the reviews - positive AND negative, I think this is a film for people who a) really like Shahrukh Khan as his Shahrukh Khan persona (i.e. Kal Ho Naa Ho, Rab Ne Bana De Jodi, Om Shanti Om) and b) who aren't sci-fi fans.

I love sci-fi and hate SRK's shtick... ergo I probably won't enjoy it. :)

It may be entertaining for a lot of people and that's totally fine with me. I'm just ready to not have large print "It's the Future of FILMMAKING" headlines shoved in my face.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl