Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Gossip!

Today in gossip - critics are STILL bashing Ready, interesting news on Ishqiya 2, Rajkumar Santoshi's next with Abhishek look promising, and MORE!



* What do all those
foreign locales mean?

For instance, the bubble like world of New York Punjabis in Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna could easily have been transported to London or Melbourne with no impact on the narrative. In this film and many like it there is virtually no meaningful reference to living in the U.S. or interaction with American born characters.

* Critic Shubhra Gupta writes a confused piece about how she hated
Ready and is insulted by but understands fart humor.

This is filmmaking of a kind which has always existed, everywhere, and it usually gets in the money. By the bushels. Because when a chimpanzee farts, lifting its end high in the air, with cacophonous results, what can you do other than laugh, helplessly? The laughter is contagious, resulting in more and more people streaming in to theatres to subject themselves to a sound considered impolite in company.

Seriously, I have no idea what we were supposed to take away from this other than 'people who liked
Ready were idiots,' a statement I obviously disagree with.

* Amitabh Bachchan is
young at heart and pro-daughter!

* Katrina Kaif answers questions she's probably been asked
a thousand times.

Do you think you are a misunderstood celebrity? (Rumour has it that she is not Miss Popular among her Bollywood peers.)

Apart from one or two incidents, I don't generally see anything of that sort. Yes, I read everything that's written about me. [Shrugs.]


* And this
hearsay post made me give an evil little chuckle...

Another young man who actually doesn’t quite deserve my sympathy is Abhay Deol. Considering himself a cut above the rest and preening as God’s gift to acting, while still reveling in the rush of a moth-eaten success like Dev D, Abhay has been heard whining and seen sulking about not being considered good enough to be a hero.

* Pooja Bhatt missed a court date for a
nuisance case filed way back in 2005 and now there is a warrant out for her.

* If Rajkumar Santoshi's new film with Abhishek Bachchan is a wacky comedy - which
it seems to be - Junior B might actually win me back to the theater. As long as he's neither "cool" nor trying to "act," I have no problems with the Baby B.

Lastly, some interesting news from Arshad Warsi!


arshad warsi
by filmigirl

8 comments:

Hermia said...

The foreign locales article was interesting. I am half Indian, half English and grew up in London. I have spent my whole life watching white and brown people playing at school together, working together, being friends and getting married. I then watch Bollywood films where you have middle-class NRIs who have spent their whole life in the UK, but are in a bubble. They don't seem to have any white friends or relatives & are completely untouched by British culture. I look forward to the day when I actually see a Bollywood star attempting to do a British accent!

Banannie said...

I agree with what Hermia says. I've always wondered why the folks who have been living in New York or Sydney or wherever all their lives don't have the local accent when they speak English...

Yunus Perveez said...

I think Gupta is trying to say that Ready is only a couple of steps away from Idiocracy's Ow My Balls :-)

maxqnz said...

Yes, that foreign locales iarticle was right on the money, it seems. It used a movie I passionately loathe, sKANK, as its example, but it have used Patiala House (which I like) even more effectively, since that was supposed to be all about the NRI experience, but apart from the implausibly accommodating cricket selectors, there was zero interaction with no-desis

maxqnz said...

That critique of Ready did not attack its audience AT ALL, in my reading. The author included herself in that audience by saying "The farting-as-fun can get old, even to those of us who are disposed thataway (sic)"

She also, correctly imo, paralleled Bazmee's films with the Farrelly Brothers. I would be interested to see you point out the part of the article in which she attacks the intelligence of those who go to his films. She does talk, at some length, about she wishes for more than just fart jokes, and how that sort of humour can get old and stale, but despite reading it many times, I can't find a single negative comment about the Bazmee audience, or any statement about what liking such films says about those who do. I look forward to being shown what I missed.

Filmi Girl said...

@maxqnz The piece on Ready compared laughing at it to laughing at a chimpanzee farting. The whole tone of it was dismissive... and really convoluted word salad. It made me feel like she was writing around calling the audience idiots outright. Asim (@yunus) got it exactly.

maxqnz said...

She did not attack its audience, as you said she did. She attacked the film, and was dismissive of it, but that is not the same thing as saying that " 'people who liked Ready were idiots,'". You have subsequently posted a review from someone who DID say that, and that really only makes the difference even clearer. Given her obvious disdain and perhaps contempt for the film, she had plenty of opportunity to make it personal and criticise the audience, but she did not. You said she did, and I'd very much like to be shown the passage(s) which support(s) your contention that she made it personal, contemning the audience, rather than just the film (and the genre).

Jess said...

Katrina makes me laugh, I can almost picture her rolling her eyes at some of these boring/stupid questions.

And I love Abhay Deol, cute without being a waxed muscle man.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl