Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thursday Gossip!

Today is the 100th anniversary of Ashok Kumar's birth. I think Bollywood still misses Dadamoni a great deal. You can read my piece on him for the Encyclopedia Britannica blog.

To the end of his life, Ashok Kumar remained an important figure in Bollywood. He lived up to his nickname, ‘Dadamoni,’ Bengali for ‘older brother,’ not just with his own two younger brothers, actor Anoop Kumar and legendary actor-singer Kishore Kumar, but to the industry at large. He had a reputation for being humble, generous—even to the point of sharing his lunch with the film crew on set—and so soft-hearted that when younger brother Kishore Kumar passed away on Ashok’s birthday in 1987, he never celebrated his birthday again.

Can I also get on a soap box really quick - I've spotted a few articles in the gossip rags demanding to see Aishwarya's "baby bump." I would like to tell those people to go to Hell. You absolutely DO NOT have any right to see Aishwarya's "baby bump." Just because she is an actress doesn't mean that you deserve to be privy to every detail of her private life. AND, just because certain starlets are content to be famous for their relationships instead of their films, it doesn't mean that therefore EVERY actress must comply to that standard of candidness.

One more announcement - are you in Los Angeles? Then you want to go see a Ramsay Brothers screening
on October 14th.

Now onto gossip!



* Wait a minute... Vivek Oberoi needs to step up his PR game because I had no idea that he had started producing films! Come on, Vivek! You don't need to blanket us in advertising (in fact, please don't) but you could always reach out to some (for example) film blogs that will 100% not ask you about Salman or Aishwarya.

Oberoi's first feature in his new role as a producer is Watch Indian Circus, which had its world premiere this week at the 16th Busan International Film Festival. The movie is competing for the festival?s main New Currents award. Watch Indian Circus -- directed by Mangesh Hadawale -- follows the fortunes of an impoverished couple who dream of one day being able to afford to take their children to the circus.

And apparently the film is pretty good if you like that kind of global arthouse cinema. (To be honest, this kind of cinema is hit or miss for me but I love films about circuses, so I might give it go if I find it somewhere.)

* Salman Khan is pushing back Ek Tha Tiger so it doesn't clash with Aamir's film with Reema Kagti. Now that is how the Khans do things!

* NOOOOO! If this is true, then I'll finally be forced to watch a Himesh Reshammiya film.

* Catch up with Kalki Koechlin who talks about My Friend Pinto.

* And the rest of the gang on My Friend Pinto - although I have to admit that the use of the phrase 'nice guy' sounds warning bells. 'Nice guy' is usually code for entitled guy who wants everything handed to him on a platter.

* First look of Sanju and Amitabh in Department.

* Shahid Kapoor is doing the official remake of Knight and Day or whatever that terrible Tom Cruise I never saw was called.

* Call me cynical but Aazaan has been so forceful with its marketing (even as I've studiously ignored it) these last minute protests and the court case feel like a ploy to gain media attention. It worked, I guess, since I'm linking to it.

* Poor Manisha Koirala is in a bad state. Is divorce really such a terrible option?

* This isn't Bollywood related but it's an interesting look at making a movie in Dubai.



Onset footage leaked from Ek Tha Tiger - this guy has other videos on his youtube page if you're curious.

6 comments:

Moimeme said...

Filmi Girl, you might not be awatha re that Kabir Khan (director of Ek Tha Tiger) is quite upset about all the leaked photos and videos, and has requested that people not retweet or publicize them.

Here are his tweets on the matter:

kabirkhankk Kabir Khan

This will destroy the novelty of the film. Pl stop posting & retweeting these. I will keep u posted of all developments...
12 Oct
»
Kabir Khan
kabirkhankk

@EkThaTiger_ If u r truly a Salman fan u should stop posting photos & videos of scenes. U r spoiling the film for the others
12 Oct
»
Kabir Khan
kabirkhankk

@abhilashsharaf We r shooting in public areas so can't ban cameras. I can only hope that the true Salman fans will not try & harm the film
12 Oct
»
Kabir Khan
kabirkhankk

@Sanjay_BSK premature promotion is not good for a film. Promotion should excite the audience but not overexpose the film before it's release
12 Oct

Moimeme said...

On Aishwarya, I totally agree. I've even seen some sites where people are saying she is "hiding" her pregnancy because she's appearing in public in saris and salwar suits, like, you know, 99% of Indian women.

Yunus Perveez said...

1) your line about loving circus movies is hilarious :-)

2) that's how some Khans role... not all of them

3) weirdly I am quite interested in Azaan, going to be posting about it in a few days, got some PR stuff

4)Knight and Day was pretty cool actually, glad to see Shahid take on that part, I think he could be pretty good and he needs to step up his bad assness or all those pecs will be a waste

5) the Aish baby Bump thing is funny as Beyonce seems to be having the same issues : http://www.thevine.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/is-beyonce%27s-baby-bump-a-flat_out-lie20111011.aspx
( i know you dont follow this kind of gossip, hence the linkage)

Yunus Perveez said...

oh btw, i still totally think Kabir Khan is a utter twat :-)

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme Hmm... I was unaware of Kabir Khan's tweets. I don't think this kind of thing harms a film, though. It's not like the rushes were stolen or the script was leaked or anything. That I certainly don't approve of.

But like Kabir said, this is something that ANYBODY could have seen if they happened to be walking by. And it just shows that people are excited about seeing Salman.

This is the information age, after all, no film can be shot in a vacuum.

I'll leave it up for now. Maybe I'll change my mind later.

(And WORD on Aishwarya! What is wrong with the media that they are hounding a pregnant woman?!)

@Asim Well, most circus films. I've never been tempted by Mera Naam Joker.

And that Beyonce stuff is AWFUL! What is WRONG with people?! Just because these women are entertainers doesn't make them 'reality' stars like the Kardashians who make their private lives their bread and butter.

(And, agreed. He made New York with that unforgivable NNM "cool dude" posing after all.)

thediva_1 said...

You have not seen Mera Naam Joker?!? It is actually a brilliant film. It is one of Raj Kapoor's best works (next to Sangam, of course).

And when it comes to Vivek, I think his career is just as pathetic as Uday Chopra's. He needs to be pushed off the film bandwagon!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl