Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tuesday Gossip!


Today in gossip - Cocaine takes over Hyderabad's filmi elites; Neha Dhupia talks Eva Braun; Masti 2; I may have to eat my words over Bol Bachchan; Pakistan's stylish Love Mein Ghum; and MORE!


* This expose on Tollywood
cocaine use is pretty eye-opening...

Hyderabad's filmy janata woke up to coke just over five years ago when the industry began getting bigger and paycheques of lead actors fatter. The white powder became a symbol of affluence, say insiders. Unlike the cheap ganja, prevalent till the beginning of the decade, the price of a gram of good cocaine is roughly around Rs 2,500-3,000. "Drug abuse has been rampant in Tollywood ever since its inception. It has turned more high-end these days and celebs, instead of smoking ganja, are now snorting or injecting themselves," says a well-known producer, pointing out that "some percentage" of the 70mm stars were addicted to coke, besides other narcotic drugs. He even claims that the star numbers were steadily rising on the coke charts.

Varun Sandesh has been nabbed in a sting, apparently.

* The
Wall Street Journal tackles Gandhi to Hitler.

“If Ben Kingsley can play Gandhi, then why can’t Raghubir Yadav play Hitler,” said Mr. Kumar, referring to the Oscar-winning 1982 biopic that continues to appear on Indian television. “It’s an experiment. In India no one has done it.”

Mr. Kumar said he chose Hitler as a subject for his first movie because as a boy his father used to recount to him stories from history, including about Gandhi, Hitler, the Fascist Italian leader Benito Mussolini and the American president who presided over the end of slavery, Abraham Lincoln.


I'm actually really looking forward to this one. I know it's been getting a lot of terrible buzz, but I generally do have a soft spot for universally panned films, so who knows? I could really enjoy it.

* Neha Dhupia discusses
her role.

“Eva was someone who was quite flamboyant with Hitler's soldiers. But behind that exterior of being happy and charming, there was certain sadness and romanticism in her. I have become mellower than ever after playing her,” the actress said.

*
Singham roars with box office triumph!

* Geneila and Riteish, the couple that I don't really believe is a couple, is gearing up for
Masti 2. Has anybody else seen Masti? I thought it was pretty funny... I could get behind a Masti 2, as long as there was no Aftab. That guy is an awful actor.

* Are we going to be seeing the next
Neal'n'Nikki? Priyanka's cousin is making an official debut opposite Boney Kapoor's son Arjun.

* As much as I think Abhishek is an overrated actor, I do think he does comedy well... I may have to eat crow on
Bol Bachchan. Rohit Shetty seems to have all his bases covered.

*
Dostana 2 is facing massive script trouble.

* Anees Bazmee is waiting for his
Ready payments.

* Sajid Nadiawala has no script for his
Shahid Kapoor starrer.

* Abhay Deol clearly doesn't like
giving interviews but manages to be charming nonetheless.

* Hmm... I wonder why tall Katrina Kaif was
not paired with Aamir in Dhoom 3... Hmm...

* Catch up with Junoon's
Salman Ahmed.

Bollywood’s interest in Sufi music is because Sufism is a huge part of subcontinental culture ever since the times of Hazrat Amir Khusro, Khwaja Gharib Nawaz and Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya. Even in the age of cell phones, Twitter, Facebook and the Internet, there’s a natural desire in people to experience love, peace and transcendence, which Sufi music provides. The song “Beshaq mandir masjid todo” in Raj Kapoor’s Bobby, showed me as a child, the power of Bulleh Shah’s poetry and was a perfect example of how the secular and the sacred can coexist harmoniously.

* And thanks to
Mr. Dishoom-dishoom for pointing me to Love Mein Ghum - and the song that is the Pakistani film industry's "Om Shanti Om."

While one cannot make an overall connection of this buffet of stars to the film as a whole, the song works as an excellent strategy of identifying the key players in the show biz industry today. He also breaks down barriers between what was always understood to be a philistine film industry and an elitist and esoteric fashion coterie — a connection that one hopes will finally stylise Pakistan’s guache film industry that desperately needs a new lease of life.

* I suspect this
blind item is Bipasha Basu... what think you?

Check out... the stylish trailer for
Love Mein Ghum!



And the rather shocking trailer for Om Puri's film on honor killings...
Khap.

4 comments:

maxqnz said...

"If Ben Kingsley can play Gandhi, then why can’t Raghubir Yadav play Hitler,” I find this quote very worrying. It seems to reinforce the perception that the makers of the film simply do not get, cannot grasp, the perception of Hitler that is common outside of India. From numerous comments by Indian personalities (and reports of strong sales of Mein Kampf to Indian business students), there seems to be a fuzzy perception of Hitler as a "strongman who got things done", perhaps with a bit of "he stuck it to the Brits", for added piquancy. Coming from a background like that, where positive, complimentary assessment of Hitler are not seen as remarkable or noteworthy, I wonder how easy it would be for the film's creative team to truly grasp how Hitler is viewed outside India. Even the director's comments about being told tales of history seemed to lump Hitler in as just another historic figure. Maybe it will be an intelligent, well-handled look at the character, but I have yet to read anything that suggests this is ilkely. The film also raises an interesting new angle to BW's apparent love affair with Israel. I don't foresee too many promotional junkets to Tel Aviv pushing THIS film.

Filmi Girl said...

@Maxqnz That is exactly why I'm so curious to see it. I'd love to see a different take on Hitler... I'm not a Hitler fan, by any means, and I don't think the film will justify genocide, but I think different interpretations of cultural icons should be aired - even if they just reinforce our original perceptions. Does that make sense?

And LOL!!! at the Israel comment. Yeah, I don't think this will play well in Tel Aviv.

maxqnz said...

Oh, I wasn't saying it shouldn't have been made, just that I genuinely wonder if the creative team can grasp the likely reaction. They did spend many months defending the original title quite vigorously before finally being persuaded that it would be box-office poison of the most lethal sort outside India. The fact that it took them so long to concede that "My Friend Hitler" was an AWFUL name suggests that they may not understand what they're up against.
On a tangential note, I did love that I wasn't the only one who thought of "Springtime for Hitler" when I first heard of the film, and laughed at the line from the WSJ about the Himalayas standing in for the Swiss Alps!

Michael Barnum said...

I will be so very disappointed if Love Mein Ghum is not released on DVD with subtitles...I really want to see that film...and buy the soundtrack...the songs are all quite nice.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl