Okay, today in gossip - Ajay Devgn and Rohit Shetty talk Singham; women rule television serials; Ra.1 hits Taiwan; some starlets scuffle with their directors; Vivek is excited for Krrish 2; AND MORE!
* Here we go - FANS UNHAPPY WITH PLANS FOR A K3G SEQUEL. Yes.
“Have filmmakers really run out of original ideas in Bollywood that they keep carrying a tired story forward through remakes or sequels?” asks 35-year-old Rishi Bhatia.
Yes, thank you!
* Op-ed by Joginder Tuteja on the global phenomenon of the lack of the female bonding flick.
It's the same story in coming months as well. Rohit Jugraj is trying for years to woo someone who can back his 'desi adaptation' of Charlie's Angels. He is still brave enough as not many are even trying to take this lane. It is still 'bwoys' and only 'boys' for many more months to come. Players, is again an all 'boys' saga though Sonam Kapoor and Bipasha Basu are thrown in for good measure. Meanwhile makers of Golmaal, Dhamaal and Pyaar Ka Punchnama are already embarking upon their next 'boys bonding' saga. Munnabhai 3 is on the anvil too while a quintessential 'boys bonding' film would be arriving before close of year in the form of Desi Boyz.
* On the other hand, women rule in television.
Opines Shoma Munshi, professor of anthropology at the American University of Kuwait: “It is a combination of willful suspension of disbelief and empowerment. These soap stories being woman-centric by nature, locate the women in the family home. Scenes and situations demonstrating that competence in the personal sphere is valued and women who are able to cope and handle difficult, complex situations effectively, are shown. Women like Parvati and Tulsi epitomize strong moral fiber, courage and life-affirming qualities that are inspirational. Also, unlike Bollywood movies, women’s bodies in these serials are not commodified or objectified.”
Just a warning, though, the article contains some quotes from the Men's Rights perspective which are just... squicky.
* Great interview with Ajay Devgn and Rohit Shetty - the Singham pair!
Your dance steps in one of the songs have been compared to Lady Gaga.
Ajay Devgn: My dance steps! (looks shocked) I don't know where that has come from (Laughs). You should ask our choreographer Ganesh Acharya. I guess he will be the right person to answer the question.
Rohit Shetty: Who is she? (Laughs)
* The Big B is making a cameo appearance in Sridevi's English Vinglish.
* Ra.1 is going to be released with Taiwanese subtitles in Taiwan and Endhiran with Korean subtitles in South Korea! VERY COOL! I bet both go over like gangbusters... if Ra.1 is any good, that is.
* Whoa... what?! This can't possibly be true - Ajay, Salman, and Sanju uniting for an action film? I don't think I've seen Sanjay Dutt do anything more active than sit in a chair for the last two-three years...
* What an odd he-said she-said scuffle between 1920 girl Adah Sharma and Vikram Bhatt... he says she's not taking his calls, she says she is. Is this whole thing just made up? (Possible!)
* Another odd scuffle between Minissha Lamba and Bheja Fry director Sagar Ballary has her calling him immature for chopping her role in their latest film.
* Ali Zafar attends the premiere of Atif Aslam's Bol.
* Shahrukh and Gauri did too much shopping abroad and were detained at customs.
* I think Vivek Oberoi is as excited for Krrish 2 as the rest of us are.
Check out a fun video blog on the making of Singham!