Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thursday Gossip!

YOU GUYS! Bollywood is finally picking up steam again - I've got two more trailers for you!



Nana Patekar's
Shagird - which looks freaking AWESOME.




And
Ragini MMS, the trailer for which has the most annoying female voiceover ever.

Gossip!

Just so you don't make the same mistake as me and assume that everybody is talking about Suniel Shetty when they mention "Anna" -
Anna Hazare is on a hunger strike to protest corruption and has the fully support of Bollywood behind him.

* The report on the
Shiney Ahuja case has been released - no surprises. Based on the evidence, he raped the girl.

Clearing the air if it could possibly be consensual sex, the court observed that the victim had suffered injuries, which was supported by the medical officer in his testimony. “It is unerringly pointed out that the accused had forcible intercourse with the victim,” the court observed.

I feel sick to my stomach when I think of Shiney Ahuja films now. No more
Gangster or Bhool Bhuliya for me.

* Shahid Kapoor talks
Mausam and filmmaking:

Hollywood has mastered the art of making great films that can connect with any audience. We still need to learn that. We can work harder. Our biggest struggle is that we have an extremely varied audience. A country like the US speaks the same language, there isn't any cultural difference. India has so much cultural variety and so many languages, that it becomes difficult for us to cater to each one of them. That is why the word commercial means something that can connect to the entire nation.

WHOA! WHAT? Hollywood has mastered the art of audience segmentation... not uniting audiences. How many men went to see
Sex and the City? How many women and people over the age of 15 went to see Transformers?

And the US has PLENTY cultural differences - even if we all mostly speak English. See how well an "urban" film goes over in Kentucky and then we'll talk.

* Karan Johar is hosting a
Raj Kapoor film fest that will coincide with IIFA.

*
READY is releasing June 3rd!

* Look, can we really trust
Game producer Riteish Sidwani when he says that his rule is "go for the script?" Unless, of course, the script he saw for Game only went as far as the Interval...

* More cricket! Raghav, Sunidhi Chauhan, and Kunal Ganjwala are tapped for the
opening ceremony.

*
Sunny Deol is hosting his own stunt show and Shotgun Sinha is hosting the Bhojpuri Kaun Banega Crorepati.

* Sushmita Sen is one
class act. She talks about her current plans.

"I’m actually just pausing because I think I have to pause now. It’s been too many years and I look at all the work I’ve done, all the flops I’ve delivered and I have to reassess a little bit."

*
Agent Vinod sputters to life again.

* Was Kamal Haasan denied a
US Visa?

* Taapsee Pannu is debuting in Bollywood in
David Dhawan's next film.

*
Bollywood celebs are not invited to walk the ramps for Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week 2011.

* RGV's Mahie Gill film is based on the gruesome
Susairaj case.

* Anushka Shetty in
Mani Ratnam's next but not the lead. He cannot sign Priyanka Chopra - this is not the kind of role she would excel in. I really hope he takes somebody like Anushka Sharma or Kangana Ranaut if Mani wants a B-town actress for the lead.

* Ever diplomatic, Katrina is just
waiting for the right film to sign with Abhishek...

One more video for you... I've been introduced to Jimmy Shergill's Punjabi films and what do you know? He has a new one coming out soon!



Here a song from
Dharti!

8 comments:

Jyothi said...

Kangna Ranaut in a Mani Ratnam film? I'd rather die!

You know, i'm addicted to your blog, and i agree with almost everything you write, but this love for Kangna Ranaut it beyond me! Did you watch Tanu weds Manu? She needs to work on her diction, dialogue delivery, language AND clothes before she can be allowed to work in a film again!

S said...

Hi filmigirl. What Punjabi movies of Jimmy Shergill have you been watching? There was a romantic comedy with Kulraj Randhawa that he did a couple of years ago which was a huge hit. I wonder if you have seen it?

Filmi Girl said...

@Jyothi Thanks for the comment!! I don't know what it is about Kangana that I find so appealing. I will admit that maybe the fact that I'm not a native Hindi speaker gives me a different perspective on her dialogue delivery. :)

@S If you have any good recommendations, I will take them!

Rum said...

Speaking as a Punjabi who hates Punjabi movies, that Dharti looks pretty good. That film with Kulraj I think was Tera Mera ki Rishta, but personally I'd recommend 'Munde UK De' which was so funny!

Divya said...

Hi Filmigirl, I love your blog and enjoy your perspective on things but completely disagree with Kangana or Anoushka Sharma for Mani's next. His next film is a historical romance/political thriller based on one of the greatest Tamizh novels ever written and the role in question is that of a 10th century CE South Indian princess. Which means someone doe eyed, curvy and preferably dark skinned. So definitely not Kangana or Anoushka.Sorry if this seems like a mini rant but I am passionate about this subject and like many others have waited 15yrs to see this novel come to life on screen.

Filmi Girl said...

@divya Hi! Thanks for the comment! :) I didn't know that about the role, so thank you for filling me in. You are right that Anushka or Kangana are neither dark skinned nor curvy. Then again, Priyanka is far from curvy, too - so hopefully it won't be her.

Would you say that the ideal would be somebody like Priyamani?

Unfortunately, dark and curvy are hard to find if Mani wants a Bollywood heroine... maybe Bipasha Basu?

never-evil said...

@Rum I've seen TMKR and enjoyed it but never got around to Munde UK De. Finally might, I reckon :D

Divya said...

Thanks for the reply Filmigirl!
Priyamani is definitely a great choice. The novel has four major female roles so I hope he casts her in atleast one of them :).
I am totally with you in hoping that its not Priyanka. She is far too urban and just wrong for this part.
Bipasha is a better choice but I would prefer someone more South Indian looking. I dont know why Mani is looking at Bollywood.
I was hoping he would cast Asin or Nayanthara or some other Southie actress.Vidya Balan would work as well. At least Anoushka Shetty looks great in period costume :).

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl