Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beauty Pageant Week: Priyanka Chopra

Check out previous entries on Aishwarya Rai and Sushmita Sen.


Pageant Achievements: Priyanka Chopra


Runner Up, Femina Miss India, 2000

Recognize that young women? Why, that’s Priyanka Chopra! Runner up behind Lara Dutta in the 2000 Femina Miss India pageant.



Little did this lucky girl know she would be starring opposite Shahrukh one day...





Shahrukh: “I’m as nervous as you are. I grow weak in the presence of beauty.”

Priyanka: “Thank you very much.”

Shahrukh: “I’m going to read out my question. It’s long but the answer would be quite simple, I’m sure. [pause] This is hypothetical. Who would you rather marry - a great Indian sportsman with all the records in Indian cricket like Asar-bhai here, who makes our country proud, will take you all around the world, and make you swell with pride, or an artistic businessman with a difficult name name to pronounce like Swarovski who would bedeck you with jewels and fine necklaces and you’ll never have to buy a chandelier for your house ever again or a Hindi film star like me [puases for crowd cheering] who has nothing better to do than to give you complicated multiple choice questions about a hypothetical wedding like this.

And before you answer, let me tell you, whatever your answer is, isn’t going to prejudice our marks for you, I’m sure. Asar-bhai and Swarovski won’t mind... so go for me if you...”

Priyanka: “Thank you very much, sir. Well if I was to choose one of these very three difficult choices, I think I would go for a great Indian sportsman. Because when I come back home, or when he comes back home, I know I will be there to be his support, to tell him I’m proud of him just as much as India is. To be able to tell him, ‘Hey, look, you did your best and you are the best.’ And I will take immense pride in my husband, who will be a man of strong character if he can bring so much pride to my country. Thank you very much.”





(And, yes, that’s Lara Dutta and Dia Mirza - the winner and 2nd runner up, respectively!)

Miss World, 2000





You want to start about 4:50 into this video...





Look at that face! She’s so excited!



The weight of the crown...



Yes, darling, it’s there! You won!





With mum and dad...



With fellow pageant queen Dia Mirza, who won Miss Asia Pacific that same year!



Priyanka Chopra has long since traded her sash and crown for movie cameras but she returned as a judge in the Miss World pageant of 2009!

6 comments:

Amaluu said...

I actually think the thing that looks the most different are her eyes. Is it just that she wears colored contacts now? Or are her eyes ... surgically enhanced somehow? I don't even know if that's possible, but I guess they do those eye operations in Asia, so who knows.

Filmi Girl said...

@amaluu No, you're right. I was thinking that, too. It looks like she had an 'eyelid lift' or something like it. I do think her old nose was a lot more flattering to her face...

She looks SO DIFFERENT now... you almost can't recognize her.

Jess said...

I've actually spent a bit of time investigating the PC nose thing, because for a while I didn't believe it. But I think she had two 'adjustments' she got rid of a bump on the bridge a while ago, but her nose looked pretty much the same. But about 3 years ago she almost changed it completely. I still don't get why...too me she used to look much more unique than she does now.

Oh well either way I still watch all her movies :)

NaF said...

Oh man, pity about the nose.

I used to think she is SOOO exquisite and different-looking when I saw Andaaz and Mujhse Shaadi Karoge, very pretty girl. And then she fixed her nose and now she looks.. like Michael Jackson. RIP MJ.

Nerdypanda said...

Oh, I remember watching this as a kid in India! Brings back so many memories. I remember my Grandpa being happy about India winning all the paegents that year. Thank you Filmi girl :D

lady said...

She has definitely done something to her looks, considering that 10/11 years later, Lara Dutta and Dia Mirza still look the same and only PC has changed.
Also those are not her parents in that photo.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl