Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday Gossip!

Today in gossip - Minissha Lamba is detained at the airport, Saif Ali Khan snarks about Cannes, Salman causes a commotion in Ahmedabad, and MORE!


* France 24 doesn't understand who Rajinikanth is but reports on his illness in a politely baffled way.

Rajinikanth, who has starred in more than 175 films in a career dating back to 1975, is one of India's biggest movie stars and inspires fanatical devotion from his many fans.Last year he starred in Endhiran (Robot), the most expensive Indian movie ever made, which broke box office records. One fan, Karthik H, wrote on the micro-blogging site Twitter: "You have problematic kidneys? I have two clean ones. Take one. Please get back to acting soon."

Check out Rajinikanth's wife giving a
press conference outside the hospital.

* Bollywood stars are
ignored at Cannes. The Hindustan Times finds some funny captions to Reuters photos!

* Minissha Lamba
gets detained at the airport for bringing "borrowed" jewelry worth 50 lakhs (!!) in and out of the country without permission... throwing Joker filming off.

Shobha De is
witty on the subject.

"Poor Minissha:Lamba race ki ghodi or lame duck?Warning to other Bollywood wannabes to leave those borrowed rocks at home.Dazzle wt yr talent."

I was trying to figure out why this story amused me so much - it's not that I hate Minissha and want to see bad things happen to her. I think Minissha is a fine actress and absolutely don't mind when she shows up in films. I think what amused me was that here is this starlet who made
such a big deal about going to Cannes and glamorizing her starvation diet and how important she made herself seem and now she's been knocked down back to the reality where she's a C-list heroine who got an invite to a Woody Allen screening and borrowed some jewelry to try to make an impression.

The thing with Minissha is that it's embarrassing watching her try to be a diva in the mode of Bebo - the bikini bod failed to work its charms on audiences in
Kidnap and her nose job didn't help anything. She tried to play the game and failed - and ruined her looks in the process. It's a warning to other wannabes. Minissha would have been better off taking roles in smaller films like Well Done Abba rather than try to break into the big league. Who has been advising her?

* Ah well, check out an new still from
Joker!

* Saif Ali Khan covers up embarrassment at missing his photo call by
snipping at his fellow Cannes attendees.

Khan, however, was unwilling to admit to the blunder and instead ridiculed the efforts of his B-town peers, claiming that turning up to endorse brands don’t count as truly representing Bollywood in Cannes. “I just think the time to go there is when you go with a movie,” the actor stressed, during the press call in Mumbai for this next Prakash Jha film Aarakshan.

Right... but does anybody remember him promoting anything about the film in Cannes?

* Is young talent finally going to
give the Khans a run for their money?

Abhishek Pathak, producer of Pyaar Ka Punchnama, didn't approach any big actor because his story demanded young actors and there are only two established names that falls in that bracket - Ranbir Kapoor and Imran Khan. "It's a film about guys and girls in the age bracket of 21-23 and we only have Ranbir and Imran who could fit the roles. But they are of a different level. For me, to convince them to be in the film to be made by a new director at a small budget would have been very difficult," said Pathak.

I think all the new talent is fun to watch...! For example
404 looks interesting.

* Still, I'm glad to see tried-and-true directors like Prabhu Deva still
making films. He's rumored to be directing a Hindi-language version of Siruthai.

* Um... but maybe not glad to see Dev Anand is doing a
remake of Hare Rama Hare Krishna. Does the world really need this film?

*
No Entry 2 is shelved.

* Manisha Koirala is in
Sri Lanka for a film festival.

* Salman Khan causes commotion in
Ahmedabad by making an appearance.

* Ritesh Sidwani says
ZNMD is not similar to The Hangover.

* Shilpa Shetty is
not pregnant.

* Does
Giselli Monteiro have what it takes? She seems to think Kalki Koechlin is her competition but they aren't even in the same league!! Kalki is essentially Indian for one thing.

* And if you are in Mumbai, be sure to check out the
LGBT Film Festival!

5 comments:

S said...

Off-topic but I FINALLY saw Sevanti Sevanti. It's definitely a movie which draws a reaction out of you. Liked it a lot (especially SUPER-AWESOME Ramya) EXCEPT for the ending.

Lime(tte) said...

Pyaar Ka Panchama does look interesting - but I don't know about 404. The trailer reminds me of some film projects we did for school.
And that "haunted-chamber" trick has been used like a zillion times before.

Filmi Girl said...

@S I forget the ending, which maybe says it all!! I want to rewatch that and Chellata because I want to see if I'll have the same reactions! Ramya is fantastic, though, isn't she? Such a wonderful actress - I don't know what Bollywood actress could do a film like Amrithadhare.

Also, Alexx O'Nell just sent me a reply to your comment! I posted it on the piece. :)

@Lime(tte) Really? I thought the review sounded pretty interesting. Ah well... it's all an intellectual exercise anyways since neither is playing near me. :)

The Bolly Hood said...

I'm gonna check out 404 because the director was saying how the film doesn't fit into any genre on Bollywood Business on Zee TV. Pyaar Ka Punchnama - music is good, film looks like F.A.L.T.U.

S said...

Sorry for posting this in the wrong place FG but the comment feature on the blog is not working for the relevant post. My comment on Alexx's post:

Argh my entire comment got deleted! Thanks FG for asking Alexx and thanks Alexx for answering. :) It's interesting that he prefers film over TV but understandable given their crazy shooting schedules. It takes a lot of effort for a foreigner to be able to dub for Hindi TV but I think the effect is SO much better. Kudos to Alexx for working so hard on his dubbing! I am actually sad that I had to stop watching JKR a while ago because it got too depressing.

About Chellata - I plan to rewatch it too. I found it hilarious the first time and hopefully my reaction would not have changed. To remind you about SS 's ending - it was a typical "happy" ending which for once did not sit well with me.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl