Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Gossip... and vacation announcement!

Sorry for the late post - I am taking a well deserved four day weekend, so depending on how much writing I feel like doing, updates may be sparse for the next few days.

Don't worry, though, because you KNOW I'll be back with a bang for the Ready ramp-up!

So, today in gossip: Ekta Kapoor is my hero, an open letter to Madhur Bhandarkar, Abhi-baby cheers on the Mumbai Indians in an unexpected place, a new promo for ZNMD, and MORE!


* Fact: Ekta Kapoor is
my hero. She has been berating Tusshar to get him to gain weight before shooting Dirty Picture! It's like, look yaar, if you want to keep getting cast in your sister's films, you have to do what she says. So gain some kilos so you play a proper South Indian star!

The next time I go to Mumbai, somebody has to hook me up with Ekta!

* Also, I may not enjoy his acting but I bet Abhishek Bachchan is
a blast to attend a party with! He wore a Mumbai Indians jersey to Shahrukh Khan's house... yes. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when Shahrukh saw that!

* Arshad Warsi is so
pragmatic and occasionally borders on disdainful... which is why he's my favorite hero!

"For me, I don't like doing sequels, I like doing different things. It's like eating the same food everyday. It's monotonous for me," he added. So will he continue doing sequels? "It's not that I'll continue doing them. For me, there is an easy demarcation. There is one kind of work, that people like to see me in and then there is work that I want to do. So I satisfy myself as well as the people. Dhamaal, Golmaal, Munna Bhai..., all these I know people like to see me in, so I'll keep doing these, as long as they make it," he said. "Films like Saher and Ishqiya, I'll keep doing those because I like them," he added.

* Anil Kapoor, Zayed Khan, and Kangana Ranaut are in
Glasgow shooting Tezz and the pictures are so nostalgic! I used to live in Glasgow and I miss it dearly.

* Amitabh is recording an
a capella track for Bbuddha... which is kind of an thing for somebody to do for a film, but okay! Maybe it will be something really cool where the Big B harmonizes with three of his alternate selves on screen! BIG B BARBERSHOP QUARTET!

* Juhi Chawla talks about
change in the industry.

"There have been plenty of changes in the industry and a lot of them are for the better. The technique and infrastructure have immensely improved; the number of women working in the industry has also increased. Earlier, it used to be just me and my mother on sets, but today we see women working as assistant directors, costume designers and what not," Juhi said in an interview.

* Rajinikanth is headed to
Singapore for further treatment.

* Sonakshi Sinha lost
25 lakhs worth of jewels from her vanity van on the set of Joker.

* Nikhil Ramsubramaniam writes
an open letter to Madhur Bhandarkar detailing everything he wants to see in Heroine:

P.R. Machinery: These days the P.R. machinery of an actor has to work overtime to ensure that the actor stays in the news and people's memory be it for the right or wrong reasons. While there is no harm in promoting one's film during release, it's the extent to which some of our actors/actresses go by planting stories about them through their P.R. machinery. The funny thing is when the media asks for a clarification, they resort to a 'No Comments' stand. An insider view of how the whole P.R. machinery operates in building the image of an actor / actress would be an eye-opener for the aam junta.

* Is Anees Bazmee going to be the
fall guy if Ready fails at the box office?

* Read a fully pretentious (and highly entertaining) interview with
Gandu director Q:

With credits rolling halfway through the film, the director himself appearing in the film with a camera - there is a suspension of belief, a jolt to the viewer to detach himself from the film and re-assess reality. Along with the content, the film has also raised eyebrows for its structure. Q, who was inspired by international directors like Mike Figgis, Lars Vontrier, Harmony Korine agrees that the film has classic, modern and postmodern narrative techniques in place, "This form has a long history. The 90s movement in Europe saw a migration of film to video and this was more of a political statement than just changing the medium. As an Indian artist I have come up with my theory of deconstruction."

Now, I have to see this film because I enjoy a hot mess. If I enjoyed cross-dressing dream-fable
Pankh and juicy snake-crazy Hisss then Gandu looks like a good bet, too! Is there a Hindi word for "gonzo?"

FINALLY! New promo for
ZNMD!

2 comments:

Sal said...

How hilarious are the pictures of Mr.Bhandarkar in the open letter post? You gotta love his "blue steel". I love Aishwarya so very much, and very few people are better suited to playing a "heroine" than she, but Madhur is a terrible director; Priyanka's performance in Fashion was completely blank, and the direction itself was incoherent.Ash seems to function best when her directors have a thorough and completely mapped out vision for her to work from, and Madhur's idea of direction seems to be "look kinda sad and bitchy and martyr-like, all at the same time". I sincerely hope she does that Rituparno Ghosh film as a palate cleanser.

J Hurtado said...

I just found this post and I must say that Gandu is very definitely NOT a hot mess. I reviewed it for Twitch last September.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl