Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday Gossip!

Good morning, all! I hope everyone had a blessed Easter weekend!

Small public service announcement - I made a Facebook page where I'll be posting odds and ends, pictures, videos, etc. So go check it out!

Monday morning gossip round-up!


 * Bollywood is getting serious about
conquering non-traditional markets - it seems odd to focus on breaking into South Korea and Spain at a time when Bollywood is having a hard time generating hits in TRADITIONAL markets... like India.

Film production houses like UTV and Reliance Big Pictures are looking at Italy, Spain, Taiwan, China, South Korea and France for forthcoming releases. Last year, UTV released Rajneeti in Belgium, Luxemburg and the Netherlands. “The US and the UK (markets) continue to exist. It is the expansion of business opportunities and audience interest that’s fuelling the opening of new markets. Every market has its own genre. As European countries prefer romance, Jodha Akbar did exceedingly well there on television, while the Korean market loves drama,” said Amrita Pandey, senior vice-president for international distribution and syndication, UTV.

* Guess how badly do I want to see a Nigerian-Punjabi
cross-cultural film?

Drawing a connection between his life and the film's theme, he said: "I always wanted to be a filmmaker. I wanted to do something that is both creative and constructive. Therefore, after completing a course at a film academy in Nigeria, I decided to go out to hone my skills in filmmaking. I wanted to go to the US or the UK but did not get the visa. On the suggestion of a friend, I applied in India," said [Chukwuma] Osakwe.

(Hint: the answer is 'a lot.')

*
Kalki Koechlin and Anurag Kashyap are going to be married - possibly April 30th.

* We may be seeing Preity Zinta make a return to
the big screen.

* Katrina is doing a
tapori number for Mere Brother Ki Dulhan! The lovely lady has also been confirmed to play opposite Salman Khan in Kabir Khan's next film. I thought he did a wonderful job with Kat in New York, so I'm looking forward to this.

* Mani Ratnam can explain it however he wants but Priyanka Chopra is the absolute
wrong choice for Ponniyin Selvan.

Not only is her acting way too stylized but as
commenter Divya pointed out to me a few weeks ago:

His next film is a historical romance/political thriller based on one of the greatest Tamizh novels ever written and the role in question is that of a 10th century CE South Indian princess. Which means someone doe eyed, curvy and preferably dark skinned.

In other words, not Priyanka Chopra. I understand the desire to cast big stars - I do. Casting a big star means that the film gets picked up for distribution before it is even made but then if the star can't handle the role... and you've already committed to having them in the film because you've already sold the film based on their name... well, let's just hope Mani is doing a Tamil version where Priyamani or somebody plays Piggy's role, so have the option to watch that instead.

Finally, let's all say a fond farewell to
Passion For Cinema, who is shutting down their website.

And a song from
Love Ka The End that made me all ragey.



Do you know what's not okay? Making jokes about how much a fat girl loves hamburgers. That is not acceptable and is making me re-think my desire to see this film.

One of the things I loved about
F.A.L.T.U. was that it was so inclusive and community-minded. Every comedy stereotype character was treated like a person in F.A.L.T.U. even if there were jokes made... apparently, Y-Films isn't going to offer "comedy" Sadars and "comedy" overweight girls and "comedy" fill-in-the-blank stereotypes the same consideration and that is a real shame.

2 comments:

Divya said...

Hi Filmigirl,
The more I hear about Mani Rathnam's next movie the more I am wishing that it never gets made. Making it in multiple languages (and with Priyanka Chopra :) ) will be a complete disaster. I wish ManiRathnam would do what Rajeev Menon did with Kandukondain kandukondain where he said that the movie was too rooted in tamil culture and dubbing it in other languages would simply not be right. However I am going to remain optimistic and take these reports with a pinch of salt since Mani is known to be notoriously tight lipped about his movies. Hopefully the rumours are just that .... rumours :(

Carol said...

"The more I hear about Mani Rathnam's next movie the more I am wishing that it never gets made"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha!

Well, since it seems now is the wish day...I wished Mani Ratnam would do another Tamil (and only Tamil!) movie with Madhavan :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl