Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday Gossip! Short Edition!

Good morning!

Sorry - Blogger crashed while I was compiling this, so you have a curtailed gossip post today...

* Reading between the lines on stories about
Don 2, it seems that Western audiences are Shahrukh's goal.

"It was one thing for Shah Rukh to portray the Indian don wanted in 11 countries. In 'Don 2', his character wants to rule Europe. Shah Rukh's clothes, cars, girls, gadgets, body language and perfume had to convey a global aura," said a source.

"Don 2" is said to be assembled on an international scale. And there would probably be a full-scale international version of the film for an NRI global market with the songs eliminated and the drama reduced.


Right. Because the "international version" thing worked so well for
Kites. Look, Shahrukh, I like you - I do - but you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. Indian audiences HAVE to be your target and then you can think about global audiences. But I'm telling you right now that unless your film is as clever as something like Korean monster movie The Host, the people who watch foreign films in the US are not going to go for it. You would be much better off making an English-language version of Don in Hollywood than in aiming a Hindi-language Don 2 at global audiences.

* Karan Johar is signing
new composers for his hooker-tastic Agneepath. On the one hand, I must applaud his recent dedication for signing new talent but on the other, I am beginning to suspect that he is doing it because he's cheap.

* "Kajra Mohabbat Walla" will
be remade for Tanu Weds Manu. I think I can speak for everyone when I say that Kangana in male drag is something I am looking forward to.

* IIFA is making the wrong kind of headlines. Amitabh is out;
hotel bills are left unpaid in Sri Lanka;

* Ajay Devgn finally roped into
Koffee With Karan.

* From TV to Film...
C.I.D.

* Has Asin finally
ditched her father?

5 comments:

Carol said...

" with the songs eliminated and the drama reduced."

If I wanted to see an action movie without songs, I'd watch Mission Impossible. If I'm watching you, Shahrukh Khan, you better DANCE.

Rahul said...

the host was truly a gem.. loved it.
did u watch i am a cyborg but that's ok.
another gem acc to me :)

Filmi Girl said...

@rahul I have seen that! Loved it! Korean film is very unique...

Bombay Talkies said...

Heh...maybe Karan was the inspiration for Rishi's character in Luck By Chance...

"How much are they paying you?"
"5,000 rupees."
"5,000? That's it?"
"Romy uncle said 5 was his lucky number."
"Darling, if he could get away with it Romy's lucky number would be zero."

Bluemay said...

I'm offended by the "source"! NRIs do like songs and dancing in Bolly movies, we just also want a good, coherent story too. Western audiences that are aware of Bollywood (and not Indian parallel cinema) want to see the song/dance numbers but the numbers have to move the plot/story along and not be a music video randomly inserted into the movie.

Interesting about unpaid hotel bills from IFFA but the article fails to say who is responsible for payment ----IFFA or the stars? The India media at it's best again...

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl