Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday Gossip!

Helloooooo lovely people!

Just a note, I did see
Thank You yesterday (and it was hilarious!) but I didn't have time to write my review. Look for that sometime later today.

Remember my old nemesis Rachel Saltz? Well, she is back with a really unhelpful review of
Thank You.


First, pick a clean Western city (be gone, heat and dust of India!) and shoot it to emphasize its sleek high-rises, huge homes and pretty views. Here Vancouver does the honors. Next, sign up some stars: Thank You not only has Akshay Kumar (with whom Mr. Bazmee had a megahit in Singh Is Kinng) but also (partial roster) Bobby Deol, Irrfan Khan and Sonam Kapoor. Now dress them in expensive-looking clothes.

This is what the whole review is like - she seems to be personally offended that the Indian people in
Thank You aren't wearing dirty dhotis and discussing water policy in the gaon. Once has to question her emphasis on "expensive-looking" clothes and "clean" Western city? What should movie stars be wearing? Dirty rags? The whole point of a film like Thank You is that it's escapist - people can do a little imaginary travel and enjoy gawking at the pretty clothes.

More than most, this review is steeped in stealth racism along with her usual dose of condescension.

UGH! I HATE RACHEL SALTZ SO MUCH!

Now, gossip!

* Another entry in the Behind the Scenes of Bollywood series -
make up artists! I know I posted the other links during daily gossip but I'll try to gather them all in one place. It's an interesting series!

Make-up artists make stars look the way they do on screen. But they rue that not only does recognition elude but they also face discrimination and these days they have to compete with foreign workers who get paid much more.
‘It’s a sad situation that make-up artists are not given due respect. We also work for 16-18 hours a day, away from family, in extreme cold and extreme heat,’ make-up artist Ojas Rajani told IANS.


(Hrithik's make up in
Agneepath will not include kohl.)

* Along those same lines, read about a Malaysian stunt man who
tried his hand in Bollywood.

According to Chan, he would always try to use his members if possible and would only need local workers when they were short of hands, such as pulling the string.

“Wire stunt does not involve only pulling but loosing as well. When I say pull, those behind the scene have to pull, whereas when I say loose, they have to loose it slowly. However, there was once when I say loose, local workers actually let go their hands and it almost caused a tragedy. The process was really dangerous.” Chan said.


* Sonam Kapoor's hospital stays
cause delays on Mausam. I'm going to talk about this in my review but I really think Sonam needs a nutritionist - a real one not one that touts 500 calories a day - to get her help back on track. There were two-three scenes in Thank You that hinged on trying to get her to eat. That cannot be a coincidence.

* Ride the
Yash Chopra train in Switzerland.

* Saif Ali Khan doesn't mind being a
second choice.

* Zeenat Aman is unimpressed with "Mit Jaaye Gham" but
loves Laila!

“I couldn’t sit through the song 'Dum maaro dum'. I am disappointed with it,” says Zeenat, “I didn’t like it. I am sure Deepika (Padukone) is a fabulous dancer and a performer, but I would like to reserve my comments on how the song was done,” she adds.

*
Bollywood Museum? Yes, please!

* Check out a new still of Katrina and Imran in
Mere Brother Ki Dulhan!

* Salman Khan and
Ready are caught in the middle of T-Series battle with an unnamed 'music channel' that is also alleged to have run a negative campaign against Patiala House.



Vidya Balan as a showstopper for Sabyasachi! (photo credit: Viral Bhayani)



Yana Gupta and Zeenat Aman promoting
Chalo Dilli!

11 comments:

maxqnz said...

Anyone who trashes sleazy misogynist trash like Thank You will get a thank you from me, so thanks for pointing me to your nemesis' review. :)

Filmi Girl said...

@maxqnz But doesn't even mention the gender politics or anything!!! Her entire concern is with how "clean" and "expensive" everything is... so, technically she is not trashing what you disliked about Thank You.

maxqnz said...

Yes, I thought about that - "my enemy's enemy is my friend" :)

Filmi Girl said...

@maxqnz I'm sure you won't believe me but Thank You wasn't misogynist - as a woman, I was a lot more offended by "all I need is a man" junk like I Hate Luv Storys and Break Ke Baad.

maxqnz said...

You're right. I won't believe you, partly because too many women have already vociferously disagreed with you, and partly because I've already made the tragic mistake of sitting through several of the song picturisations. They were repellent to me, without exception. I mean, I thought Sinnggh issss kinngggg or whatever that thing was called was an awful pile of merde, but just moronic and feeble, not morally and ethically repugnant the way Akki's 5-minute yacht-based grabass sessions passed off as songs were. I know I'd regret seeing this one.
Chacun a son gout, but thanks also for further confirmation of 2 others to avoid. IHLS and BkB were already low on my watchlist, now they're further down still.

Bluemay said...

I think you're reading too much into Saltz's review of Thank You. She's simply pointing out the obvious things that even Indian reviewers point out. She'll probably say the same thing when Don 2 comes out (shot everywhere but in India!).

Article on make-up artists is interesting. Thanks for the link.

maxqnz said...

Filmi Girl, a serious question re your "stealth racism" comment on the Saltz review. Don't you think the practice of reducing goris to nothing more than nearly naked decorations in tacky dance numbers is also somewhat racist? I say "dance" reluctantly, because I didn't see much actual dancing from any of them in the songs from Thank You I watched.What makes Bazmee's perpetuating the stereotype of the whorey gori more acceptable than Saltz's perpetuating the "noble (if dirty and downtrodden) savage", as you parse her review?

Filmi Girl said...

@maxqnz But you didn't see the film! The 'whorey gori' isn't really on display. I forget the title of the song but there is one where really sweet one where Akshay cheers up this adorable plump blond... and not all the dancers were white. Honestly, I think white, American Saltz being like, "Why are the Indians so clean and wealthy?" in her review is MUCH more insulting than the songs featuring white dancers. I think they were mostly used to add 'exotic' flavor - I didn't mention it but right after the dance number that is probably your least favorite (with Bobby and Irrfan), the men leave the club and the ladies they are with are desi.

maxqnz said...

"The 'whorey gori' isn't really on display."

There were plenty of them in at least one song, on a boat, and Akshay's hands all over them, as I recall it from a link on Sonam's FB page. I agree that her POV sounds ugly, but speaking as someone who enjoyed "No Entry" (as did my wife), the few songs I've seen of this are evidence that he's gone beyond a point I can accept. Except the Vidya song, that makes me hope they'll pair up in a film.

Filmi Girl said...

@maxqnz Akshay always gets grabby with his dancers, though. It's not unique to Thank You. Maybe the difference for me is that the Thank You girls look like they are having fun - which isn't "whorey gori" territory in my book.

Maybe some white girls would enjoy partying with Akshay - I would! I'm not unsympathetic to your point of view but I really think that you are misjudging the tone of the film. I know I cut Bollywood slack on race issues but Thank You is really a lot more sensitive on that front than recent films like Housefull (the black woman and the baby used as a joke) or Kambakht Ishq (now that REALLY had a slutty white women problem.)

There may be white dancers in "Razia" but the scene immediately after is with Bobby and his girlfriend - an Indian woman. There was only one scene that treated white women as props where they weren't actively participating in having a good time... and it wasn't in any of the songs. Those smiles while the girls were dancing and the lack of "perfect" bikini bodies really signals the difference between real girls having fun and robo-goris.

We may have to agree to disagree on this - I'll be curious to see what Ness thinks.

maxqnz said...

Oh absolutely, this is not an attempt at converting anyone to my POV, just explaining my aversion to this film - visceral and deepseated, everything about it repels me. That includes one fundamental difference between it and "No Entry", IIRC - in this film I'm led to believe the men actually ARE having affairs, rather than merely fantasising about having them.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl