Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Top 5 Reasons I’m looking forward to Patiala House

Top 5 Reasons I’m looking forward to Patiala House - in no particular order.

Looking at the schedule for 2011, I was faced with an onslaught of cynical romantic comedies and cooler-than-thou heist movies starring the cream of Bollywood’s B and C-list. One film stood out for me like a small earnest oasis in a sea of flashy and overly-hyped films -
Patiala House, a modest-looking film following the story of a Sikh family in Southall. Here is why I cannot wait:



1. I love when Akshay Kumar plays the underdog!

More than I love Akshay’s
khiladi act, I love his underdog persona. There is nothing more satisfying that watching Akki get beat down, only to come back in triumph - more moral and with more heart than the other guys. I know his previous outing with Nikhil Advani, Chandni Chowk to China, flopped at the box office but I really liked Akshay’s performance in it and if Nikhil can get a similar level of pathos out of him in Patiala House, then I will be one happy girl.

While I also loved the badass persona
Tees Maar Khan, I love the underdog even more.



2. Rishi Kapoor and Dimple Kapadia don’t waste their time!

When you have been following Bollywood gossip as long as I have, you learn to read between the lines - and here it is: Rishi Kapoor doesn’t waste his time. Unlike some actors who will sign anything, for Rishi to take on a role in a film like this, it has to be good. He’s not just dropping by for a day’s work to do somebody a favor. Think about his recent plum roles in top-notch films like
Love Aaj Kal or Luck By Chance. I mean, the man just won the critic’s choice award for Do Dooni Char! Rishi Kapoor isn’t signing films for his health - he is working on projects he believes in.

And he’s making publicity appearances with the
Patiala House team, which is also a good sign.

The same goes for Dimple Kapadia, whose one film of 2010 just happened to be the year’s biggest hit -
Dabangg. She has a good eye for scripts.



3. Anushka Sharma is on fire after
Band Baaja Baaraat!

With the release of single film, Anushka Sharma went from, “Oh, yes, that girl from
Rab Ne” to one of the hottest commodities around. And she did it by, get this, putting in a brilliant performance - there was no bikini body transformation, no break-up/make-up in the gossip columns, and no catty chatter about her competition. Anushka Sharma went with her gut and picked a good script and it paid off. She is the girl next door.

I am expecting we see the same ‘everygirl’ magic at work in
Patiala House.



4. My girl Hard Kaur is going to rock it!

She just is. Nobody is going to argue with me on that one. When you put the butchest lady in Bollywood in a film,
obviously I'm going to be in the audience.

(Plus, I’m dying to see her in a
salwaar suit and braids. I’m sure she’s adorable!)



5. It's a family affair!

Here is the heart of the matter - the real reason I cannot wait to see
Patiala House. I love family films and the one thing I’ve been missing in recent years in Bollywood is the strong family bond. Fluffy will-they/won’t-they romance is not enough to base an entire film on - at least not a film that I want to see. For so many of us, family ties are much stronger and more important than any romance that flits into our lives. It’s so refreshing to see a film built on the family bond, instead of treating it as an afterthought to a romance.

I'm not Punjabi - I'm not even Indian - but that doesn't mean that I can't love a warm family film. And I hope Patiala House is just that!

6 comments:

Rahul said...

Personally i think Akshay Kumar is wayyyy too over-rated..

The min he tries to do something diff; its either HIT/MISS.. Namaste London worked lets c how this one turns out.

Farhana said...

Akshay Kumar is way too old to be playing whatever role this is.

God, we need new actors in Bollywood.

Bombay Talkies said...

I'm looking forward to this for the same reasons you are (minus Hard Kaur, who I'm sort of 'meh' about). I love Akshay, love Anushka, love Rishi, and love love love Southall. The last time I was in London I spent most of my time there--just eating and people watching and really annoying my friends, who wanted to go see "real London things" rather than pretend we were extras in BILB. ;)

Ness said...

Yep, heartily agree with everything you say in this post 100%!

CANNOT WAIT! hope this is a success for Akki :)

Amaluu said...

My Top 5 Reasons I am looking forward to Patiala House:

1. RISHI KAPOOR
2. RISHI KAPOOR
3. RISHI KAPOOR
4. RISHI KAPOOR
5. RISHI KAPOOR

If I had a 6th reason, it would be Anushka. :-)

maxqnz said...

I'm looking forward to this one too, especially for Rishi after Luck By Chance and Delhi-6. The Akshay/Anushka joDi seems promising in the trailers and the only quibble I have is age-related - a fast bowler DEBUTING at international level at the geriatric age of 34? Bakvaas!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl