Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Off Topic: Bollywood Needs Boybands!

Most of the talk about Bollywood needing to "catch up" and adopt the norms of other global entertainment industries is ridiculous. Bollywood is Bollywood and that is why so many people love it. That being said, there is one thing that I feel is really lacking in Indian pop culture in general - boy bands.

The only one I can think of is F4 featuring a very likable Meiyang Chang!



You would think that the boy band would be all over the place. Groups of three-plus guys who are adequate (and sometimes superb) at singing and dancing and who funnel members into film and television projects for which the boy band then provides the music? Why isn't Y Films all over this?! I'm not going to lump Atif Aslam and Ali Zafar into this category since they are legit musicians but imagine FOUR potential Atifs in one band and you see where I'm going with this...

Here are some of my favorites... perhaps you'll see yours, too!



THE MONKEES



The pre-fab four were assembled to anchor their own (awesome) TV show and sang hits written by some of the top song writers in the business!

WHAM



Although George Michael is now better know for his toilet adventures, time was he led one of the 80s finest boybands...

N*SYNC



Being in a boyband is considered embarrassing in the US but let's not forget that one of America's most lovable exports got his start singing with four other guys. Yes, that's right... JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE!

And this album still rocks! Produced by B.T.


East Asia provides more than its fair share of boybands. I'm not sure why they are rooted so deep in Asia...

From Taiwan comes FAHRENHEIT


One of my favorite songs of theirs... a collaboration with girl group S.H.E. (who also rock!)

Korea is home to what I call the supra-boyband, each consisting of approximately a billion members that will then split into sub-boybands as necessary.


SUPER JUNIOR is a prime example of this type. (You're welcome.)

One of my other favorite things is the boyband assembled for a television show that then goes out and is a real band. (See also: Taiwan's F4.)


A.N.JELL were pre-fabricated for a fabulous Korean television series called You're Beautiful. The lead singer Jang Gun Seuk is a real singer and is one of my favorite things on the planet. (Seriously.)

And then there is Japan, home to Johnny's Jimusho aka Johnny Kitagawa's fantastic stable of boyband entertainers. He has them all - boybands who play their own instruments, boybands who mostly dance, boybands who mostly sing, boybands who mostly act and/or do comedy. And don't forget the Johnny's Jrs! Up and coming strugglers who start in their early teens and pay some serious dues before getting a debut.

My favorite Johnny's band is ARASHI!


(For obvious reasons.)

They also have a delightful TV show where they interview special guests and play ridiculous games.

(A recently debuted Johnny's band is Kis-My-Ft2 aka KisuMai... they perform on roller skates.

And I can't forget my no. 1 favorite fake boyband... BOYZVOICED out of Norway!


Seriously, Bollywood! Step up 'yo game!

4 comments:

Indian Essay said...

FG, there certainly are boy bands in India, just not in bollywood. Parikrama, Indian Ocean, Swarathma, and many many more. They are part of the touring rock circuit and don't really get roped into Bollywood, unfortunately ;o(

Filmi Girl said...

@Indian Essay But those are ROCK bands, yes? They are a different breed from what I'm talking about... which are BOYbands. :) I am acquainted with Desi Rock Bands... and it would be fun to see them in Bollywood once in a while.

batulm said...

Filmi Girl, As long as Farhan Akhtar doesn't take the suggestion and start his own BoyBand, I'm happy. :)

Nerdypanda said...

OMG, Filmi girl I didn't know you liked K-pop. OMG, you are a SuJu fan? Do you watch K-dramas? Do you know Siwon is coming in a new drama called poseidon. Oh, Faranheit and S.H.E take me to my Hanakimi days. This post brought such good memories. BTw, I agree India needs boybanda. Indian Flower boys. Tee Hee.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl