Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wednesday Gossip

Is anybody near Milpitas, California? If so, you are lucky enough to have ONE WEEK to check out Lifeu Ishtene on the big screen! I'm super jealous, since I always have to wait for DVD for Kannada films.

Today in gossip - Ajay Devgn is going to PWN the box office in this upcoming film; Shahrukh is too old to play Hamlet; Gopichand runs with the lions; and MORE!



* Hold everything... PRABHU DEVA AND AJAY DEVGN? YES PLEASE!

* An odd little blurb from a Russian site hinting that there is a film that... well, I'll just quote: India will come out with a project named “Bollywood Strikes Back” – Indian-style remakes of Hollywood’s most famous films.

WHAT? Does anybody speak Russian that can find out a bit more on this?

* Mira Nair's The Reluctant Fundamentalist is being funded by the Doha Film Institute. Which makes sense, given this fascinating article in the latest issue of the New York Review of Books.

* Aziz Ansari is the worst interviwee ever... but he does give gems like this.

A self-confessed workaholic, Ansari says he is unaware about the politics in the country, but has his own take on dealing with the problems here, if he was ever made a political leader in India. “I’m not really a political person. I’d probably bail out of my job and run around finding some good chicken korma and idli-appam,” he says.

* Sigh. Really? Does the world need Abhishek in a remake of Angaar? Abhi, no matter who your Dad is, you will never be anywhere near as good as Jackie Shroff. In anything. Period.

* Speaking of, Shahrukh, telling us that Ra.1 was inspired by Drona isn't helping anything. Also, is he mad that Bebo and PC are busy filming and not helping him promote?

* Did I post this already? Shahrukh and AR Murugadoss?

* And this - Shahrukh, you are TOO OLD to play Hamlet. Hamlet is the distilled essence of sullen teenager - you are 45.

* And more things I don't want? Shahid and Priyanka in a love story that spans three different eras. REALLY?! Enough with the gimmicky retro stuff or I'm sending every producer in Bollywood a copy of Retromania. Cutesy references to the picturizations of the 1960s and 1970s are not a substitute for a meaningful dialogue with the audience. I'm really, really tired of all of this... especially since most of these retro songs erase any of the seedier or dangerous edges of songs from those eras and turn them all into Disney-fied versions of the past.

* U R My Jaan filmmaker Aron Govil is launching a new film that will allegedly be filmed in New York City and star a "big name."

* O ho! Chitrangada Singh backed out of Krrish 2 because Rakesh wasn't willing to pay for her make-up person. Time will tell if she made the right decision.

* Koko is back at work! Yay! I hope she and Ranveer and doing well.

* Raj and DK snag Vir Das for their next!

* Abhay Deol claims he is not pushing fiancee Preeti Desai's career - even though she is a crappy actress and keeps getting roles. Interesting...

* Unusually, it seems that Manu is going to be the one replaced in the Tanu Weds Manu sequel. (Attention producers: BRING BACK JIMMY SHERGILL!)



The exciting looking trailer for Gopichand and Taapsee's Mogudu!!!(!!!!)!



All your (i.e. my) favorite sexy uncles are in Loot! This seems like a good vehicle for these guys...

14 comments:

Sal said...

Hamlet may be bratty, but I think the text implied that he was in his early thirties.

lvrplfc4l said...

I agree SRK is to old to play Hamlet but I was surprised at the age of some of the actors who had played Hamlet, Olivier-41, Gibson-34, Branagh-36, Tennant-38 and Burton-39 but Hamlet is around 30 in the play so not unreasonable for the actors to be around that age. The funny thing for me was I thought Gibson of all the actors looked to old and he is actual the youngest to play him of the bunch.
As for SRK I think he would make a great Claudius to Ranbir's Hamlet. So who would you like to see cast?

Filmi Girl said...

@Sal Hmm... according to that reliable source Wikipedia it seems that there is some flexibility with Hamlet's age but you're right that he should be, at oldest, no more than 30.

@lvrplfcrl I saw Tennant do Hamlet and it was amazing. But he is very youthful, no?

Even pushing Hamlet's age to 30, SRK is WAY too old for the role. I would love to see Shahid do it, actually. Ranbir would be good, too... or Ranveer.

@ksana said...

I speak Russian =)
It is not a separated movie, it's three movies, shown in full length in two days. The movies are Sarkar, Ghajini (Amir version) and Enhiran.
The name "Bollywood strikes back" comes from the idea, that those Indian movies are inspired by Hollywood movies... ok, I get the idea about Memento and even maybe-possibly Godfather... but how could possibly Terminator have inspired Endhiran??? Have they nor really seen that movie to say something like this on the official web-site?

lvrplfc4l said...

Nice choices but how about we have them all, Ranbir as Hamlet, Ranveer as Horatio and Shahid as Laertes. Think of crowds to get into that version of Hamlet.
I like the Tennant version as well, I like Branagh's for the sheer ego of filming the whole play but my favorite is by my favorite Shakespearean actor Derek Jacobi.

Filmi Girl said...

@@ksana

Oh, wow!! Thank you for clearing that up!!! I was really confused thinking that maybe it was a documentary project or something. :)))

(And that is strange - Terminator to Endhiran?! Those are nothing alike!)

Filmi Girl said...

@lvrplfcrl O ho! I like the way you think!! And frail, big-eyed Sonam as Ophelia? SRK as Claudius and... Madhuri as Gertrude?

Ekta said...

I would love to see Shahid as Hamlet.

lvrplfc4l said...

Filmi Girl Sonam and Madhuri would be perfect; then Rishi for the Ghost Of Hamlet's Father, Naseeruddin Shah as Polonius, Tusshar Kapoor and Fardeen Khan for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. I hear you saying what ruin Hamlet with Tusshar and Fardeen but think of the cheer in the theatre when Hamlet out wits their betrayal and they end up hanging.

Filmi Girl said...

@lvrplfc4l I like the way you think!

Here's another q - nightmare cast of Hamlet? I'm thinking SRK as Hamlet; Deepika as Ophelia; somebody younger than SRK but now considered an "auntie" like Lolo as Gertrude; and somebody extremely inappropriate as Claudius - like Anupam Kher in OTT mode.

Directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali and filmed in the UK somewhere.

Sadly, this is probably the more likely version to be made.

Jess said...

I will never understand why they make sequels and replace one/some of the leading actors--usually the girl. Imagine watching the original Star Wars films and in each one someone else played Leia! Tanu Weds Manu was a nice love story, but apparently things don't really work out? Sad, because I LOVE R. Madhavan.

lvrplfc4l said...

Filmi Girl SRK as Hamlet and Deepika as Ophella please spare us. I would think Hamlet not an obscure enough literary work for Bhansali I think of him more as the director that would tackle Titus Andronicus or Pericles, Price of Tyre. Just think if he did Titus he could do everything with a red color scheme.
Also how about instead of Hamlet they do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead or 12 Ophelias instead.

lvrplfc4l said...

Oops, that should be Pericles, Prince of Tyre! I turned Pericles from a Prince of Tyre to a tyre dealer in London.

Josh said...

I have no opinion regarding Hamlet, BUT the SRK/Murugadoss idea is exciting. He doesn't make the kind of pablum that SRK usually stars in. Also, the Ajay/PrabhuDeva flick better come after the 3D dance movie starring PrabhuDeva that I've been promised.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl