Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday Gossip!


Today in gossip - Bagwati comes back to delight us again; Lady Gaga is unavailable for Ra.ra.ra.ra.1; some of my favorite punching bags return to the gossip pages; and a couple of very interesting casting rumors...

* Read an interesting piece about high class branding in Hindi film.

Kal Ho Naa Ho, or “Tomorrow May or May Not Come,” was the first Hindi film to feature a character carrying a President Classeur monogrammed briefcase by Louis Vuitton. “It was a windfall gain for Louis Vuitton. I think they sold about 50 of those President briefcases” after that movie in 2003, Mr. Johar said.

* The declining rupee is a boon to overseas Bollywood returns.

* Ra-ra-ra-a-a... Lady Gaga is not available for the Ra.1 premiere. And I'm not the only one concerned about Shahrukh's promotion-gasm.

Even though he’s got so much going for him, SRK doesn’t look very comfortable. Every other night he is on a reality TV show promoting his film. And instead of his usual energetic self, he looks jaded, tired and exhausted.

* What happened to the Class of 2001?

Bipasha Basu also entered filmdom in the same year with Abbas-Mustan`s Ajnabee. Then she featured in big commercial success films like Raaz and Jism. She became the talk of the town when she performed item numbers "Beedi Jalaile" and "Namak ishq ka" for 2006 film "Omkara". Bipasha will next be seen in international venture "Singularity" alongside Hollywood star Josh Hartnett.

* Miss India International Esha Gupta will be yet another model-debutant in Jannat 2. According to Wikipedia, she was supposed to have debuted in 2009 with Upen Patel - back when Upen Patel was the next big thing - but it appears the film never came out. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

* Choreographer-director Remo D'Souza is in hospital.

* The man I love to rag on... Zayed Khan!

There is a certain culture we come from and we can't compromise that culture if it doesn't make sense aesthetically. LBZ is a kind of film where you'll see a different kind of romance. Yes, romance will be silence; romance can be just by touching someone's hand or fingers. It's all about moments. The new generation is rebellious and we are giving them a good reason to rebel.

Okay... can you imagine Zayed Khan developing enough acting chops in the past couple years to be able to convey romance by touching somebody's hand or fingers? Yeah, me neither.

Zayed!! Just go back to being third hero in your friends' films again! I like you so much better than Neil Nitin Mukesh and he seems set to take over that role in Bollywood if you don't stop him. That should have been you in Players with AB Jr.!!!

* Rajkumar Hirani and Aamir Khan together again?

* Akshay Kumar and Ashutosh Gowarikar? THAT could be an interesting pairing. Just please let Akki be able to tell him Ashutosh to trim, trim, trim to that run-time.

* Catch up with Bhavana, Golden Star Ganesh's latest heroine in Romeo.

* Another Romeo - Shortcut Romeo will have Ameesha Patel and Neil Nitin Mukesh paired up. That's a jodi that inspires almost as much excitement as Dia Mirza and Zayed Khan! It's a good thing Ameesha's survival doesn't depend on films.

“My survival is not dependent on movies. After doing some brilliant films in the past, I can’t afford to do something mediocre just because someone tells me that ‘this is what that sells’,” she adds.

* Fardeen's drug charges have been reduced.



TRAILER FOR Velayudham which looks FREAKING AWESOME!

14 comments:

J Hurtado said...

Seriously? Velayudham looks uber-boring to me, especiallyu considering what it's going up against at Diwali.

Filmi Girl said...

What? I'm a sucker for bombastic song picturizations and hero entrance scenes. :)

This Diwali...

Ra. 1 is going to blow.

Suriya's film will probably be awesome but I really, really loathe Shruti Haasan so I'll be only semi-excited until I see it.

Yunus Perveez said...

Can someone slip Ameesha and Nitin the idea to start a production company :-) So they can make the movies THEY want.

And I know you dont do video games but that Velayudham movie seems to have been watching Assasin's Creed a bit too closely...but yay Genelia!!!!

Filmi Girl said...

ASIM! You missed the big story from the other day, then - and Bastard Keith's hilarious comments on such:

http://filmigirl.blogspot.com/2011/09/sunday-gossip_25.html

OG said...

I am excited about both films!

As one person put it:

It is going to be "Class" Ezham Arivu Vs "Mass" Velayudham.

The way I see it, Suriya's film will have more collection in the urban centres in TN and in Andhra Pradesh and the North while Vijay's film will make more in the rural centres of TN and in Kerala.

Interesting 2 other Tamil films are also releasing for Deepavali. Dhanush's "Mayakkam Enna" and Silambarasan's "Osthi" and they are also actors with a decent fan following.

"Mayakkam Enna" looks different, interesting...........

Anyways, so it is going to a grand Deepavali for TN! Ra. one has little chance of doing business with such competition in TN.

Filmi Girl said...

@OG Excellent run down! I forgot all about Osthi - that should be a good watch, too.

And, yeah, even with a Rajini cameo, Ra.1 is going to have tough competition.

Yunus Perveez said...

hahaha that is truly hilarious, and probably the one day i missed your posts.

BTw should i be mildly offended you linked to Midday who didnt even bother spelling Vidyut's name correctly but didnt to the awesome interview I did?? :-)

OG said...

hey FG,

But the interesting thing is that in TN, we have only about 800/900 screens.

So I am pretty sure that theatre association and the distributors will force someone to back down.....and release later...

I dont see Ezham Arivu or Velayudham backing down, so I guess Mayakkam Enna or Osthi might be postponed......

Nothing like this has happened in TN so far! and I am really excited about all the films!

My priority list:
Ezham Arivu/Velayudham/Ra. one/Mayakkam Enna

Filmi Girl said...

LOL! I knew you would call me out on that. I saw that one first. ;P

I haven't had a chance to listen to yours with Vidyut yet but I'll post a link fo' shiz. Do people actually click through when I do? That makes me happy. :)))))

Filmi Girl said...

@OG I didn't even consider that!

I'm reading an interesting book on the relationship of Chiru with his fan club in Andhra Pradesh and I was thinking that maybe SRK putting a Rajini cameo in Ra.1 is his way of trying to drum up support for his film from the Rajini Fan Club.

Since there are such limited screens, it makes my theory stronger...

What do you think?

J Hurtado said...

Ra.One will no doubt have trouble competing in TN, but overseas collections will be through the roof and Northern ones, as well. Velayudham just looks like fan service. It's supposed to be a superhero/action film, but the whole trailer is Vijay shakin' his ass and smiling. I understand the audience they are going for, it just isn't me. Suriya's film is going to blow it out of the water, quality-wise, but I'm not sure the box office results will be so decisive.

OG said...

@FG,

From the reports that I have heard, SRK is planning a Tamil and Telugu dub for his film to release in TN and AP. No doubt that the astute SRK managed to get a Rajni cameo specifically for this....

But a Rajni cameo might not always work..... as was seen in the film Kuselan..... Rajni paid the distributors for their losses. (No other actor does that in TN)

SRK has gone into overdrive to promote his film and yesterday, he even promoted a soap brand (Cinthol). The man is crazy. LOL :)

I have been following the promotions, and one thing which has troubled me is the fact that SRK is trying to appeal to the "Indian Pride" to watch his film! That is lousy, if you ask me.

@Hurtado,

No doubt Ra. one will blow away Ezham Arivu and Velayudham in collections........... But I was speaking specifically about South India....... In the North and overseas, Ra. one will sweep the collections..........

Again, no doubt that Ezham Arivu will be the superior film, but TN audience will love Velayudham's rural flavor and Vijay's comic timing is impeccable. We love our comedy/big dances/Hero intro/One man army films.

I am happy that I live in the Bay Area. I can watch all these films!

Filmi Girl said...

@OG I have been following the promotions, and one thing which has troubled me is the fact that SRK is trying to appeal to the "Indian Pride" to watch his film! That is lousy, if you ask me.

I agree 100% - especially since this appeal seems to be tailored to the NRI market in the West. He wants it both ways to a) have the South Asian diaspora come to his film because it's Indian and b) bring in a real global market.

But a global market will not show up just because a film is Bollywood and conflating Bollywood with "Indian pride" is surely going to anger some South Indian NRIs who might choose to see Vijay or Suriya on Diwali.

I don't know. I'm actually more curious to see how the film is received by audiences than in actually seeing the film.

And I think TN audiences and me will enjoy Vijay's comic timing in Velayudham. :) I think that trailer looked like a blast!

@J There is always room for fan service on my theater screen. Always. I like big hero entrances; it works for me.

OG said...

I totally agree with you FG! SRK's films have historically never run in the South, so he is trying (really) hard to expand his territory.

Coz we in the South, dont quite "dig" his style of acting. Heroism for us is all about bringing "arresting" intensity to the role. The SI actor needs to hold the scene and fill the screen.

Rajni/kamal/Chiru/mohanlal/mammootty were experts in this.

I watch most of the films which come out in tamil/Malayalam/Telugu/Hindi.

Ra. one will NOT be a failure! I dont see a chance of that ever happening.

But hypothetically if it does happen, I am pretty sure that his ego would be more hurt than his bank balance!

Thanks FG! Loved this discussion!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl