Friday, August 5, 2011

Friday Gossip!

So, I've been seeing quite a few "news" stories running around about Aamir Khan taking over for Sanjay Dutt as Munnabhai. I don't know how truthful any of them are but I do want to say that I don't think it's worth doing another film about Munnabhai and Circuit without Sanjay Dutt and Arshad Warsi. Their specific chemistry is what made those films worthwhile. Have we really run out of ideas to the extent that we can't make something new but go the Hollywood way and just reboot and remake everything? I don't think I would even bother to see a Munnabhai remade with Aamir... Rajkumar Hirani, sir, why not just make a different gangster film with Aamir Khan? One that is tailored to his specific talents?

Also, I've been very annoyed at the coverage of the so-called Bollywood video
done by Planned Parenthood. Look, just because there are some people wearing Indian clothes and Indian music playing, it's not automatically Bollywood. That is BHANGRA music and dance. But besides that, WHY does this exist? What is the point of appropriating cultural dance and costume they clearly don't understand? Is it supposed to be funny to see bhangra dancing? Edgy? What?

I hate this kind of appropriating culture without context.

Anyways, today in gossip - RGV's Not A Love Story trailer; John Abraham DID SOME STUNTS for Force; celebrity autobiographies; Piggy Chops is both a transvestite and recording an album; and some other odds and ends!



* Indian school girls are starving themselves to reach size zero.

* I'm not sure what the takeaway of this piece is supposed to be other than Bollywood does not have the pan-Indian appeal it claims.

* Confidential to those participating in the Nag Panchami Film Fessssssstival - the Times of India has decided to join you with a list of ten snake films!

* Dharmendra's autobiography is in progress!

Recalling a few episodes, Dharamendra said, he fondly remembers the time when his daughter Vijeta (from his first marriage) was getting married. He said, "You know how houses are in Mumbai, there is always a space crunch. So, when my daughter was getting married, I had so many guests that I was finding it difficult to accommodate them. But then Yash Chopra came to the rescue. I and Yash are neighbours and we have a common wall between our lawns. So, during that time, Yash told me, 'let's break this wall, so that all your guests can move around and enjoy freely.' And we actually broke that wall and combined the lawns. It was such a heart touching gesture by him that I still remember."

* I also want to purchase Bob Christo's autobiography!

In his foreword, Tom Alter recounts a delightful anecdote: during a shooting sequence, Alter remembers Christo disappearing into a bog atop a black stallion.

* Sigh. Just what the world needs - a pop music album from Priyanka Chopra.

* I'd rather see her follow Shahrukh's lead and do a reality show or actually playing a transvestite in Ra.1.

* Salman's Kick confirmed for 2012.

* The wording in the tidbit is kind of word salad but this flim seems like one to keep an eye on...

Arjan Bajwa is all set to play a role inspired from Vibhishan in the film titled Vibhishan. The film stars Manoj Bajpai in a role inspired from Raavan and is directed by Maqbool Khan and produced by Vikram Bhatt.

* Mallika Sherawat talks about her career.

Do you think you haven’t got your due in Bollywood?

Oh, I think I’ve got my due for sure. I’ve survived for nine years without acting opposite a single A-list Bollywood male actor. And there were always people who didn’t like you and run you down. But what’s important for me is that I’ve been hit, I’ve lost some fights, but I’ve never been knocked down.


* Shilpa Shetty's bald look - although her eyebrows are still coifed - in her Chinese film is revealed.

* Ranveer Singh admits the male casting couch exists.

* Shiney Ahuja will return to cinema screens but without any A-list actresses.

* Kangana Ranaut is out of the Dutt camp.

* The Force PR team is really pushing the idea that John Abraham did all his own stunts. I saw at least a handful of pre-written pieces on it.

Lastly, here's the trailer for noted drunk tweeter Ram Gopal Varma's latest - Not A Love Story!



4 comments:

Sal said...

Priyanka actually sings quite well; she's got a sort of airy, Alisha Chinoy-esque voice. Also, she did do a reality series, right? She hosted a season of Khatron ke Khiladi, the Indian version of Fear Factor.

Yunus Perveez said...

wow that Priyanka news is bigger than i imagined. Quite cool looking at the names involved!

And doesnt Manyata just constantly have an evil glint in her eyes? the dark side of the force is strong in her...

Filmi Girl said...

@sal I was thinking more along the lines of an American style personal reality show where the cameras follow her around to see what she does all day. That I would watch. LOL!

@Asim I don't know, dude. Does the world really need a PC album? Maybe she has a burning musical vision that she needs to share... I'm willing to concede that. And if that's the case - and it's good - then cool.

Personally, I suspect we're looking at the next Speak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_%28Lindsay_Lohan_album%29

dustdevil liz said...

Thanks for the link to the TOI list of snake films.

I noticed that the director and choreographer of the Planned Parenthood video are Desi, and I assume that there are Indian-Americans who work/volunteer for PP, so I think it might be actual pop-cultural expression rather than appropriation. (E.g. the "Diwali" episode of The Office.)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl