Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Gossip!

I woke up to a winter wonderland this morning. The cherry blossom trees are covered in a thin layer of snow... March is an odd month. Yesterday I was wandering around town without a coat on and today I'll have to dig out my boots if I want to go anywhere.

It's a good thing I have so much reading to do at home!

Two recommendations for you, if you are going to be spending time at home reading, too:

Ness's
write-ups for Deol Dhamka month are simply fantastic. She has gone out of her way to dig out and view films from Dharmendra, Sunny, Bobby, and Esha. I highly recommend going and check them out.


And my new twitter buddy @moviesbybowes has a
movie blog and is just discovering films like Jaan-e-Mann, which is the review I linked to. If you want to read fresh takes on some great films, go check him out, too.



The best thing I have for you today: RANI MUKERJI ON THE COVER OF FILMFARE!!

And now gossip!

* TOP STORY!!!!
Hrithik Roshan has been cast in Vishal Bhardwaj's Hamlet adapatation!!!!!

Should I throw in more exclamation points? I'm excited for this.

* The FICCI conference has been happening but the biggest story that's been reported is the Hugh Jackman dancing with SRK on stage. Read an nice
take down of the event.

I understand the value of conferences. Networking, deal making or just exchanging business cards is a big part of any conference – whether it represents the entertainment industry, insurance or medical professions. That was the good, especially for a visitor like me who observes India and its entertainment industry sitting in New York City. Each evening I would head back to my hotel room with an assortment of colorfully designed business cards in my pockets and wallet — some valuable and the others forgettable.

Yet if I had heard one more person say on a panel that content was the king and that is what ails India’s entertainment industry, I might have screamed at the top of lungs and said “OK enough, I get it! But what are we doing to fix the situation?”


* Read a thoughtful interview with our the late, great
Bob Christo.

"Don’t go thinking that I regret playing the bad guy, though. I didn’t mind going to any length to make people believe that a puny hero had me at his mercy.” As if on cue, Christo raised his voice to his menacing best to recite the dialogue, “Yeh tabela nahin sheron ka pinjara hai!” from Qurbani.

* And Akshay talks about working with
Suniel Shetty, Bobby Deol, and Irrfan Khan.

Professionally, however, since the two are working after a gap of five years, did they need some time to adjust or did they hit it off immediately? “With me and Bobby there is no sense of time,” says Akshay, “We can hang out constantly and barely know that we are shooting. He is the most laid-back, chilled-out and easy-going actor in Bollywood. So we just chatted and ate sushi together all day every day. It is a ‘Dosti Forever’ for sure.”

* I'm really liking what I hear (and see) from
Rana Daggubati.

Ask Rana about having an unconventional launch in both Telugu and Hindi and he guffaws, “I think every director who wants to move away from his regular genre ends up calling me. Shekhar moved from family dramas to political drama with me. Rohan has never explored the drug-mafia nexus before DMD. Jagan (Puri Jagganath) is doing something different in Nenu Naa Rakshashi. And Selva Raghavan, unlike his earlier movies, is doing a hard hitting action film in my Telugu-Tamil bilingual,” he explains.

* Here is an interesting little bit on
Ranveer Singh.

According to the sources, Ranveer’s cool dude attitude and juvenile behavior is aggravating the Bollywood stars. His immature activities with the Bollywood actresses like Kareena Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra has irked them.

And then the article makes him look like a fool. No sane person would act like they were describing so either he's a) drunk or high or b) somebody's secretary is passing on false information to make Ranveer look bad. Now, who could it be?

* Ranbir Kapoor is
tired of the link up rumors and is setting the record straight.

I'm on your side, Ranbir. I HATE LINK UP RUMORS! Nobody believes them and they clutter up film news. The only people who should be that invested in who Ranbir Kapoor is dating are Ranbir (and his parents) and his girlfriend (and her parents.)

According to the friend, the last straw was Ranbir's link-up with Anushka. After this rumour broke out, Ranbir's father Rishi Kapoor finally asked his son to do something about the endless gossip.

Laughed the friend, "Isn't she seeing Ranveer Singh? Why would Ranbir cosy up to someone else's girl? It was reported that he was with Anushka in the backseat of their car. Wrong! Ranbir was in the front seat with his friend Ayan. Anushka was on the backseat with Ranveer Singh. They all drove to the Olive for a meal where they were joined by Shahid Kapoor."


* Gorgeous Sophie Chaudhary is going to shake it in an item number
down South!

* Did Salman Khan taunt Abhinav Kashyap all through the making of
Dabangg.

5 comments:

redsarah said...

I am also "multiple explainations marks" level of excitement about Hrithik in a Hamlet adaptation. I just wish they'd stop killing him in his films, though. Any other hero if the story asks for it, yes, but please let Hrithik live happily ever after ....

Bombay Talkies said...

Dear god, Rani looks AMAZING on that cover. Too beautiful.

And yep, definitely can't wait for VB's Hamlet. Should round out the trilogy pretty nicely--Maqbool and Omkara were AMAZING. Hrithik's going to be fantastic in this.

honeycombveils said...

My boy Hrithik as the Danish prince? Swordfighting? Acting all moody and broody, tears flowing and nostrils flaring? Perhaps growing his hair and beard again..? *faints*

This is too much for a Sunday afternoon...

Ness said...

Duuude thanks for the shout out :)

SQUEEEE! RANI! faaaaar out she's a fox. And Hrithik as Hamlet? Colour me intrigued. I saw Jude Law play Hamlet in London a couple of years ago and it made me appreciate Jude (never loved him before), my love for Hrithik's been fading of late. Hamlet could revive it. Fo' shizz.

eliza bennet said...

"Hrithik Roshan has been cast in Vishal Bhardwaj's Hamlet adapatation!!!!!"

It is not a suprise that I'm not very happy about this. I do like Bhardwaj and trust him but Hrithik as Hamlet?? He is just about the hardest character to portray among Shakespeare's characters and while I do think it will be a wonderful adaptation I don't think Hrithik is a good choice. Why not Prateik, Ranveer or even Ranbir (at least he can act).

And being the Abhi fan that I'm, I wouldn't be happy if he chose Abhishek for the role either... Hamlet should be someone who can act yaar!

I propose Saif as the evil uncle, Madhuri as the mom and Anushka as Ophelia - SRK could be Ophelia's dad and Ajay Devgan could be her brother.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl