Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday Gossip!

I forgot to mention yesterday that went I went to see ZNMD in the theater, the trailer that affected me the most was for Vikram's new movie. How I wish that Tamil films were released in the US with subtitles!!! I know it's not just white folks like me who want to see these but don't speak Tamil... Anyways, it looks like a real tearjerker and even though I couldn't understand what was going on, Vikram was so good that I could just tell I would bawl my way through it. The title is Deiva Thirumagal but I would avoid the wiki page which seems to have given away the ENTIRE plot in the summary, which I hate and which happens a lot on Indian film pages.

Anyways, today in gossip - Aamir and Genelia dropped from some films; career change for Manissha Koirala; cultural meanings of Bollywood dance; promo for the adorable looking
Bubble Gum; and MORE!


* O ho!!! Aamir Khan is
OUT of Bombay Velvet! I remember all the fuss over casting him in the first place. The cast is now Naseer, Kay Kay Menon, and John Abraham.

* Genelia D'Souza is
OUT Bol Bachchan, the supposed remake of the original Golmaal that nobody asked for.

*
Manissha Koirala has been attached to the Nepali film on Buddah... as director!

* Geeta Basra is doing an item number for Arshad Warsi's
Zilla Ghaziabad.

* Sridevi's comeback film is going to be titled
English Vinglish and based on a popular TV show about a housewife who is learning English.

* Sonu Sood's look in
Maximum is revealed.

* Vidya Balan feels a deep connection with
Bengali culture.

* Amitabh Bachchan doesn't believe in the
caste system.

* The multiplex and distributer profit sharing agreement expired at the end of June -
Harry Potter was the first film up for debate.

There was tension and high drama till the eleventh hour with Warner Bros. insisting that it wouldn’t release the film in the multiplex chains if it was not given 50% of the net collections in the first week and, likewise, the same percentage share as given to distributors of Bollywood films in the subsequent weeks too. Ultimately, a middle route was adopted on Thursday night and the impasse was broken. The MAI decided to pay to Warner and its distributors the same percentage share which it would pay to the distributors/studios of the Hollywood films in the next four weeks.

* Check out an interesting piece on the
NRI cultural appropriation of "Bollywood" dance.

Seven-year-old Preeti of New York performed Choli Ke Peeche Kya Hai at the 47th Indian Independence Day celebrations in New York City. The performance underscored how appropriation, authenticity, and imagination coalesce into circulated and performed dimensions of Bollywood dance. Though Preeti mimicked many of the original steps, including gyrations of her hips and flirtatious facial expressions, the potential vulgarity of her performance was consciously constrained. Her body was covered in a costume less seductive that the one Madhuri Dixit wore and some movements of Bharata Natyam were inserted into the orchestration and the choreography. This was probably designed to present her as a miniature of “Indian Culture.”

Lastly, check out the first look of
Bubble Gum, which looks way more fun and youthful than anything Y films has put out.



SO CUTE!

3 comments:

J Hurtado said...

Pretty much all wiki pages for films give away they entire plot. Anyway, Deiva Thirumagal looks completely ridiculous to me. I've posted about its ridiculousness twice over at Twitch. I don't know that I could sit through it with a straight face.

Moimeme said...

FG, Deiva Thirumagal is advertised as being with English subtitles in my neck of the woods. Maybe you should call your local distributor? I was thinking of seeing it because of the subtitles, but then found out what film it is a remake of, and lost interest.

dagnyfan said...

Did anyone else think the boy bore an uncanny resemblance to Prateik Babbar? I thought for sure it was a younger version of him.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl