Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday Gossip



Let's start the day off with the
Dum Maro Dum trailer - I almost want to see this JUST BECAUSE Dev Anand hates the idea of it so much.

* The reviews are pouring in for
7 Khoon Maaf, which I will not be seeing because a) I dislike Priyanka Chopra's acting when she is not playing an interstellar diva of some sort and b) I have a feeling I would agree with this review:

But eventually the film becomes such a slog that when interval arrives with the warning that there are four more husbands to go, it almost feels like a threat.

Basically, if Neil Nitin Mukesh using his amputated limb to do some weird sexy stuff is a moment to look forward to in a film, I'm passing on it.

*
This interview the head of the Glasgow Film Festival, which is doing an India theme this year, basically represents everything I hate about the Western attitude towards both Indian cinema and Bollywood.

“Everyone has an image of Bollywood cinema as all-singing, all-dancing three-hour films with romance and melodrama, but there seems to be a sudden flourishing of independent Indian cinema that people were trying to tell different stories in different ways, and reflect some of the realities of life in India. It just seemed a good moment to take a look at what was going on in Indian cinema.”

Allow me to counter that point with a macro:



(courtesy of
this blog)

Look, brosef, just because YOU have this image of Bollywood cinema as all-singing, all-dancing three-hour melodrama films doesn't mean that a) it's true, b) those things are bad, and c) the inclusion of melodrama and song-dance mean that a film does not reflect on the realities of life in India.

I'd also take issue with the use of the phrase "independent cinema" to describe films like
Road Movie, which was financed, in part, by the same HOLLYWOOD studio that is making the big budget Cowboys & Aliens. Oh, please, smart white guy, do tell me how that is "independent" and "representing the realities of life in India" while something like the song-dance filled Dabangg, which was mostly just funded by Arbaaz Khan, is somehow inauthentic.

Read an interview with
Vishal Bhardwaj:

THR: Your evolution as a filmmaker seems to indicate that you are increasingly incorporating international sensibilities as was evident in your previous release Kaminey which seemed like a tribute to Guy Ritchie's gangland dramas. How do you see this influencing your future films?

Bhardwaj: After
Maqbool, I became disoriented because I felt the film should have reached out more to the Western market, especially after the film got a standing ovation at Toronto and other major festivals. When I did Omkara it did reach out to the diaspora audience (in addition to the domestic Indian market) but by then it seemed international festivals were promoting typical formulaic Bollywood films. But then I realized that over the years my films have carved out their own domestic market. The Indian film industry is really a self-sufficient market. We don't need to look outside for any support unlike other countries like Iran which don't have a big domestic market and hence need outside support. So now I really make films for my market and as a result, I think I have started making better films. I mean we get good malt whiskey in our country also so I am happy!


I dislike Guy Ritichie, which, if was the influence, explains why I disliked
Kaminey.

* Shahrukh has funded a documentary on
Mughal-e-Azam - he would probably like us talking more about that than his tax troubles.

* Thank god for
Bebo's hilarious quotes.

On being asked about competition from her contemporaries Katrina and Priyanka Chopra, she saucily replied, "I thought you were talking about actors!"

* The
Times of India helpfully runs down the Katrina-Priyanka drama for us while discussing a remake of Bride Wars that I hope NEVER EVER sees the light of day.

* Those rumors of the Amy Jackson-Prateik Babbar film are
back. Does the media think we have a 30-second attention span or something? The last I heard, the film was shelved because Amy couldn't get the Indian mannerisms down.

* Are Bengali films moving to a
profit sharing model for actors?

* Here's a story for Sunny Malik - Imran Khan's toy helicopter was
confiscated at customs.

* Ram Gopal Varma's
KSD Appalaraju is a satire on Tollywood.

* Fans find Katrina-Ranbir in
Amsterdam. Hmm... I wonder what they're doing there... *cough cough* "Dum maro du-uuuuuuuummmmm.......!"

7 comments:

rugged said...

how come you quote anupama chopra so many times, and never mention her by name ?

Filmi Girl said...

@rugged I guess I never noticed... I probably shouldn't admit that I don't always look at the by-lines.

*ducks*

I always link to the articles quote, though. So, if people are curious, they can click through.

Kiran said...

Regarding the profit sharing article, maybe you should edit it to specify that Tollywood here means Bengali movies, not Telugu movies.

Filmi Girl said...

@Kiran Thank you for pointing that out!!! I edited it. :)

I pull these together early in the morning, so mistakes do happen. I always appreciate when people point them out. :)))

Lime(tte) said...

Love your comment on that crappy Glasgow Film Festival statement! Take that... ahm, everyone :)

ruggedboyz said...

its just that both Anupama chopra and Rajeev Masand are big names in India,
Just like you are to us, their reviews are eagerly awaited every friday night on TV of the latest bollywood releases
They being entertainment correspondents to equivalents of cnn n msnbc here, NDTV and CNN IBN, they are quiet well known to all film lovers in Apna India

Filmi Girl said...

@rugged You make an excellent point and I will try to remember to look for her byline from now on. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl