Today in gossip - Vidya Balan is tired; The Big B turns sixty-fine; Dia and Zayed celebrate... something; the mid-life Hero crisis; andddd more!
* The Big B turns Sixty-Nine!
* This shouldn't make me happy but it does - all the releases flopped last weekend. Showing that, yes, audiences know when we're being served overripe slop and, yes, we will refuse to give our money for it.
* For some reason - perhaps those under 10% figures - Dia and Zayed threw a success party.
* And speaking of tired sounding scripts... who on Earth would pay to see Abhishek and Fardeen in a "coming-of-age" story? Here's an idea - throw in Zayed, Neil Nitin Mukesh, and Uday Chopra and make it a documentary about how these films get made. THAT I would pay to see.
* Beth's Bollywood column tackles the biggest question of our era... DON 2 or RA.1?!
Now that we know that Don has eliminated the sunnier twin of himself introduced in the 2006 film, it’s difficult to imagine where any ray of light will flit into Don’s slick and detailed but ethically bankrupt world. Probably not through the antihero himself. Will that matter to audiences? Will the global nation of SRK fans be as excited about a completely dark role? We have seen the superstar be bellicose, despondent or disillusioned before (“Ashoka” , “Devdas”  and “Chak De India” ), but those characters all found hope or redemption. Maybe Mr. Akhtar, no rookie to successful filmmaking, has an emotional twist in mind to accompany sharp bends in his plot.
(And Don/G.1 is in trouble with Maharashtra Coastal Zone Management Authority... again.)
* Are all these middle-aged action heroes part of a new middle life Hero crisis?
The switch to all-out action is also a whole lot odder as a mid-career choice for stars who’ve never been fighters. Or it’s odd until we realise it’s not a matter of choice but of necessity. The forty-something Bollywood male romantic star increasingly has nowhere else to go. It’s macho up or perish.
* Aw... it's kind of sweet that Kangana names Sonam the most stylish in Bollywood even after all the nasty things Sonam has said about her.
* I've really been enjoying all the Ek Tha Tiger reports from Ireland!
[Salman] was suitably diplomatic about filming in Ireland. “It’s chilled out and beautiful. I love the architecture. The weather is not great for us filming, but it is good for drinking Guinness.”
* Ranbir Kapoor is uninterested in Hollywood - and, honestly, why should he care about Hollywood? He's a KAPOOR! (Also, his pet name is... Ganglu.)
* Rumor has it Ganglu's world tour is back on!
* Poor Vidya Balan has taken too much stress and is home on sick leave. Also Sujoy Ghosh revealed on Twitter yesterday that Kahaani will be out in January 2012!! I cannot wait!
* Some juicy behind-the-scenes at the Tell Me O Khuda music launch. Apparently, Hema Malini showered SRK with attention at the expense of everybody's favorite khiladi.
* AND allegedly Hema and Dharam feel that Esha's career didn't take off because she wasn't launched well, initially, not because she's a terrible actress. Ahana's launch is going to be epic... if Dharam has anything to do about it.
* Look, Mahesh Babu has better things to do than play secondary hero to like Emraan Hashmi or something in Mumbai.
And a Happy Birthday to Rekha-ji! Enjoy these top five roles of hers... it's a good little compilation!