Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Costume Appreciation Day: Neha Dhupia in Phas Gaye Re Obama

After months of waiting, I finally got to check out Phas Gaye Re Obama last night. While it wasn't the laff riot I was hoping for, it had a shaggy, understated charm and folks who enjoyed films like Khosla Ka Ghosla and Oye Lucky Lucky Oye would probably really enjoy it. Would you get a kick out of hearing the Iraq War being told as if it was an inter-village squabble between a guy named Buss and Saddam? Then you will enjoy this film!

I don't have much to say on the film itself [Review: It was okay! - FG] but I thought I would share the one thing that really caught my attention. Neha Dhupia, who has been quietly building up a nice solid resume of character work, plays Munni, a lady dacoit ready to kick some (male) butt and take care of bidness. She's backed by a delightful gang of lady goondas who all go by filmi names - Deepika, Kareena, Rani, etc.



The dreaded Munni makes her first appearance!







A royal blue Punjabi salwaar suit is perfect for meeting with corrupt police officers!



And for doing some art work - chiseling clay from the male statue to attach to the lady statue. What? It's a hobby.

[I believe that is Kareena (Maya) on the left and Deepika (Minisha Mendonca) on the right. Please do correct me if you Google yourself, ladies!]





Note Deepika's stylish goonda vest with the handy pocket!

Also, note Neha Dhupia's fantastic eyes...



Life is good when you're the boss...



Dealing with ridiculous underlings who refuse to obey orders calls for a fire engine red salwaar suit.



"Are you really trying to pull that shit with me?"



I love the zazzy print kameez Kareena is rocking back there.



Only a cream colored salwaar suit will do while waiting to sniff out deception!



"Oh, I know you didn't just interrupt me during arts and cratfs!"



"See this clay head right here? Now, imagine this was you..."



Darling, only a forrest green salwaar suit will do for shooting jerks in the face with a shotgun!





Rajat Kapoor is ON NOTICE! Snap!





When meeting with corrupt government officials, a rust red salwaar suit conveys power.



Intimidation through sculpture is a unique talent!



Munni doesn't put up with fools, mister.



That's how you lean like a boss... DAY~UM!



Check out the sweater vest on bozo back there!





For settling up accounts, choose a chocolate brown salwaar suit. It lends an air of sober responsibility.



I love you, Munni! Please visit us in another film soon!

[The rest of the lady pack were Alpa Joshi as Preity; Shashi Gunjal as Madhuri; and Purnima as Rani. They were awesome!]

1 comment:

Lime(tte) said...

I had also expected a little more from this film, personally I found Tere Bin Laden much more funny, but it was okay. And another step towards a Golden Era of Comedy in Indian cinema (well, that's a dream of mine).

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl