Thursday, January 6, 2011

Star Screen Awards 2011!

Well, it’s awards season, so let’s kick things off with a bang! I’ll try to keep up with whatever awards shows seem interesting but there are too many to promise them all.

THE FILMS

Best Film:
Udaan

[Really? I suspect we won’t be seeing much for this one in other awards ceremonies. My money is on
Ishqiya for the Filmfare with SRK snagging Best Actor for MNIK.]

Best Dialogue: Habib Faisal for
Band Baaja Baraat [To quote Trey Songz: YUUUUP!]

Best Screenplay: Anjum Rajabali and Prakash Jha for
Raajneeti [Where is Mario Puzo’s credit?! Funny that everybody cared so much about writing credit for a flop 1960s Peter Sellers film but when it’s The Godfather... not a peep.]

Best Director: Vikramaditya Motwane for
Udaan
Most Promising Debut Director: Maneesh Sharma for
Band Baaja Baaraat

ACTORS AND ACTRESSES

Best Actor (Popular Choice): Shahrukh Khan for
My Name Is Khan [Of course.]
Best Actor (Jury Choice): Salman Khan for
Dabangg

[Another interesting choice. Was he really “acting” - he was entertaining but I would have stuck Sallu in for the next award and given the Best Actor to either Arjun or Ranbir for
Raajneeti or Naseer for Ishqiya.]

Best “Performer”: Ajay Devgn in
Golmaal 3

Best Actress (Popular Choice): Katrina Kaif for
Raajneeti
Best Actress (Jury Choice): Vidya Balan for
Ishqiya

[Double YAY for the Best Actress Awards! Two great performances - the only other one that stood out this year was Aishwarya Rai in
Guzaarish.]

Best Supporting Actor: Arshad Warsi for
Ishqiya [HOORAY!!!!!!!!]
Best Supporting Actress: Shernaz Patel for
Guzaarish

Best Actor/ress in a Comic Role: Sanjay Mishra for
Phas Gaye Re Obama [I am dying to see this one.]
Best Actor/ress in a Villain Role: Ronit Roy for
Udaan [No Sonu Sood? Really? I’ve got my fingers crossed that Filmfare brings the Best Villain reward out of retirement for Sonu.]

Most Promising Actor: Ranveer Singh for
Band Baaja Baaraat
Most Promising Actress: Sonakshi Sinha for
Dabangg

[I agree on both.]

Best Ensemble Cast:
Peepli Live

Best Child Artiste: Ayaan Barodia for
Udaan

MUSIC AND SINGERS

Best “Music”: (Tie) Sajid Wajid for
Dabangg and Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy for My Name Is Khan

[Um...
MNIK? WHY?]

Best Playback Singer, Male: Rahat Fateh Ali Khan for “Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji” from
Ishqiya

Best Playback Singer, Female: Shreya Ghoshal for “Bahara” from
I Hate Luv Storys [I will never understand why these syrupy vocals from Shreya always win when she does more interesting stuff.]

Best New Talent In Music: Mamta Sharma for “Munni Badnaam” from
Dabangg

Best Background Score: Wayne Sharp for
Raajneeti

Best Lyrics: Gulzar for “Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji” from
Ishqiya

Best Choreography: Farah Khan for “Munni Badnaam” from
Dabangg

SPECIAL AWARDS

Ramnath Goenka Memorial Awards:
My Name Is Khan

Special Jury Awards For Spectacular Cutting Of Age Technology:
Robot [ROBOOOOOOO! ROBO! ROBO! I LOVE ROBO!]

PICTURES

(from
Filmicafe)



ARSHAD WARSI!



Sonakshi Sinha!



A scary looking Piggy Chops... can somebody get this woman a sandwich, ASAP?



Katrina Kaif!



Step off, beeyotch! Oh, Kat, I'm way cuter than that lady - why not bring me over to be your handler...?



BFF! Karan Johar and Shahrukh Khan!





Do you even know how much I love seeing Rekha around?



Vidya Balan! Dia Mirza!



Shahid Kapoor, who by all accounts ROCKED the stage!

3 comments:

Amaluu said...

I would contest that Arshad shouldn't only be a Supporting Actor ... his role was just as prominent as Naseerudin's in Ishqiya! That said, I am SO SO SO thrilled that he won it. Industry betta recognize!

Ajay winning Best Performer is sooo dumb. You're so right that THAT award should have been Sallu's, Best Actor should have been Naseerudin (although in my eyes, I'd give it to Rishi Kapoor for Do Dooni Char - gawd he was amazing in that movie!).

Piggy's starting to look like a lollipop head. It's not cute.

And who done shrunk SRK? He's looking really diminished. I hope he's healthy, cuz he doesn't look it.

Love the pics of Rekha & Vidya in their traditional Kanjivaram sarees. I wonder if they were speaking in Tamil to each other?

And your girl Kat is looking lovely.

I wish more of these girls would wear Indian clothes though ...

Shell said...

Well I can't speak on Udaan as I haven't seen it but HOORAY!!! for Arshad for being recognized as the supreme talent he is (although, I totally agree with Amaluu - that movie had 3 equal starring roles as far as I'm concerned). And how dapper does he look in that pic! Yummy!!

I don't quite get the best "performer" category. Isn't that just another way of saying best actor in a role that may or may not require actual acting, but we already have one of those so lets make up another one?

Man, do I have to see BBB soon!

Lime(tte) said...

Love your comments on these... Thanks for sharing.

But I don't agree with you on Sonu Sood - I didn't like him at all in Dabangg. That man needs a bra and a hair-dresser, that's all I can say.

Yeah, Priyanka has lost a lot of weight! She didn't look that skinny in Anjaana Anjaani!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl