Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday Gossip!


Today in gossip - Farhan Akhtar and Preity Zinta come together; Hurricane Katrina rocks the box office; Madhur Bhandarkar may face more charges; and oh, so much more!

* Beth's new column on Bollywood... is about the poster exhibition thingy in Toronto. Not exactly what I would consider contemporary Bollywood discussion but interesting.

* Mere Brother Ki Dulhan is a hit for Katrina, even while Salman's Bodyguard holds strong. And can we take a minute to celebrate that MBKD is being sold as a Katrina Kaif film? I may have to write a little piece on this because it is fantastic to see a lady having success anchoring a mainstream Bollywood film. I can't recall anybody else doing this in recent years. Vidya and Rani's No One Killed Jessica wasn't really a mainstream film and even Aish and Bebo's latest films have had the attention on the hero (even if the heroes were lackluster). So, congratulations, Katrina!

* Madhur Bhandarakar may face additional charges in the rape case heading to trial. I know business is business but if I was an actress, I would be very uncomfortable working with a guy who was, you know, most likely guilty of rape.

* Fun interview with Siddharth Jain the man behind Ragini MMS and the upcoming Shaadi of the Dead!

* Fashion photographer Gautam Rajadhyaksha has passed away.

* Subhash Ghai is in hospital.

* Ra.1 is being dubbed into Telugu, Tamil, and German. Why do I have a sinking feeling about this...?

* Madam Tussaud's Bollywood wax figures are going on a global tour. If they come to DC or New York, I will try to report on it for you!

* Film City is going to open for tourism! YAY!

Have a super-cute promo for Farhan Akhtar on Preity Zinta's new show!



And a special message from Luda!

4 comments:

Moimeme said...

1. Bebo's latest film (Bodyguard) had a lackluster hero? Well, OK.

2. Yes, it's great that Katrina is getting the main credit for MBKD, and some are even saying she is the new Madhuri! Ahem. As much as I want heroines' contributions to a film to be recognized, I find it very, very difficult to put Katrina and Madhuri in the same sentence (and I don't even have anything against her).

3. Interesting point to note about the rape charges against Madhur Bhandarkar: in the comments to the article you linked, several people question why she willingly had sex with him 16 times over a period of five years before filing a case of rape. I remember reading at the time the charge was originally filed that, under Indian rape law, a sexual relationship can be defined as rape if the sex happened in expectation of a benefit or advancement that was explicitly promised at the time, but later failed to materialize. So, even if she willingly had sex in the expectation that she would get a role in a film in return, if she didn't get such a role, then she could retroactively claim it was rape. I'm just pointing this out because I think it's quite an interesting (and valid) legal definition of rape, but it doesn't involve any degree of physical or psychological coercion, which is the visceral reaction most people have when they hear the word "rape."

4. The visual effects of Ra.1 look quite good in the latest trailer. But it also does feel like they're throwing in everything including the kitchen sink in the hopes that something will work. I'm still debating whether I want to see this film or not.

Eye of the Needle said...

Gautam Rajadhyaksha passing away is the only and most moving news of the day. He was the last photographer who could shoot naked emotions when we weren't so taken in by stylists and artificial pouts.

Also, it was because of him I met my girlfriend :)

Jattin

Jess said...

@moimeme I don't think Katrina and Madhuri should be compared in any way other than box office returns. I hate when any industry tries to compare between generations. Madhuri is Madhuri and Katrina is Katrina, and I like watching them both.

And in regard to that article, Tees Maar Khan wasn't a bomb. UTV made over 20 crore net profit on that film. They made money = the film was a B.O. success (though not necessarily a hit)

On another note, I'd totally go to film city!

Filmi Girl said...

@Moimeme LOL!!! Obviously I wasn't referring to Salman... ;)

@Jattin I take the news stories as I find them... but yes, that is by far the most moving story of the day.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl