Today in gossip - Minissha Lamba is detained at the airport, Saif Ali Khan snarks about Cannes, Salman causes a commotion in Ahmedabad, and MORE!* France 24 doesn't understand who Rajinikanth is but reports on his illness in a politely baffled way.
Rajinikanth, who has starred in more than 175 films in a career dating back to 1975, is one of India's biggest movie stars and inspires fanatical devotion from his many fans.Last year he starred in Endhiran (Robot), the most expensive Indian movie ever made, which broke box office records. One fan, Karthik H, wrote on the micro-blogging site Twitter: "You have problematic kidneys? I have two clean ones. Take one. Please get back to acting soon."
Check out Rajinikanth's wife giving a press conference outside the hospital.
* Bollywood stars are ignored at Cannes. The Hindustan Times finds some funny captions to Reuters photos!
* Minissha Lamba gets detained at the airport for bringing "borrowed" jewelry worth 50 lakhs (!!) in and out of the country without permission... throwing Joker filming off.
Shobha De is witty on the subject.
"Poor Minissha:Lamba race ki ghodi or lame duck?Warning to other Bollywood wannabes to leave those borrowed rocks at home.Dazzle wt yr talent."
I was trying to figure out why this story amused me so much - it's not that I hate Minissha and want to see bad things happen to her. I think Minissha is a fine actress and absolutely don't mind when she shows up in films. I think what amused me was that here is this starlet who made such a big deal about going to Cannes and glamorizing her starvation diet and how important she made herself seem and now she's been knocked down back to the reality where she's a C-list heroine who got an invite to a Woody Allen screening and borrowed some jewelry to try to make an impression.
The thing with Minissha is that it's embarrassing watching her try to be a diva in the mode of Bebo - the bikini bod failed to work its charms on audiences in Kidnap and her nose job didn't help anything. She tried to play the game and failed - and ruined her looks in the process. It's a warning to other wannabes. Minissha would have been better off taking roles in smaller films like Well Done Abba rather than try to break into the big league. Who has been advising her?
* Ah well, check out an new still from Joker!
* Saif Ali Khan covers up embarrassment at missing his photo call by snipping at his fellow Cannes attendees.
Khan, however, was unwilling to admit to the blunder and instead ridiculed the efforts of his B-town peers, claiming that turning up to endorse brands don’t count as truly representing Bollywood in Cannes. “I just think the time to go there is when you go with a movie,” the actor stressed, during the press call in Mumbai for this next Prakash Jha film Aarakshan.
Right... but does anybody remember him promoting anything about the film in Cannes?
* Is young talent finally going to give the Khans a run for their money?
Abhishek Pathak, producer of Pyaar Ka Punchnama, didn't approach any big actor because his story demanded young actors and there are only two established names that falls in that bracket - Ranbir Kapoor and Imran Khan. "It's a film about guys and girls in the age bracket of 21-23 and we only have Ranbir and Imran who could fit the roles. But they are of a different level. For me, to convince them to be in the film to be made by a new director at a small budget would have been very difficult," said Pathak.
I think all the new talent is fun to watch...! For example 404 looks interesting.
* Still, I'm glad to see tried-and-true directors like Prabhu Deva still making films. He's rumored to be directing a Hindi-language version of Siruthai.
* Um... but maybe not glad to see Dev Anand is doing a remake of Hare Rama Hare Krishna. Does the world really need this film?
* No Entry 2 is shelved.
* Manisha Koirala is in Sri Lanka for a film festival.
* Salman Khan causes commotion in Ahmedabad by making an appearance.
* Ritesh Sidwani says ZNMD is not similar to The Hangover.
* Shilpa Shetty is not pregnant.
* Does Giselli Monteiro have what it takes? She seems to think Kalki Koechlin is her competition but they aren't even in the same league!! Kalki is essentially Indian for one thing.
* And if you are in Mumbai, be sure to check out the LGBT Film Festival!