Friday, July 29, 2011

Beauty Beyond Size Zero...

I know I say this all the time but I can't emphasize enough how tired I am of the Body Nazis of Bollywood monitoring every starlet's weight loss progress. It's not that thin isn't sexy but the problem is that thin isn't the only figure type that's sexy... and recently, that is the message we've been getting from the Bollywood media machine.


Well, not every woman is physically capable of being size zero. I'm 5'9" with a fairly broad frame. I would have to remove ribs and file down my hip bones to be size zero. What is wrong with the mass media that they are pushing this one type of beauty only? The current standard being pushed by people like Sajid "Housefull" Khan requires a strict low calorie diet, hours in the gym, and "maintenance" surgery.

And starlets like Sonakshi Sinha and Sonam Kapoor are proof that it's all bogus... were they not pretty before they lost weight? Does weight loss confer talent somehow? Does it make them more interesting? More intelligent? More capable of conveying emotion on screen?


Sonakshi Sinha pre-debut...


Sonam Kapoor pre-debut...

They both look pretty and happy to me.

Weight loss is not a news story and weight loss is not an indicator of beauty or talent.

The standarization of beauty makes me sick and if Sonam Kapoor's recent hospitalizations are any yardstick -they aren't doing her any favors, either.

So, let's celebrate some of the non-standard shaped actresses working today!


NAMITHA, I LOVE YOU!



Namitha continues to rock my filmi duniya. It's only too bad the Mumbai studios are too small-minded to see her ample charms...



Charmee Kaur is such an odd-looking girl and I love her for it... if Bollywood turns her into a plastic doll, I'll be so sad...


Vidya Balan in character as Silk Smith for Dirty Picture...


And as herself. Can you believe she gets hassled for her looks? What is wrong with people?




By any rational standar, Zarine Khan is far from obese. And yet she felt compelled to apologize for not wearing a bikini in Housefull 2. Fact: I know I'm not the only one who would rather see Zarine rocking a two piece than Deepika.


Ayesha Takia is known to enjoy a good meal...


Saira Banu wasn't afraid to flash her plump and shapely legs...


Would Meena Kumari have been prettier if she starved herself into a bikini? (Hint: No.)

3 comments:

batulm said...

Filmi Girl, I completely agree with you. While I have nothing against thin, the girls (and guys) who try too hard to be thin, lose their charm. Their faces look kind of withered, and their eyes a little desperate. All the girls mentioned in your post, are beautiful, and it's a pity that Bollywood is pushing people to look like standardized nothings.

redsarah said...

Definitely agree - heaven knows I envy naturally slim women and admire those who work to keep themselves fit but I watched the Mausam song promo on your Friday blog and almost didn't recognise Sonam Kapoor. She looks seriously unwell - how can "ill" ever be "sexy"?

Sami Saayer said...

actually there is hardly any skinny girl that looks great. you missed kajol from this list. she was never skinny. this size zero is a hoax. men in general prefer flesh over bones. laetitia casta over kate moss any day.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl