Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuesday Gossip!

Greetings dear Internet friends! I hope you didn't miss me too much... I had a relaxing weekend and now I'm ready and refreshed to hit the blog again. I did some reorganizing and found a pile of DVDs that I haven't watched yet, so prepare for that.

Also, I finally hung up my poster of Akshay Kumar! *whistles*

Today in gossip - a bunch of people are mentally ill and/or jerks; Shiney Ahuja tries to get back into films; find out who Aishwarya Rai's heroine is based on; read what Akshay Kumar has to say about his recent spate of flops; read a smart piece on Bollywood and Cannes; check out some song trailers from Badrinath; and MORE!


* Firstly, anybody planning a trip to Switzerland should check out this list of sites to visit.

* Remember the producers strike? Well, the producers have just been slapped with a
fine by the Competition Commission of India for abusing their power.

* Very interesting write-up on
Bollywood and Cannes and the merging of the East and West film cultures.

The real influence of Bollywood on anyone other than the diaspora is practically nil. It’s thought to be a bit of a joke—a huge engine that spews out dozens upon dozens of films a year, some of which make large profits but most of which sink without a trace. A couple of years ago, the main companies distributing Bollywood in the UK organized press shows for British critics. They duly went along to the first two or three. But the reviews were short and often negative, and soon the idea of adding to the 10 or 12 new films opening in London each week with a slice of Bollywood was quietly dropped.

* Meanwhile, in many parts of the world, Bollywood and Indian film are vital parts of the cultural conversation. Nepal's leading gay rights organization is going to be screening
Onir's I AM.

"I read the reviews of I Am and I think it's a fantastic film," says Sunil Pant, BDS founder and Nepal's only openly gay MP. "Though it was released in India, Nepal's film distributors would not touch it since it focuses on taboo subjects and is not the usual commercial film. We decided to show it in Kathmandu as we think it will be a fantastic opportunity to sensitise people to issues about the sexual minorities, child abuse, displacement and women's rights."

I would also like to point out that Nepal has an openly gay MP, which is amazing!

* Yesteryears actor Raj Kiran was found
in a mental hospital in Atlanta.

* Biswajit's son confirms that
Biswajit was a jerk. You know, I have only seen TWO films with Biswajit but they left a really nasty impression of him with me. I don't know what it is about him but he just seemed really unpleasant.

* Ismail Darbar is
publicly self-destructing. First he breaks with Sanjay Leela Bhansali and now he is accusing A.R. Rahman of buying his Oscar.

* Himesh Reshemmiya's new film is set to
clash with Ra.1. Gosh, SRK had better re-think his dates! (Right? RIGHT? Ha ha ha!)

* Shiney Ahuja is
trying to get back into Bollywood. Mothers, lock up your daughters...

* The BBC tackles
Indian X Factor.

* Salman Khan wants to make
Ready the biggest flop... for pirates!

* Akshay Kumar honestly and candidly answers
pointed questions.

Were you happy with the response to your last film, Thank You?

No. honestly, I wasn't. I thought the audiences would've liked it more. I still don't know why it fell short of the people's expectations. I tried to figure out the problem. With Tees Maar Khan, I know why it didn't work. I think audiences found it too over the top. Though it's not a flop, I spoke to people who saw
TY, and have taken the feedback seriously.


I love Akshay and I really enjoyed
Thank You!! Maybe the problem is... Thank You was made exclusively for Vanessa and me?

* There will be a
music workshop with Vishal Bhardwaj and Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy at IIFA. No word on if it's open to the general public.

* Shreyas Talepade replaces Rahul Khanna (who had a dates issue) in
Housefull 2.

* Who will be
Aishwarya's heroes in Heroine? And is Madhur now basing the heroine role on Nadira?

* Tusshar Kapoor is groom hunting for
Ekta, which kind of annoys me but I suppose Rome wasn't built in a day. Even awesome lady media moguls have to deal with men thinking they know what is best for them.

* Move over Amitabh, Dharmenda is getting his own
website!

Badrinath song teasers!!!





HI SUNIDHI CHAUHAN!!!

Let me tell you that I'm 90% ready to go see this without subtitles
if it comes to my local theater!

1 comment:

Bluemay said...

The article on Bollywood - Cannes is an interesting read and so true. It's a shame that most Western audiences (including some NRIs) think Bollywood is synonymous with Indian cinema and write-off some excellent regional and art house films which would fare well at Cannes. As in most businesses, the bottom line is money and BW caters to the Indian masses and diaspora to make money. BW knows it will make money churning out the same ole crap because the diaspora yearns for anything from the motherland. My mom watches every new movie shown on her satellite channels to see something in hindi. She even says it's "bukwass" but keeps watching it anyway.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl