Sunday, June 5, 2011

Bhool Bhulaiyaa... and others...

Just because I was curious... here are all the climatic songs to all the remakes of Manichithrathazhu.


From the original 1993 Malayalam language
Manichithrathazhu, "Oru Murai Vanthu."



The lovely dancing girl is Shobana...

From the 2004 Kannada language
Apthamitra, "Raa Raa."



Just to add an extra layer of morbidity, the lovely dancing girl is the late Soundarya. It was her last film role before she died in a plane crash.

From the 2005 Tamil language
Chandramukhi, "Raa Raa."



Jyothika is the lovely dancing girl and Vineeth is her partner. Rajinikanth is, naturally, the King.

From the 2007 Hindi Language
Bhool Bhulaiyaa, "Mere Dholna Sun."



Vidya Balan is the lovely dancing girl, creepy old Shiney Ahuja is the king, and Vineeth is Vidya's partner.

I'm not sure which one I like best - each has their own charms. Vidya Balan is very determined in her crazy while the late Soundarya is a hot mess and then who can top the Tamil "Raa Raa" with Rajinikanth busting into the middle of it to steal the show!

If nothing else, this highlights the difference in style for all the industries, which is one of the reasons I actually like remakes! Hindi films have more money, which shows up in the production values. Kannada films always have plumper heroines and Tamil films have Rajinikanth!

What do you guys think?

Oh, and apparently there is also a 2005 Bengali version of the film called
Raj Mahal but I could not find the song listings anywhere nor any videos. Possibly this is because, as one commenter on some site says, the final scene is done so woodenly that it's painfully funny to watch. If anybody can link me to it, please let me know and I'll edit it in later.

4 comments:

Amaluu said...

I have to go with Shobhana. She's just so fantastic!!! The original and the REAL dancer for me. It's just so hard for me to watch bad dancing (Jyothika's dancing makes me cringe so bad ... I know she's supposed to be bad, but in the flashback/dreamy thing she's supposed to be a real dancer ... and especially next to Vineeth it's doubly horrible cuz he's so good). So Shobhana FTW!

Amaluu said...

In the Hindi one, I'm sort of disturbed by how they can't decide if she's a Bharata Natyam dancer or an Odissi dancer. The costuming and the steps seem to be trying to be a mixture of both.

Ordinary Guy said...

I have seen all the films and I have to say that the Malayalam version of the climax is the best one and the film as well......

shobana won the national award for that role........

and I am not biased as I am a tamilian.

Filmi Girl said...

@amaluu Ha ha ha!! See, you are an expert in dance and while I can tell that Jyothika isn't as good as the others, it doesn't bother me on a fundamental level.

I guess the Hindi version works best with crass folk like myself who know nothing of the traditional dances but enjoy some razzle-dazzle. :)

@Ordinary Guy I think many people probably agree with you. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl