Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday Goss!

If anybody is in San Francisco, there will be a Bollywood Trivia Night at EZ5 Bar tonight!!! Go forth and represent!

Today in gossip - SRK does a video blog and an item song, Saif Ali Khan vs. the Untouchables makes the Associated Press wire, Jackky Bhagnani collapses while jogging, the trailer for BOL, and MORE!


* The big story today is probably
Shahrukh Khan's first video blog and... yeah. Who edited this thing?! There are so many quick cuts that I feel like I'm in a music video from 1992. Also, is it me or has SRK lost some of his sparkle?

I want to know what you think!

* The fuss over Saif Ali Khan in
Aarakshan has made the Associated Press.

The group said it was “vehemently opposed” to Khan’s casting as a Dalit “because he is of Muslim royal heritage”, which made him unsuitable for the role. India’s 160 million Dalits were once known as “untouchables” and given the most menial jobs. Many still face discrimination, are forbidden to use communal wells and excluded from social events, despite anti-discrimination laws.

I'll keep my eye out to see if gets picked up by the Anglo press - they love stories about the caste system!

* And stories about
Mumbai dance bars...

* Indian Film Festival in
Ethiopia! If anybody is there!

There was a mini stampede when Sholay, the all-time Bollywood hit action thriller made in 1975, was screened at the 1,200-capacity hall. "I loved the dialogues and dishum-dishum (fighting)," said Ellene Medhin, a 20-something student who has been sold on the charms of Bollywood since her teens.

* Prem Chopra won an award at an
Indian film festival in Ireland.

* Take a look at the use of
MMS scandals in cinema.

Says filmamker Prawaal Raman, whose film 404 is too based on today’s youth. “Small cameras are new inventions, so not many films are based on it. But voyeuristic nature exists in almost all of us, at various ages as social animals. Voyeurism is what is being sold through such films. And it’s usually sensational and scandalous."

* One of many television actors crossing over into film -
Ram Kapoor.

"I am happy that I am getting the kind of work I have always wanted to do. The roles, the scripts - I feel my weight and my look are favouring my stars," said Ram, who bagged the main lead despite being overweight.

Sigh. Now even "serious" actors have be thin?


* Seems the perfect time to mention that it's not only ladies who are fainting from starvation and over-exercise...
Jackky Bhagnani collapsed while jogging.

THIS IS NOT HEALTHY BEHAVIOR! I want to know who is going to refuse to see a film because the hero is a little chunky - contrary to what some might think, Govinda's waistline is
not the reason his films have been flopping.

* Rana Dagubatti talks about
his family and friends.

Most of your competitors/contemporaries are either family or friends. How do you manage your relationship?

That's the best thing about it. Bunny (Allu Arjun), Charan (Ram Charan Tej), Chaitanya and I are really close. We practically grew up together. We went to tuition together; now we also act together, just that in different genres. Bunny and Charan do large scale commercial movies; Chaitanya does very urban, romantic movies, while I do movies that are very different in terms of story telling. Hence it is important for me to get their feedback, which I do at the rushes stages itself. The competition angle never features in the relationship.


I was going to make a witty comment about box office competition and
Magadheera and DMD but it came out more unkind than funny...

* Is
Dhoom 3 going to be in 3D?

* Aishwarya is taking a pay cut for
Heroine.

* Is Karishma Kapoor making a
comeback?

* This story has been cycling around, so I may as well address it -
trouble brewing between Malaika Arora Khan and Arbaaz Khan.

* Katrina Kaif thinks item songs should have their own
National Award category.

* This just in: I want
this book. Anupama Chopra's essays on Bollywood!

Chopra wrote about all these with crisp professionalism, mixing critical insight with the sort of commercial and trend forecasting that still dictates much of the critical practice of writing about Indian cinema. Her cool judgement and straightforward prose, in these early years, are susceptible to the hasty short cuts that Indian film writing tends to encourage. For example, on Dixit: “She may not be a Meryl Streep, but she can act”. But reading her keen industry pieces on the Bhatt brothers or Amitabh Bachchan’s disastrous comeback years, there is plain evidence of the serious writer in search of a serious reader, even as she plays to a gallery looking for buzzwords about hits and flops.

* And it's not strictly Bollywood related but this is an
interesting piece on Rabindranath Tagore.

The films that Tagore acted in may have been lost, but the ICCR has ensured that his contribution to film production is not forgotten. Their mission: to promote the human side of Tagore in India and his scholarly side abroad. “In Germany, we have planned to showcase his interaction with Einstein. These great men shared a friendship, and we hope to be able to give people an insight into their relationship,” says Goel.

FINALLY! Promo for
Bol!



And the big dog is back for
Always Kabhi Kabhi!



SRK gets his item number!

6 comments:

Lime(tte) said...

Bol is looking good, SRKs video blog is looking... hmm... dunno

Michael Barnum said...

Yes, the US media should worry more about their own country's caste system (rich vs poor, white vs. every other color, straight vs. gay, etc) and stop feeling so superior by pouncing on any tit bit of caste in India.

lvrplfc4l said...

Michael when most of the media is owned by rich, white, straight men they are never going to point out their own inadequacies of course they'll love pointing them out in someone else. Sadly this plays well to the TP crowd; non-rich, white, straight men who need to yell USA over and over to have the illusion of superiority over everyone else in the world.

Anishok said...

I looooove SRK's blog and I don't think he's lost anything...but that's just me, the fangirl :)

Filmi Girl said...

@Lime(tte) I agree with you. ;D

@Michael Barnum WORD! (If the kids still say that.) The finger pointing at the rest of the world, when we have so far to go, is really annoying. It's like the finger pointing over the poor treatment of women in Afghanistan when in the US we let poor women and children die from lack of food/health insurance.

@lvrplfc4l Interesting point on the TPs!!

@Anishok Hee hee! I can't wait to hear the Internet explosion over SRK when Ra.1/Don 2 are released. :D

luscious-words said...

I'd like to see more video posts from SRK, but with less quick cuts. Although I noticed several quick cuts in the song from Always Kabhi Kabhi, so maybe it's a trend? :)

Thanks to you, I will now be adding Ram Kapoor to my list of sexy Indian men. :)

I also must add Bol to my movies I want to get. That looks interesting and very intense.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl