Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday Gossip!

Good morning, Friday!

Pssst... Don't forget to "like" me on Facebook!

Let's see what is in store for us today!


* This
Dum Maaro Dum review confirms my worst fears about the movie - gritty story undercut by Rohan Sippy trying to make Abhi-baby look "cool." It's exactly the same issue Neil Nitin Mukesh had in New York. Producers can't have their cake and eat it, too. Either films are telling a serious story or they can be "cool" and slick. Pick between playing up the Dhoomgiri (can I make that a word?) or making a genuine thriller.

Some visual gimmicks stand out sorely, and the sense that Sippy and his technicians are trying too hard to be slick is obvious in many frames. From dialogues to post-production flourishes, Dum Maaro Dum is dripping cool, which is conflicting at times because of the story’s innate grittiness.

And
this review highlights another problem.

What messes it all up is the cast. While we don’t expect much from the Bachchan scion, expectations were high from the other two male leads. Babbar has been lauded for his last two performances (Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na & Dhobi Ghat) and Dagubatti is a southern heart-throb (only a film old, but he’s promising, I was told). The male leads end up competing to deliver a terrible performance. I find it difficult to say whether Babbar’s flat, bland portrayal of an innocent boy is more cringe-worthy than stone-faced Dagubatti’s wannabe tough but softie at heart Joki. Basu hasn’t been the most emotive actress in Bollywood, and she lives up to the reputation. Among the supporting actors, Namdeo is particularly enjoyable as a sidekick to Kamath. Pancholi’s portrayal of the terrorising Goan drug mafia king-pin ends up looking like a tharkee, comical businessman who happens to have power by fluke.

*
The Hindu analyzed the Wikileaks cables for Bollywood tidbits.

Two detailed cables sent on February 11, 2010 (248355 and 248356: unclassified) from the U.S. Consulate in Mumbai, accessed by The Hindu through WikiLeaks, documented the unsustainable levels of compensation that are routinely paid to Bollywood stars, briefly discussed the underworld connections involved, outlined the emerging global aspirations of Indian film companies and analysed the failure of some Hollywood-Bollywood joint productions. The cables also spotlighted how the Indian film world was divided on what Hollywood can bring to their table.

*
Anurag Kashyap talks about Shaitan.

"Bijoy used to come home to meet Kalki to discuss her role and at that time it was meant to have Arshad Warsi and some more people. It was a far bigger project and somebody else was producing it. But I realised that the film is not moving for almost two years. So I told Bijoy 'if things are not working out, let me know, I'll produce it, it's just that I can't do it on a big budget'. So it started with that and one day he came and said I would like you to produce my film."

* Hrithik Roshan practices his
dancing in his sleep.

* The more I hear about
Love Ka The End the more I want to see it.

Unlike most Bollywood newcomers, who make their big-screen debuts in syrupy romantic roles, Shah plays an egomaniac who in one scene is drugged, tricked into dressing in drag and gyrates to a Hindi-language song.

* Govinda takes credit for
Sonakshi Sinha.

* Sanjay Leela Bhansali wants to work with
Madhuri Dixit again.

*
Sonam's Freaky Friday is on hold.

* Jiah Khan clears up some
rumors.

* Dev Patel needs
Indian accent lessons.

And for no other reason than because T-Series has uploaded them and I need an Arshad Warsi fix...
HUM TUM AUR GHOST!

5 comments:

maxqnz said...

AAARGH, NOOOO!! Tell that hideous fiend SLB to leave Madz alone. His films are awful, and in the case of Black morally and ethically repugnant, and I don't want Madz tainted by him again, even if Dola Re was the only decent thing about that waste of celluloid that was Devdas.

eliza bennet said...

Abhi is getting good reviews about his performance :) YAY

Filmi Girl said...

@eliza I know I'm biased but to me it reads like reviewers are mostly just relieved he's not terrible. :)))

I think this will be one of those films where if you like Abhi already, you will enjoy it but if you don't, it won't change your mind.

Shantanu said...

Wow! I am surprised you missed this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwI-PsOzcBI

dagnyfan said...

I found the Wikileaks article quite interesting (including the comments made by readers).

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl