Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tuesday Gossip!


Today in gossip - Paresh Rawal tells it like it is; Neha Dhupia in Maximum (not Maxim); peek at Ranveer Singh in Ladies vs Ricky Bahl and MORE!



* Here is something worth reading - an interview with Paresh Rawal. I can't recall ever seeing him interviewed about himself before...

Was he a civil engineer before becoming an actor? "That's all Wikipedia stuff. It's all rubbish," announces Paresh, "Everything it says, from me being born in Gujarat, and being civil engineering before becoming an actor... all that is untrue. I was born and brought up in Mumbai, and always wanted to become an actor. I admired actors like Dilip Kumar and Om Puri as a kid and acting was all I ever thought about. I cannot even open an umbrella properly. How could I ever have been a civil engineering student," he asks, and laughs.

* Vivek Oberoi is filing a countersuit of defamation against the person suing him for nonpayment of funds.

* Salman Khan body watchers may be interested to hear that he's getting lean for Ek Tha Tiger.

* Alisha Chinai is - in one of my fave filmi phrases - acting pricey.

* Check out Ranveer Singh's look in Ladies vs Ricky Bahl!

* I guess it's the Hero System at work but I still don't quite understand how Jackky Bhagnani walked away with the credit for F.A.L.T.U. when Chandan Roy Sanyal pretty much PWNED every scene he was in... Anyways, Jackky is now working with Rajkumar Santoshi. Also, the article implies F.A.L.T.U. flopped but I was thought it had done allright at the box office... Hmm...

* I'm looking forward to seeing Adah Sharma again in Phhir.

I play the role of clairvoyant Disha, who sets out to help a doctor (Rajneish Duggal) with clues that take him closer to unravel the mystery of his missing lawyer wife (Roshni Chopra). I play a young girl, who is not attractive. You will see me covered from top to toe exposing only my fingers and you cannot see any curve in my body. My eyes have a deadpan look and an element of mystery shrouds my character. I even walk with a slight hunch throughout the film.

She was phenomenal in 1920 and I hope this film does something for her.

* Katrina Kaif did the item in Bodyguard for Salman's sister Baby.

* Last minute reshoots for John Abraham's Force...

* Neha Dhupia replaced Tabu in Maximum. Check her out on set with Sonu Sood!

* A western blog takes a (poorly written) look at LGTB folks in Bollywood.



Making of the title song of Mere Brother Ki Dulhan!

3 comments:

Moimeme said...

Re Salman getting leaner for Ek Tha Tiger -- how come no comments from you on "body Nazis" and the like?

I personally hate this new trend of Bollywood directors where they feel compelled to remake their lead actor's body, whether male or female. This seems to be how they make their imprint on the film. But it seems to me that if you choose a particular actor for a role, then s/he comes as a total package. If you don't like the body, then get someone else with the "right" body. But of course, you won't then get the name recognition that you would with an established star.

I hated it when Gurinder Chaddha picked Aishwaraya for the lead in Bride & Prejudice, and required her to put on 20 lbs, because she felt that Punjabi girls were not slim (a horrible bigotry in itself). It took, many years for Aishwarya to look "right" again as her usual self, since losing the 20 lbs she put on for this film changed not only her body's but her face's contours as well. You don't just automatically go back to the appearance you had before the weight change. Similarly, SRK has never been able to regain the healthy look he had prior to losing weight and building a "six pack" for OSO. Now all the prerelease publicity for a film is all about the diet and exercise regimen of its leads, not its story or characters!

It's bad for the actors and takes a toll on their health, whether they are slimming down or bulking up. Poor Abhishek Bachchan had the worst of it when he was simultaneously filming for Guru and Dhoom 2 a few years ago. He had to put on weight for Guru, then lose it in two weeks when he was shooting for Dhoom 2, then regain it for Guru, etc. Such yo-yoing of one's weight has been shown to be extremely harmful to one's long term health in many medical studies.

I guess this is all supposed to represent the new "professionalism" of Bollywood.

dagnyfan said...

I get what you're saying - but let's not forget that nobody put a gun to their heads. I think as adults they had to know what they were getting into before becoming actors.

Two of my all time favorite actors are Meryl Streep and Daniel Day Lewis. They can totally transform themselves with each new character. I wonder how much their weight/physiques fluctuate or are their transformations achieved through other means.

Filmi Girl said...

Ah! I totally forgot to respond to this yesterday.

@moimeme I don't think it's Body Nazism to ask an actor to change his or her look for a film. What I'm concerned about is how all heroines now, on screen and off, playing "average girls" or supermodels, are being told they MUST be slim or they will be ripped apart by the media. That's body nazism and it leaks over into everyday life when real girls then feel the same pressure to be slim or be mocked.

Salman Khan is a powerful guy and I'm sure he wouldn't do anything he didn't want to. I wouldn't be confident to say the same about a struggling starlet.

I do appreciate the comment, though. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl