Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday Gossip!

Small public service announcement - I made a Facebook page where I'll be posting odds and ends, pictures, videos, etc. So go check it out!

Okay, first of all...

HAPPY EASTER to everybody who is celebrating! One of these days I want to do a post on
filmi Christianity, which is such an interesting little look into the religion. Like, remember when Ranbir meets Jesus-ji at the end of Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani? Fascinating, right?!

Okay... time for gossip!



* I'm going to be very curious about the final box office numbers for
Dum Maaro Dum because all reports have been pretty limp so far. It's getting crushed by Dharti in the north and Prabhas's Mr. Perfect in the South. Reviews have ranged from "It's just nice to see something different" from the easier critics like Taran Adarsh to "It was a contest between which of the three male leads was the most wooden" from the harsher critics. Yet, the Bollywood media is acting like the film is a smash hit.

Now, tell me there isn't some sort of Bachchan bias at play here.

I know certain people reading out there think I just hate everything Abhishek related and while there is a large grain of truth to that, it's not that I hate him personally and want to see him fail. What drives me bonkers is that every time I buy into the hype, I get burned. I've given him so many chances and then I end up cringing my way through lazy and mediocre performances in dreck like
Game or through trying-too-hard and mediocre performances in films like Umrao Jaan and Guru.

It's an abusive-viewer relationship - I keep coming back to the Junior B in the hopes of that
Dostana level performance and instead I get Drona and Game. Well, this time, DMD, I'm waiting until DVD so I can fast forward through the worst parts. The Bollywood media is NOT going to fool me again - so, yes, I'll be watching the box office to see how it does.

* Remember these
struggling star sons, daughters, brothers, sisters?

The article neglects to mention that Faisal Khan, Aamir's brother, has some serious mental problems - possibly schizophrenia. And the article also neglects to mention Esha Deol, Uday Chopra, Zayed Khan, Neil Nitin Mukesh, Luv Sinha, Sikander Kher, Adhyayan Suman, Harman Baweja, Abhishek Kapoor, and so many others...

*
Govinda taks politics.

"Nothing is easy but politics is too difficult. Since I had come from the world of cinema and not politics I did not know much about it (politics) and by the time I learnt it I felt I didn't belong to that world. So I decided not to remain there," Govinda said.

*
Akshay Kumar's next film Rowdy Rathod is like a run-down of everything I want in a film - directed by Prabudeva, co-starring Sonakshi Sinha, and produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali.

Basically, I'm in line for tickets already.

* And
Anurag Kashyap's next has Prithviraj and Rani Mukerji. It looks like 2012 is the YEAR OF FILMI GIRL!

* Bollywood: Y U PRODUCE
SO MANY SEQUELS AND REMAKES?

Why this sudden sequel traffic jam? "Paucity of original ideas," says trade analyst Amod Mehra. "Honestly, Bollywood has been facing a brain drain for the longest time. We have nothing like 'original' left within our films. We have either been remaking regional films or stealing from foreign ones, or worse, revisiting our own past cinema." Another producer cringes as he insists it's lack of ideas that's most certainly to be blamed for this. Says he, "A bright mind like Ram Gopal Varma became so defunct that he actually had the temerity to make a Ram Gopal Varma ki Sholay. This shows how even the sharpest mind can reach its nadir when not challenged enough."

* And speaking of... guess what nobody asked for and nobody wants but is getting remade anyways?!
Golmaal. The original one.

PICTURES!

Gitanjali Awards! (OR SOMETHING!)





Yana Gupta is keeping it classy!





GURRRRRRL! Hard Kaur is looking
fi~iiiiine!



If you get a chance to see Kailash Kher live in concert - DO IT! The man is incredible!



Riya Sen is so freaking gorgeous. I don't know how it's even possible to be so pretty...

4 comments:

Carol said...

You're making me fall in love with Hard Kaur.

eliza bennet said...

"it's not that I hate him personally and want to see him fail."

You could have fooled me :) Good to
know that I was mistaken. Not that there is anyting wrong with expressing one's opinion. I think you are not insulting even when you critisise, and that is good. As an Abhi fan of course I'd like him to get praised by everyone but the world would be a boring place if everyone has the same opinion no?

And this is your blog so I don't expect objectivity.

The reaction to DMD is on the positive side and Abhi certainly is getting good reviews for his acting. I don't think this is Bachchan influence. If they had that much influence then they'd have used it in one of his other flops. He has had so many.

Filmi Girl said...

@eliza LOL!!! I know I can't fool you. :D

The thing with the DMD reviews is that he's not getting praise for his acting - it's more like relief that he's not terrible.

And Game was truly dire... maybe somebody less biased than me will tackle this issue. ;)

Michael Barnum said...

I too am now liking Hard Kaur, after seeing her in Patial House. I hope she starts getting more film roles. I think this is a type who could play many kinds of roles...plus sing the heck out the film!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl