Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Double Dhamaal!

I got some fun promo pictures for Double Dhamaal, which promises to be a nonsensical bad-taste comedy of the best kind.

Why do I like these low brow films so much?

I think they provide a release from the buttoned-up lifestyle we're forced to live everyday. We wear sensible clothes to work and try to eat healthy and get exercise and be good, responsible citizens. Low brow films provide an escape-valve on all the pressures of life.

I can't wear a glittery mini-dress to work but it's fun to watch Mallika Sherawat slink around in one. I have to be mature at work and can't laugh when somebody farts but an exaggerated comedy fart in a film is fair game. I know perfectly well that glitzy, tacky, sound-effect filled wackadoodle comedy films aren't great cinema but they do have a fond place in my media diet. After eating vegetables all week, don't I deserve an ice cream sundae? With a cherry on top? And sparklers? And announced with a sound effect that says Dhamaaaal every time I take a bite?

A couple pictures and the trailer after the cut!


Mallika Sherawat sizzling it up in an item song...



Kangana Ranaut and a black-faced Riteish Deshmukh. Yes, it's going to be that kind of film. Just like cross-dressing, blackface seems to be an entrenched tool in the Bollywood comedy arsenal.



And the trailer...


2 comments:

Ness said...

I've been thinking about the "why low-brow?" thing too, in light of recent twitter discussions, lol!

Obviously, everyone is totally entitled to their own taste, and that's totally cool. I love a good art film, or a serious issues film, or just a well constructed film full stop. But sometimes I just want escapism. Like you say,sometimes the plot and the politics and the technique takes a backseat to the colour, the dancing, the dumb jokes, just letting your mind switch off a bit. It's like books: sometimes I want my mind to be challenged and nourished and fed with literature, sometimes I'll read tacky trash for the fun of it.

eliza bennet said...

I think Riteish and Kangana are making a spoof of 'Parda' song in Once Upon a Time in Mumbai.


I don't mind low brow but I do like to watch some effort put on screen. Sometimes this type of film just sails by without much thought or effort visible in it.

Say a film like De Dana Dan is the type of film that I really enjoy but I just don't get the same vibe from say, Sing is King. Or sometimes there is too much effort and the light mood just evaporates (CC2C) one feels burdened by all that's happening on screen. I remember feeling bad because everybody obviously worked so hard on it and I didn't like it one bit.

I guess it is hard for me to know what I'd like or not beforehand.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl