Thursday, July 7, 2011

Costume Appreciation Day: Babban in Ishqiya

As I was live-tweeting while watching Ishqiya the other day, Suzy tweeted back at me, fondly remembering Babban's party shirt in the film.

Well, I wouldn't be FILMI GIRL if I didn't take that tweet and run with it. Babban's buttoned down shirts were one of the highlights of the film for quite a few of us, so I captured them and now bring them to you!



Yes, Babban, your sartorial choices have plenty of fans!




The pushed up sleeves, the open shirt, the lean... this is Babban! Forget t-shirts... they just make everybody look 18. REAL men don't need to advertise logos...



Babban only wears
one t-shirt in the entire film and you can sense a diminishing of his machismo with it.



This colorful check is one of Babban's staples. When being more formal, he unbuttons only two buttons and accessorizes with a contrasting scarf.



A popped collar is essential for that bed-head, just woken up look...



... three buttons undone and push it back for maximum breathability!



This brown check is a more sober looking shirt - perfect for the serious look.



It's a good choice for visiting a Naxalite camp - don't want to upset the commies with too much color!





The opened buttons also come in handy when ducking for cover during a shoot-out! If there were any more done up, it would impede movement. Imagine trying to avoid bullets with a shirt pulling across one's chest!



The brown check can also be used to seduce young ladies - note the pushed up sleeves and rakish angle to the pose!





A green check is a bright, spring-like choice; perfect for faux-casually reading romance novels while scoping out ladies!




Or for giving Khalu-uncle the stink eye!





For plotting kidnappings, he can't go too crazy - a serious small brown check.



Add a scarf to make it seductive!


A plain brown shirt is ideal for undercover work! "A rogue?! ME?!" It says...


... but you can't disguise that charm!



Finally... the party shirt! The powers of this rose-themed plaid are legend...




Pushing back the collar to let more pheromones waft out into the air...



After Krishna slaps him, Babban pulls back. And then she grabs the party shirt and pulls him back in! THE POWER OF THE PARTY SHIRT!




The PARTY SHIRT even brings out the pimp juice in ladies!

PARTY SHIRT!

PARTY SHIRT!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Shell said...

BWAH HA HAAA! If I could favorite a post, this would be it! LOVE IT! Thanks for catering your blog to me specifically! (well, maybe not really, but that's how I'm going to look at it!)

Babban and his plaid shirts totally rock my world! I'd wear one of those shirts for breakfast any day!

luscious-words said...

Oh yeah, those shirts FT-MoFo-W! Love, love, love this post!!! I'm grinning now, and the rest of the work day will not seem as long after this. :D

~ Layla

bollywooddeewana said...

I love this post on going through a characters outfit for a movie. I loke the part shirt the best, i'd totally wear it.

I had a blog doing the same but I got lazy but this has inspired me to resurrect it, please follow it

http://bollywoodmoviefashion.blogspot.com/

bollywoodfoodclub said...

Filmigirlji,
Love the specific costume appreciation day. Love it! Thanks for the shout out ji! Arshad’s Babban wore his shirts effortlessly, hai na? He worked all shirts into the plot so well that they became part of Babban. THIS, this, is so true, "The pushed up sleeves, the open shirt, the lean... this is Babban!" And no, real men need no logos on their t-shirts, but as South Indian cinema would have it, the Telugu remake of Ishqiya , "Sneha," has its Babban counterpart wearing 29 different graphic t-shirts, and it was so distracting that I believe it’s precisely why that movie went straight to DVD and had no theatrical release.
OK, back to Babban, his stylish sporting of the open shirts, predominantly plaids, caused me to happily anticipate what shirt would come next, *spoiler alert* so when he finally dons the party shirt (still a plaid mind you, but a plaid with a sheen to it speckled with flowers) near the end of the film, I KNEW a plot twist was just around the corner. Filmigirl, you’re right, certainly the collar was pushed back to allow the pheromones to waft out, and in Babban’s case it would appear the pheromones billowed out, isn’t it? I am delighted to see you share your appreciation of the party shirt with the world. This post makes me happy, since just a few weeks back a friend had watched Ishqiya, and I asked him, "Hey, how did you like Arshad’s party shirt?" And he said, "What party shirt, I’m not sure I remember," which made me wonder if he’d even seen the film. All hail the party shirt, "three buttons undone and push it back for maximum breathability!" Oh to be a shirt on Babban! P A R T A Y SHIRT!

All the best,

Sita-ji (and/or Suzy) ;)

Christine Menefee said...

oh, thank you for this!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl