Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Gossip!

So, last night my sister and I tried to go see Fast Five and... HOUSE FULL! All the shows - even 1am! And I have to tell you that it really warmed my heart to see so many excited people milling around, even if my sister and I couldn't get in. We ended up seeing Disney's Prom instead, which was highly enjoyable. If you like wholesome teen movies like High School Musical, definitely give Prom a try. The 10:30pm show was about half-full and approximately 100% women. We all ooo'ed over the dresses and awwww'ed when anything cute happened.

The funniest part of the evening happened when we were leaving the theater and walked into the parking lot... the
Fast Five show had released as well and we could just tell that everybody was getting into their cars and driving around like they were still in the movie!! It was hilarious! I have never heard so many tires squeal in a parking garage in my life! And one group looked like they wanted to race but mall security was tailing them so they couldn't.

My sister and I are going to try (again) to see it on Sunday...

Unfortunately, the Hindi film I want to see -
Shor - is not in the cinema here and I can't force myself to go see another Abhishek film so soon after Game, even if DMD is getting praise from people I trust, like Upodcast.

Now, gossip! 


Top story today:
MAIN KHILADI TU ANARI SEQEUL!

* OH GOD! I have to wake up on Saturday to
this nonsense?! American publication Filmjournal has no context for Indian cinema.

Indian movies—from art-house dramas to all-singing, all-dancing Bollywood musicals—may still be exotic to the average American moviegoer. But they’re inching closer to the mainstream every year; movies like the Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire and offbeat romantic comedy Marigold, which paired Ali Larter and Salman Khan, played in multiplexes alongside Hollywood action pictures.

Are you kidding me with this?
Slumdog was BRITISH and Marigold was American - why didn't they just add The Love Guru in there, too?

Thankfully the rest of the article is more reasonable, being composed almost entirely of quotes from festival organizers but I have to question a journalist's knowledge when she starts off her piece this way.

* Poor Rajinikanth is in
poor health - possibly, anchoring a major film is getting to be too much for him. The real man is much more frail than his onscreen persona...

* Bengali films are
on a roll!

In fact, it is no exaggeration that for the last year-and-a-half, Tollywood films have fared performed much better, in Bengal, than Bollywood. Kolkata audiences have homed in on a crop of offbeat films which have been hitting the screens of late. Obviously, there were directors earlier, too, who made serious Bengali cinema. But, the volume of arty or middle-of-the-road cinema has definitely grown in recent years, which seems to be having an impact on cinegoers and, in turn, gate receipts at Kolkata halls.

* Mithun's son Mimoh is now Mahakshay and
he can explain how Haunted 3D will be different from his debut.

“Technically, I’m still not part of Bollywood. That’s why I spent the last three years bettering myself. My hair is different, my hysique is new and I sport a beard.”

You heard him, folks! If you were disappointed by
Jimmy - now Mimoh has a new name AND a beard!

* Fashionista Sonam Kapoor has gotten on the
wrong side of some designers.

One:
Designer Anuj Sharma, who worked on Aisha says, "They [Anil's production crew] sourced clothes from me but no credit was given. The clothes never came back to me and I wasn't even paid."

Two:
Sonam's sister and producer Rhea says, "I don't understand why Anuj is saying all this. Yes, we sourced his clothes but they were not used and we returned them. If he feels that he was not paid, he can send us a bill of this imaginary garment and we will pay him."

Three:
Sonam told BT, "Anuj's clothes weren't even used. He is making it all up."

Where is the truth? Somewhere in between?

* The makers of
Pyaar Ka Punchnama have asked Remo D'Souza to choreograph a song for them because they were so impressed with "Char Baj Gaye" from F.A.L.T.U.. No word on if Hard Kaur is doing the song, too...

* Karan Johar
doubles down on security after set pictures of Agneepath are leaked.

* Anees Bazmee takes
responsibility for his flops.

* Lara Dutta talks about working on her first
home production.

"I was waiting for the pressure of delivering. It`s not that I was trying to hide away from that. In the industry, you get very little chance, very few scripts where an actress could do something or take the burden of the film and end up being the heroes` wife, girlfriend or love interest."

As much as I think Lara Dutta is not a great actress, I have tremendous respect for the fact that she decided to start producing. If the roles she wants aren't being offered to her, she's smart to just make the films herself! You go, girl!

* Akshay Kumar has bought the remake rights for
KO!

Picture time!

Sonakshi Sinha is on the cover of
Filmfare's new Hindi version!



Could she be any cuter?!

1 comment:

Michael Barnum said...

I did not catch JIMMY, but I will be seeing HAUNTED 3-D, if for no other reason then his chest hair.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl