Saturday, April 9, 2011

1000 POSTS! (Saturday Gossip!)

Good morning, everybody! Despite the gray weather, I'm in an excellent mood this morning - this marks 1000 posts of my blog plus the US Government averted a budget shutdown and Washington, DC will not become a depressing trashpit.

Now... gossip!



* Bollywood supports
Anna Hazare - except Rahul Bose.

“I am a little confused about the complexion of the campaign. Who are the people who are aligning with it and who are not? I am not a great fan of middle-class radicalism. Of what little I know of the Lokpal and Janpal Bills, neither, in my opinion, are close to being suitable. While one doesn't give enough power to the people, the other goes to the extreme. Neither of them is a balanced mirror to democracy. I would like to know Anna Hazare better before jumping into the campaign in a knee-jerk reaction.”

Rahul also speaks up on
I Am and playing gay:

When asked why he would take on such a bold role, he says, “I don’t have parents to worry about what they will think. I don’t care about my image and I never had a girlfriend to worry about what girls would think! So I am the perfect choice to play a gay.”

* Now a two-fer of ignorant American journalists writing about things they don't understand.

From the
Los Angeles Daily News, a piece on Bollywood written by somebody who could barely be bothered to check the wikipedia entry on Bollywood.

[3 Idiots] starring Aamir Khan - one of the two reigning superstars of the glitzy, Hindi language Bollywood cinema - did better at Fallbrook than such English-speaking hits as The Ghost Writer, City Island and Crazy Heart.

My Name Is Khan -- which starred the other current King of Bollywood, Shah Rukh Khan (no relation to Aamir) -- was Fallbrook's fourth-highest grossing film of 2010.

That said, the audiences for first-run Indian movies come almost exclusively from South Asian communities. Despite the popularity of
Slumdog Millionaire - the director and lead actor of which were British - Bollywood's melodramatic, break-for-a-dance-sequence-every-15-minutes and stage-a-lavish-wedding conventions have yet to catch on with Western filmgoers the way, say, that Hong Kong action film style did around 15 years ago.



The piece does acknowledge Southern cinema a bit later but still... what a poorly-researched and thought out article.
Slumdog Millionaire is a British film, so what does it have to do with people liking Bollywood? And why drag out all the cliches that no longer hold true anymore. One of the people quoted mentions a "Wedding Planner," which I think is the English title of Band Baaja Baarat as a film where there is a lot of dancing, but there was only REALLY three dances and no fantasy-teleportation romance songs.

And how do you ignore the third point of the THREE KHAN trifecta?

How does junk like that get published!? It annoys me that lazy journalists all feel the need to write a bunch of junk without a) at least checking to see what other people have written on the topic or b) finding out about it themselves instead of just pasting a bunch of quotes from random sources around some info gleaned from wikipedia and the promotional material of the film festival that the article is supposed to be promoting.

This piece from CNN on
Bollywood playback singers has a sour tone.

Still, much of the glory and money goes to the beauties and hunks on screen. That begs the question: do these behind-the-scenes singers ever get jealous of their lip-synching counterparts.

"No, never," Bhosle said, recalling that a "very long time ago some producer asked me can you work in the film? I said no. He said, why? So I said I see my face every morning, so I will not!"

Bhosle thought she just wasn't pretty enough and has stuck to singing behind the scenes.


Um... that is NOT what she said. And I think any Bollywood fan could make a pretty could case for the fame and glory of playback singers lasting much, much longer than some mayfly heroines. I mean, who is it that we're still talking about today? Who is still a vital part of the industry? Asha Bhosle. How many 70-something heroines are still an active part of the Bollywood conversation?

The piece also goes on to hint that, someday, the actors will be singing their own songs because that is what the Western cultural mindset assumes is the "correct" nature of filmed music. But let's be real, it's nice to hear Hrithik or Abhi once in a while but would you really want an entire film of them singing? Or of Himesh acting?

(Also, do NOT read the comments section - the racist and ignorant things being said will make your head hurt.)

* Kangana and Akshay are going to be doing a
salsa number in a juicy news bit that came directly from my subconscious.

* Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper attends the
Thank You premiere.

* The Indonesian lipsyncing cop is
recording a single!

* Priyanka Chopra is not going to be in
Dostana 2 even though she has been saying she will be.

* Prateik Babbar has been cast as
the Flying Singh.

* Read a
hilarious by-the-numbers on Game:

+ 5 to the pretty face of Sarah Jane Dias We feel bad pointing out that an exotic dancer without a posterior is no exotic dancer. However, she was nice to look at during her Monte Carlo sweater ad style romance with Abhishek Bachchan.

And +10 for that description of the picturization because I was laughing so hard to myself at the bland, yuppie-fied daydreams of Neil Mennon in which everybody wears khaki and his abode is outfitted by Sharper Image.

THANK YOU premiere! Not a glimpse of Sonam to be found but...



AKSHAY!



ANNA!



IRRFAN!



BOBBY!

This is like my and Ness's dream cast right here... my favorite hot uncles and AKSHAY!



The boys with director Anees Bazmee

3 comments:

Shell said...

1000 posts! Yowzers, you are a one woman gossip train full speed ahead! Congrats. I will covet my 188 posts and hang my head in shame!

Akshay and Kangs in a salsa number! THAT is something I would stand in line to see.

Also, LMAO at that article in the Calgary Herald (practically my home down, btw). I LOVE that Harper has been totally overshadowed by Akki!

For the record, most of the fans were screaming for Kumar, although Harper was asked for his autograph by at least one person.

ha ha haaaa.... my sides are hurting from laughing so hard.

maxqnz said...

I am SO disappointed in Irrfan's appearing in this sleazy, tasteless misogynist bakvaas, and if Harper had any brains, he'd realise that there's no reflected glory to be had from being connected with a film that not only demeans women but specifically Canadian goris too.

Ness said...

Hahah dream cast (minus Suniel...not a big fan) but sigh...the film doesn't sound too wonderful. Sadly. All those guys are capable of AWESOME. And I don't think Thank You is remotely that (but naturally will reserve judgement till I see it!)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl