Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Gossip!

My apologies for missing yesterday's gossip post! I had a bit too much fun on Friday night and, well, I slept Saturday morning away.

Today in gossip - new song promo for Aarkashan; Sanjay Dutt refuses a father figure role; Shirish Kunder never said anything about Sonakshi's weight; Rakhi Sawant is hilarious and possibly drunk; and more!!


* My top story today is that Shirish Kunder denied saying that
Sonakshi was too fat.

When we asked Shirish if he had indeed asked Sonakshi to shed weight for Joker, this is what he said: "That's not true. I love her the way she is!"

Well, thank goodness! I'm very relieved that the story was false.

* Zarine Khan thinks all the talk about her weight
is ridiculous.

"I was written off after my debut in Veer. Now, steadily, the perception is changing. Yet, people aren't always noticing my acting skills. My weight has become a national issue. Even on the Internet, I see that my weight is a point of constant discussions. And I fail to understand why. Aren't Indian women known for being voluptuous. Indian men don't even like thin women, so why is everyone trying to look like ramp models in the west? Where is our uniqueness and individuality then," she asks. We agree.

*
Early reviews are terrible for Gandhi to Hitler. Of course, this is exactly the kind of thing that makes me want to see it even more. (What can I say, I have a soft spot for flop films.)

* The Guardian tackles Tomatina and
Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara in yet another one of those uninspired New Global Bollywood essays.

Bollywood is changing as India surges ahead. "The film business became more professional during the last decade once the government made bank finance available," said Jehil Thakkar from KPMG . "Professionalism still remains a challenge, but companies such as Eros have brought in a new dynamism."

The old drawbacks in Indian creative industries have also begun to recede. Producers are no longer dependent upon shady financiers, many of them from the criminal underworld. Professionally managed film companies have brought in American-style studio practices.


* Mohammed Rafi's son is
writing a book about his father.

* Ajay Devgn, Star is
explored in an insightful piece.

His friend Rohit Shetty, director of Singham and the Golmaals, is one of several colleagues who believe Devgn does not get his due because “he is bad at his PR”. Asked if he thinks Singham may be big at the popular awards in end-2011, Shetty replies acerbically: “It depends on whether Ajay will dance at the awards functions. He won’t, so I’m not getting Best Director and he won’t get anything either. Forget about getting awards, Ajay and I have not been invited to the Filmfare Awards for five years now.”

* New music directors are
breaking through to mixed results.

But, every coin has two sides. Are there creative restrictions in making a film’s soundtrack as opposed to doing a personal project? Mohan says, “If you’d asked me this question a few months back, I would have told you point blank that composing music for a film is the worst thing that can happen to a musician. It takes time getting used to the new setup, but things are now different and better.”

Citing some reason for possible disputes, Tapan quips in, “There are a lot of people involved in a film project — the sound is just one facet of the entire production. So, it has to be in sync with the film. A painter making a portrait can’t change the face, right?”


* Oh, Rakhi Sawant...
never change.

* Big star voices can't save
animated disasters.

But that kind of seamless blending between character and voice is rarely seen when our own Bollywood stars dub for animated films. Whether it is because of poor casting or because the actor does not have the ability to act with just his voice, the result is most often a flop.

Like in the case of the 2008 release,
Roadside Romeo, which was largely touted as a Saif-Kareena film. A huge buzz was created around the film's star cast, with the animation itself getting barely any publicity. Animation has long been stereotyped in India as something that only children watch, so it seemed like an attempt by the producers to bait the adult audiences.


* Will
Aarakshan be affected by Uttar Pradesh politics?

* Shooting for Kangana's
Mile Na Mile Hum is complete.

* We may see novel
Bombay Duck is a Fish on the big screen!

* I've been kind of half-following the progress of Salman's attempts to
get Sanjay Dutt to play his father in Bodyguard. Apparently, Sanjay finally refused and Salman has gotten rid of the character all together. I kind of wish Jackie Shroff had been able to do it. I've grown to like him quite a bit over the last couple years and his turn in Veer sealed the deal for me! Jackie Shorff, zindabad!



New song trailer for
Aarakshan... I don't know, guys, I really want to like this but Saif's plastic face is so unnerving. You just know he thinks he looks like Deepika and Prateik's contemporary but really, he's old enough to be both of their fathers.

Sigh. I think I have to wait to see the whole film and hope that Saif's performance is good enough to make me forget all the work he's had done. He's such a talented actor that it would be a shame if I couldn't enjoy his films anymore.

4 comments:

dagnyfan said...

They should use Shreyas Talpade to do the voices for an animated film.

Totally unrelated...I just saw Pardes and hated it. Have you seen it? What was your opinion of this film, Filmigirl? What I want to know is did they oversimplify the portrayal of America, Americans and NRI's to cater to an audience or did the people involved with this films think they were being accurate? And to think it was a hit! Rant over...for now.

Filmi Girl said...

@dagnyfan Heh. There are a number of talented voice actors they could use... but star power still has a hold.

And I actually haven't seen Pardes but from what I heard, I would probably assume they were catering to audience expectations.

Sita-ji just wrote it up: http://bollywoodfoodclub.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/pardes-america-is-very-bad-for-the-indian-soul/

Although, she likes it... ;) I think I'll spare myself.

Bombay Talkies said...

Was reading the Guardian this morning and wondered if you were going to address that article.

I actually don't have any major issues with the article but have you read the comments? Do you ever get the feeling that it wouldn't really matter what the article said, there'd still be the exact same commenters there saying the exact same things?

Sometimes I wonder if any of them have knowledge of the world outside their own brains.

Filmi Girl said...

@bombay talkies UGH! Those comments were awful... the article wasn't bad, it just didn't say anything I haven't read before, you know? I feel like every year some journalist picks up this "Wow, Bollywood is now modern i.e. Western" thread and runs with it.

I should compile them into one giant post for kicks.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl