Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuesday Gossip!

I almost wrote "Monday" but I caught myself... yes, it's Tuesday! And it's March! When I was a kid, I always thought grown-ups were exaggerating when they were talking about how fast time goes. When you are young, it seems an eternity from one week to the next. Now, I'm wondering where January and February went... off in a pile of movie reviews and diatribes, I suppose.

Let's say a fond farewell to the magnificent Jane Russell, who passed away yesterday. I'll always remember her fondly in
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. What a lady!




Now! I hope nobody was offended by my rant yesterday. It was just something that had been bothering me. Just like there is that pressure for actresses to wear bikinis, I think there is also this pressure for them to be sexy and that's really too bad. Bollywood seems to have imported the Hollywood straight-jacket of attractiveness and it's a poor fit for real life women. Now we have Deepika doing a song she's uncomfortable with and Sameera Reddy ending up in the hospital suspiciously soon after losing "oodles" of weight.

* And, case in point, I opened up my Internet browser this morning and saw
this!

Here is a National Award winning actress - talented, very attractive - and now she is being put on a crash diet to fit some arbitrary standard of bikini-wearability.

Things have been sorted out now and she may end up wearing the bikini eventually."David Dhawan and Kangna Ranaut remained unavailable for comment.

But rumour has it that Kangna's physical trainer, who has put her on a crash diet, is traveling with her now. No more excuses, Kangna.


It's things like this that make me want to go back to bed and never come out. Powerful older men forcing a young woman to crash diet so she can have the "perfect" body to wear a bikini onscreen. It's disgusting and gross and in now way encourages sexiness. It encourages young women to have eating disorders and body image issues.

I would be perfectly content to never hear the word BIKINI uttered ever again in Bollywood.

Stay strong, Kangana! If you send me your address, I'll secretly ship you some Power Bars and snacks to get you through it.

(Maybe she's not just being
a bitch, maybe she's hungry. I know when I haven't eaten, I am apt to be less than friendly to people. There was a running joke in my band that when I started to snap at people, it was time to have a snack break.)

Thankfully, she's already signed another film with
Tanu Weds Manu director Anaand Rai, who seems like a much better director for her than David Dhawan.

* Meanwhile, the much more sane Tamil industry is taking on Bollywood item girl
Kainaat Arora for Ajith's Mankatha.



Here she is in
Khatta Meetha! Smart move going to South films, girl - they know how to appreciate a healthy figure!

* On the gender-flip side, Abhishek Bachchan is going to
take his shirt off in Dhoom 3... if Jaya says it's okay.

And Bobby Deol has refused to do some
raunchy dance moves in Thank You.

* Music director Monty Sharma may be moving
into directing.

*
Lara Dutta's new husband is producing Lara Dutta's new film.

* Om Puri's
West is West has done well at the box office.

* VVC's
Broken Horses is back in action.

* Mahesh Babu is working with
Mani Ratnam.

* NTR Jr is getting a new nickname with
Shakti - he's going to be the A1 Star!

3 comments:

Ness said...

I love that story about Bobby. Scho schweeeeet!

Bombay Talkies said...

Apropos of nothing, I met Mahesh Bhupathi a couple of years ago when I worked at a tournament in DC and he's SO dreamy and sweet as all get out. Some of us staff were complaining that the tournament director had nixed our post-match playing time (turning off the lights instead of letting us use the courts for a bit at night) and he not only got us our playing time back but he also hit the courts with me for an hour.

He also taught me how to curse in Tamil, haha.

Filmi Girl said...

@ness :))))) We'll probably be getting a lot of Bobby stories what with Thank You coming out.

@bombay talkies Hee hee! I enjoy anecdotes, always feel free to post them. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl