Saturday, May 7, 2011

Saturday Gossips!

So, I went to see Thor last night... it was pretty good! And certainly a better bet than Haunted, which is the Hindi movie playing. There is the Tamil Ich Engeyum Kadhal playing, too, but I'm wary of going to see films without English subtitles. I'll only do it for films I need to see - like anything with Vikram.

How much does it cost to subtitle a print? Surely it can't be that prohibitive and would open films up to not just English-speaking me but even NRIs who might not understand a particular regional language.

Maybe the world is trying to tell me I should just learn Tamil... anybody in DC want to teach me? Hee hee!

These were brought to my attention but I haven't tried them - if you have let me know!
Bollywood Sound Machine ap that plays famous dialogues and Bollywood Name Generator ap.

Okay, today The Big B flames his fans on twitter, Always Kabhi Kabhi will send you into sugar shock, and Govinda? Find out more!


* First up, TWITAPOCOLYPSE!

You guys know that I'm not big on lazy "news" stories that dredge celebrities twitter feeds for "news." (i.e. Priyanka Chopra posted on a social networking site how much she loves
Sex and the City! WHO CARES?!) But this one was too good - Amitabh Bachchan gets into a flame war with fans who think he's promoting his son too much.


Amitabh Bachchan

@
@ @ this is not promotion .. this is a Father admiring his son ..and if you have one would you not do it too ..?

* An example in How Not To Interview from Vickey Lalwani. Farah Khan is going to be acting in a Sanjay Leela Bhansali film but instead of talking about that, this happens.

People expected your last film Tees Maar Khan to do better...

Jeez that's a compliment.


And then this.

People expected you to drop Akshay Kumar from Joker after Tees Maar Khan...

Why would I do that? Akshay did everything I asked him to. If anybody needs to be blamed for
Tees Maar Khan failure, it's me.


And that, folks, is how you phrase questions to get defensive answers that reveal nothing.

* Wow! Sorry today's gossip is full of bad examples but here is
another. The Deccan Chronicle quotes Zarine Khan as saying this:

“Makeup should always be kept to the minimum,” she says. “I don’t really use a lot of makeup because I have sensitive skin."

And then they post a picture of her wearing pancake make-up at a function and crow, "GOTCHA!"

Is it really a surprise that an actress would wear full make-up to a function where she knows she will be photographed? Maybe Zarine wears nothing on her face when she is in her downtime... that makes perfect sense to me. Why manufacture some dumb controversy where none exists? Sometimes I'm surprised female celebrities can even muster the courage to stop out of their houses, with all the media scrutiny on their appearance.

For the record, I think Zarine is very pretty and has a lovely figure.

Now, for some legit news...

* Read a nice profile of
Lara Dutta.

* Congratulations to JR NTR who is now married! Check out the cool photo gallery from
Southscope!

* Chi Chi's career is
floundering but he's still pushing forward.

Summing up the lessons learnt, Govinda stresses upon the importance of being objective. “If God is kind to you, you’ll think you’re right for others. But many can’t do anything good for you. It’s better you do it yourself,” he says, but is quick to add that he has no regrets. “I’ve no ill-feelings or frustrations either. I’ve corrected all my mistakes,” he says.

And he
admits some frustration with his daughter's launch.

* A new biography of
Meena Kumari is coming out - and I need a copy ASAP!

Finally, get out the toothpaste because this song promo from
Always Kabhi Kabhi is going to give you some cavities!



Aw... sooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

1 comment:

jholomorphic said...

it used to be prohibitive and difficult. it is not anymore, but the producers of regional films don't think there's any point to it. as frustrating as it is to you or i, that is borne out by reality; there's little audience for south indian film outside south india and the south indian diaspora, and they dub or remake rather than subtitle within south india.

in particular, there are sometimes prints subtitled for festivals, but even for these movies, they usually send unsubtitled prints abroad. e.g. there is a subtitled print of raavanan (it played in a festival here a few months ago), but the prints released in american theaters weren't subtitled. similarly, the tamil movies that i wrote you about that played the freer were subtitled especially for festivals (one for that particular series, in fact). some of them played in the south indian theaters here, without subtitles.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl